• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

What bird are you most proud of having in your garden? (1 Viewer)

Krispo

Newbie Birder For Life
Hello everyone,

Including fly-overs what bird are you most proud of haveing in your garden? For me it was an avocet fly-over low, 1 day after I saw my very first one! sod's law!

Kristian

P.S. Add photos if possible, please.

Last edited:
A great grey shrike in the snowy, cold winter of 1975! I count myself beaten by a friend, though, whose wife called him to see a "strange bird turning its head all the way round..." - a wryneck in his Boston garden; and even by my neighbour who, last year, had a peregrine land briefly on his bird table - wow!

OOOOh a thread made for me. Absolute highlight in bold

White-rumped Sandpiper(from), White-winged Black Tern (from), Pectoral Sandpiper(from), Long-tailed Skua (from) Sabines Gull (from) Richard's Pipit (Over), Pomarine Skua (Over), Honey Buzzard (Over) Pallas Warbler (IN), Grey Plover (IN) Yellow-browed Warbler (IN) Hoopoe (In) Black Redstart (In) Wryneck (IN), Leach's Petrel (IN)

For me it was a Turtle Dove April 2002. Turned up with many of the usual collared doves sat on OUR fence and hopped into next doors garden! It was a good bird due to where I live and the time of year.

Just goes to show, after seeing others reports, how important gardens can be.

I still like to see GS woodie though.

Eagle Owl, sat on the roof of the house 'singing'. I was able to 'grip off' a leading (400+) UK twitcher by holding the phone out the window for him to hear.... oh.... and a Wallcreeper climbing the wall of the nearby castle from the garden.

at home, A Water Rail on my lawn last year o:)

at work (a bigger garden) it would have to be Barn Owl, they nested in one of my boxes three years running.

Jane Turner said:

White-rumped Sandpiper(from), White-winged Black Tern (from), Pectoral Sandpiper(from), Long-tailed Skua (from) Sabines Gull (from) Richard's Pipit (Over), Pomarine Skua (Over), Honey Buzzard (Over) Pallas Warbler (IN), Grey Plover (IN) Yellow-browed Warbler (IN) Hoopoe (In) Black Redstart (In) Wryneck (IN), Leach's Petrel (IN)
Jane,

Leach's petrel in your garden. WOW! crash landing?

kajrowe said:
Jane,

Leach's petrel in your garden. WOW! crash landing?

I've had about 5 now, front and back garden! I also had an octopus once which was a bit of a surprise. It was of course deceased!

I can't pick just one, it wouldn't be fair to the rest.

Blood-colored Woodpecker, Green-tailed Jacamar, Laughing Falcon, White-winged Becard, Cinereous Becard, and Violaceous Euphonia.

Last edited:
Jane Turner said:
I've had about 5 now, front and back garden! I also had an octopus once which was a bit of a surprise. It was of course deceased!

Didn't the Beatles (or at least Ringo) write a song about that ?

I'd say it's a toss up between two birds: The Golden-winged Warbler feeding in my apple tree one May morning was pretty special (considering the dramatically declining numbers found in CT and sadly across the country too these days) and was probably the bird that got me really hooked on birding. As good as that was, probably my favourite was the Worm-eating Warblers that stayed on to breed succesfully last year - it actually makes you feel like your garden is performing a useful purpose.

Luke

Although they're in my garden nearly all year round now I still take great pleasure in seeing Song Thrushes after their decline a few years back. Rarest was a wryneck I've also had snow bunting in and a honey buzz over.

Best birds we have had in our yard (a very residential area, with a small yard).

#1 American Woodcock (aka, "Timberdoodle") One landed in our yard a few years ago. Never before and never since! It was here probably about ten or fifteen seconds. It landed in our yard, probed in some mud a few times and then flew off. Quite exciting!

White-winged Dove, coming to the bird feeder and stayed for about eight days. Unusual for our area. We had about fifty birders from outlying areas of the state come to see "our" bird.

Wood Ducks, a pair flew over the yard and landed in a neighbor's tree.

Wild Turkey and Northern Bobwhites strolling through our yard.

Mississippi Kite and Northern Goshawk, flyovers.

Any wood warber is a "good bird" for our yard and here are the ones we have seen in our yard. *Birds in bold type are one time visitors and the others have been seen more than once.
Black-and-white, Prothonotary, Tennessee, Orange-crowned, Nashville, Northern Parula, Yellow, Magnolia, Yellow-rumped (Myrtle), Black-throated Green, Blackburnian, Chestnut-sided, Blackpoll, Palm, Ovenbird, Kentucky, Common yellowthroat, Wilson's and American Redstart.

Red-headed Woodpecker, one time only!

No octopuses (octopi?) here, but highlights include
little egret (from), white-fronted goose (from), smew (from), osprey (from & over), avocet (from), med. gull (from), kingfisher (from), water pipit (from), waxwing (in), tree sparrow (in), spot. fly. (in).
Also bottle-nosed dolphin (from NOT in!).

Rob

Jane Turner said:

Hi Jane
I seem to remember reading an article on the Deeside website by Richard Smith regarding a report of 76 species seen in a day from a garden.

Was it you by any chance?

Maurice

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back