• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Which 3 species have you most of in the garden at present? (1 Viewer)

songbird6666

Mine are -
1) Jackdaws (at least 40, up to 80 or more sometimes!) :eek!:
2) Greenfinches (counted 25 today, may have been more at another feeder behind the trees)
3) Dead heat between House Sparrows or Chaffinches, around 18-20.

1 - Starlings
2 - House Sparrows
3 - Blue Tits

That is odd as the first two are supposed to be in decline! They are all over the place. Might be down to my generous portions of seeds!?

Err, do squirrels count?

Otherwise:
1. great tit (up to 7 at a time, mostly juveniles)
2. blue tit (3 or 4 at a time)
3. coal tit (2)

Strangely, if you had asked me one month ago the answer would have been:
1. greater spotted woodpecker (family of 3 in garden constantly)
2. greenfinch (2 or 3 at a time)
3. chaffinch (2 or 3 at a time)

And if you'd asked in April it would have been:
1. siskin (3 or 4 at a time)
2. dunnock (2)
3. great tit (2)

Of course for the RSPB garden birdwatch they all hid. Except the robin, who never left the garden and clearly wanted to be registered in the statistics. As soon as the watch hour was up, in flocked the dodoes, emu, albino albatrosses and penguins!

Blimey, Songbird, is there any room for people in your garden? How many of the "less common" ones do you get?

I'm not sure of numbers (they come and go too much), but they're nothing like yours. My three most common are:

1. Greenfinches
2. Goldfinches
3. Woodpigeons

Songbird, I was thinking...along the lines of Bluetail, that you must have one large yard, and NOISY!!!
Mine would have to be
1) Juvenile Starlings (yukky)and Grackles (blah) duking it out for first with the juvie Red-wing black bird (eh) in the morning.
2) Mourning Doves throughout the day
3a) House sparrow (super yukky) when I come outside but
3b) American Goldfinch when I am inside
With the House finches joining in all day long.
This count changes every couple weeks, depending on who is doing what and when!!
Shelley

shelley810 said:
3a) House sparrow (super yukky) when I come outside

Super yukky?? outrageous comment!!

Well for me its
1. House Sparrow
2. Blackbird (the male is in fine voice)
3. Starling

For us at present it's -

1) Goldfinches c.10
2) House Sparrow c.8
3) Blackbird c.6

We normally get a lot of Tits and Greenfinches but they are lacking in numbers at the moment.

Andrew said:
1 - Starlings
2 - House Sparrows
3 - Blue Tits

That is odd as the first two are supposed to be in decline! They are all over the place. Might be down to my generous portions of seeds!?

Exactly the same for me here in Welwyn.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back