• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

2016 Autumn passage, Catalunya (1 Viewer)

pandachris

On previous visits to the region in September/October I've noted a surprising number of raptor passing over Tarragona, especially on but not restricted to duller mornings.

We're in Tarragona for 2 nights next week, mainly for the festival and then transferring for Barcelona for 3 nights, ditto and then after a trip into Aragon for a few nights we're in Valls and Tarragona for the Concurs de Castells. Although we don't expect to have lots of time for birding in Catalunya I'll post anything that catches my eye here and if anybody else is in the region and wants to add, that would be appreciated. I believe that whilst we're building human towers in Barcelona on the 25th, there is a bird watching event in the Ebro Delta. We might make it there on the 3rd or 4th October.

Locations:

Tarragona - we're staying in the Hotel Placa de la Font and the balconies of that hotel have been quite productive in the past with a variety of raptors and other species over. We'll be at the Baixada de l'Aliga until about 03:00 on the 21st/22nd so I might not be up early.

Barcelona - we're at Hostal Poblenou in (unsurprisingly) El Poblenou. A short walk away there is an area of lawns, bushes and low ridges adjacent to the beach. I've been here in September for the last three years and it is always full of migrant passerines. One morning I identified 7 different 'sylvia' species. I will try to get there on the mornings of 24th-26th inclusive. I don't think we'll have time to get up to Tibidabo this year, although the day we made it there in 2015 there was virtually nothing, not even a few hirundines. It's normally been quite good.

Valls - I'll see if I can spot anything although we've got a busy schedule on the 1st and 2nd. A couple of years ago we noted a small passage of Booted and Short-toed Eagles over the town and on the same day, several other large raptors over nearby Reus.

One large raptor circling to the north west of Tarragona cathedral, seen from our taxi from the airport at about 10:15 and two Swallows are all we've seen so far, but we've got a 5th floor hotel room so should be close to the birds tomorrow morning. If I make it up at a decent time.

I've been watching the skies above Plaça de la Font for about 90 minutes as well as the Prego etc. for Santa Tecla. 1 Swallow and 2 Cormorants. Then about 10 minutes ago, as the sun is setting, hundreds of Swallows over in wave after wave.

Last night's Swallow passage continued for about 15 minutes then ceased as abruptly as it began. I'm guessing 3-400 birds but I wasn't counting.

This morning has begun with scattered clouds. No birds except pigeons yet but I'm optimistic.

Medium-sized raptor over heading south-west as expected. Most likely Honey Buzzard but went by low and too fast to see any features.

Last edited:
Very quiet for the last hour. Less passage than on several previous years and raptor volumes comparable to morning walks with Allen (above) rather than observations from Hotel Plaça de la Font. Apart from the Crag Martins, no hirundines and no swifts so far today. Most of the coastal cloud has burned off.

At about 16:00 from a bar on Plaça de la Font a medium-sized raptor that might turn out, on inspection of the photo to be a Marsh Harrier.

I was awoken by the gallery players of the 4 local castellers groups starting their wake up tour of the city. 100% cloud cover at the moment. Think I'll start.

3 single Swallows, all high up so probably more. Missed a raptor because I chose a quiet period to shower. I would have had to go out on the balcony naked save for binoculars to have a chance of ID and that would have been a bad result for everyone.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back