• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birds in my garden (1 Viewer)

2slo

Hello everyone. My first post on this forum and I thought I'd show you some of the birds which either live in my garden, visit the bird table or just fly over! So first we have one of the pair of Nuthatches which are nesting in a hollow branch in one of our trees:

6405433689_5f5ba422cf_b.jpg

One of many Tits which live in the garden:

6389360855_bcf49aed7b_b.jpg

A greater spotted male woodpecker who paid us a visit yesterday:

6405372547_733e120811_b.jpg

A visiting long tailed Tit:

6405417315_a13643ea22_b.jpg

And this flew overhead today. a Buzzard perhaps?

6411707351_485bc3b134_b.jpg

I hope you like these. I'll post some more as I take them.

Mark |=)|

Hi there and a warm welcome to you from those of us on staff here at BirdForum :t:

Looks like you've got quite a nice selection of garden birds.

Thank you, we have a few interesting birds in the garden and are surrounded by fields and woodland so lots of variety nearby.

Welcome to BirdForum! I am sure you will find lots to interest you here, and I hope that you enjoy your visits. That's a lovely selection of garden visitors and the nuthatch in the first shot is great.

Thanks. Struggled with the Buzzard pic as I only have a 200mm lens at present so that was a 100% crop. Annoying since the bird was moving slowly and the light was just right. I need a longer lens!

Mark.

last pic is buzzard. You are very lucky with your garden birds!

I think I would like to have your garden !

Thanks. Nothing special, just borders fields and a wooded area so ideal for certain birds. Been out looking for the greater spotted woodpecker today but he isn't living up to his title!

Some new photos from today. After the male greater spotted woodpecker visited a few days ago I was delighted to see this female land today:

6419458497_3814988555_z.jpg6419472021_c6e582a935_z.jpg
6419485781_1822c87ca2_z.jpg

I don't know if they are especially rare but they are colourful and interesting to watch. Very noisy though!

Mark |:d|

Nice shots of the woodpecker, i've only had one in my garden once and that was for a few seconds and i didn't manage to get any shots. I do have a male sparrowhawk which comes in daily to check out any small birds at my feeders so he scares them off for an hour or so.Where do you live in Co Durham ?

Nice shots of the woodpecker, i've only had one in my garden once and that was for a few seconds and i didn't manage to get any shots. I do have a male sparrowhawk which comes in daily to check out any small birds at my feeders so he scares them off for an hour or so.Where do you live in Co Durham ?

Thanks, I've often watched the garden birds but only seen the Woodpeckers twice (although I've often heard them!). I live near Lanchester.

The usual tits and nuthatches today, plus we were visited by the greater spotted woodpeckers again, the female pictured below:

6436920237_4671417f40_z.jpg

We also had this bird in the garden. I haven't seen it before and couldn't ID it, I've posted it in the ID section too, but here for info if anyone knows what it is:

6436787819_12191d0a3e_z.jpg

6436816469_d4739fcba4_z.jpg

Mark |=)|

ETA: from the id section I've had a reply to say that the last bird is apparently a male chaffinch.

Last edited:
Haven't seen any woodpeckers (gr spotted) today, usual Nuthatches, Robin, a pair of Blackbirds eating the red berries from the bushes and the odd peanut that the messy Nuthatches had dropped on the ground next to the bird table (but they wouldn't actually land on the table). Several types of Tit, including a couple of Bluetits, here's one from this morning:

6460295211_1edc5d2760_z.jpg

Also another new (to me) bird I couldn't identify, I'll put a photo in the ID section tomorrow when I have time |=)|

yes the above is chaffinch, what did the other look like? I would post these in the 'very busy at the birdfeeder' thread as you will get more replies as there are lots of posters. Get yourself a good ID book, I can recommend the RSPB book of british birds for a beginner, you can get it for a few pounds from the usual online sources.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back