• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Which birds visit your feeders the most? (1 Viewer)

In South Australia, to a feeder with good quality poultry mix and handouts of homemade 'bird bread' containing minerals and vitamins (necessary because they take this solid food back to the nest to feed their chicks):

Silver Gulls
House sparrows (introduced)
Red Wattlebirds
English Blackbirds (introduced)
Crested Pigeons
Australian White-backed Magpies
Australian Magpie Larks
Purple Swamp Hens
Australian White Ibises
Mallards (introduced)
Pacific Black Ducks

And to a hanger with pure fruit juice:
Singing Honeyeaters.

Other birds visit, but don't actually use the feeders. I have not yet experimented with live food, such as mealworms. Up to now, although there are a number of raptors in this area, they have not noticed the feeding stations - possibly because of the large birds that visit.

Before the Finch Virus passed through it was Grenfinch, sadly that has changed.

1] House Sparrows 30+
2] Goldfinch 10+
3] Starlings - about 10 most days though can be a lot more.
4] Blue Tit
5] Greenfinch
6] Great Tit - 2 always arrive with the Blue Tits
7] Blackbird - including "Vic" our partial male albino
8] Dunnock

On an odd visit but normally daily we get a Wren, Robin, Collared Dove, Chaffinch. But a welcome but unwelcome visitors are the Sparrowhawk family... we have had Mr, Mrs & Jnr but all at different times thankfully.

Great to see that the House Sparrow is figuring so high on everyones list, look like the tide has turned for them.

These days I can count on 4-6 blue jays every morning, and perhaps 15-25 house sparrows show up most days. I sometimes get 3-6 pigeons but usually don't count them because I hate them. That's about it right now. I wish the chickadees would come to my yard - I KNOW they are out there, for I saw my first one this season last week!

I have had some feeders up in my garden for just over a week and am increasingly delighted with the results. I thought all the little birds had gone from this area.. how wrong I was. I have a peanut feeder, black sunflower feeder and fat balls, all hanging from small trees about 25 feet from the house. So Bradford suburbia still has something to offer: I'm not sure about the numbers really as I can't yet recognise individual birds (I can tell males and females etc) - but at any one time there have been for example:
6+ bluetits
5 blackbirds (on berry bushes)
5 greenfinch
5 house sparrows (seen only once, but all together)
2 coal tits
2 great tits
1 chaffinch
1 robin
1 dunnock
2 magpies supervise the proceedings under the general leadership of a couple of crows.
Fights broke out this morning - the greenfinch hogging the sunflower seeds. the bluetits flying at them to try to make them leave. Perhaps I will have to put up more options.

Last edited:
Gillian_M said:
These days I can count on 4-6 blue jays every morning, and perhaps 15-25 house sparrows show up most days. I sometimes get 3-6 pigeons but usually don't count them because I hate them. That's about it right now. I wish the chickadees would come to my yard - I KNOW they are out there, for I saw my first one this season last week!
Are you feeding Black Oil Sunflower seeds? Sometimes with new feeder set-ups it takes a few days for the birds to find them.

snowyowl said:
Are you feeding Black Oil Sunflower seeds? Sometimes with new feeder set-ups it takes a few days for the birds to find them.

Yes, and I have been using a mixed sunflower/nut feed since the late summer. I think the problem is that I live really close to a conservation area, and the chickadees don't need to leave the trails because soooo many people bring them food! I get mobbed whenever I go out....the chickadees were even landing on my head last weekend when I was too slow getting out the sunflower seeds!

Or perhaps they just don't like competing with the house sparrows.

*shrugs*

I get these following species the most during the winter months, every day.

-California Towhee
-Dark Eyed Junco
-Scrub Jay
-White-breasted Nuthatch
-Oak Titmouse
-Lesser Goldfinch
-American Goldfinch
-House Finch
-Song Sparrow
-Acorn Woodpecker, every other day approximately

Have a good one, Alex

flippsy said:
I have had some feeders up in my garden for just over a week and am increasingly delighted with the results. I thought all the little birds had gone from this area.. how wrong I was. I have a peanut feeder, black sunflower feeder and fat balls, all hanging from small trees about 25 feet from the house. So Bradford suburbia still has something to offer: I'm not sure about the numbers really as I can't yet recognise individual birds (I can tell males and females etc) - but at any one time there have been for example:
6+ bluetits
5 blackbirds (on berry bushes)
5 greenfinch
5 house sparrows (seen only once, but all together)
2 coal tits
2 great tits
1 chaffinch
1 robin
1 dunnock
2 magpies supervise the proceedings under the general leadership of a couple of crows.
Fights broke out this morning - the greenfinch hogging the sunflower seeds. the bluetits flying at them to try to make them leave. Perhaps I will have to put up more options.

Try a feeder with NIGER seed in,the Goldfinches may start to come. I tried it and no now I get at least 6 every day

1/ Doves - lovely looking birds, but 8 or 9 at a time - I've recently put trays under the feeders to catch spilled seed, which means that they can now sit on them and eat from the feeders. Costing me a fortune in seed. Still, all God's creatures etc etc

2/ House Sparrows

3/ Goldfinches (put the nyger feeders up in the UK and I almost guarantee you'll see them within 2 months)

4/ Dunnocks

In spring the Starlings came in their masses, but haven't seen any for months.

yes nyger seed works beautifully. i get 10-30 goldfinches on a regular basis and while they wait their turn they check out my birdbath and their noise brings in other birds as well. a simple sock feeder will do the trick.

JimMorris said:
Try a feeder with NIGER seed in,the Goldfinches may start to come. I tried it and no now I get at least 6 every day

Hi Jim,

We're in Uttoxeter (down the road from you!) and *used* to get 6+ goldfinches on our niger seed feeders - now we don't see any! Have you noticed a recent decline since the summer?

Paul.

1. house sparrow
2. chaffinch
3. blue tit
4. great tit
5. robin
6. starling
7. coal tit
8. greenfinch
9. goldfinch
10. long tailed tit

just waiting for the returning redpolls and siskins now

Oggy99 said:

We're in Uttoxeter (down the road from you!) and *used* to get 6+ goldfinches on our niger seed feeders - now we don't see any! Have you noticed a recent decline since the summer?

Paul.

I used to get upto 6 goldfinch, after black sunflower seeds, all through last winter but since spring haven't seen one in the garden (despite the recent addition of niger seeds

last winter I had one sparrow but that has increased to about 8 this year
plus a few blue tits and great tits,
but just one greenfinch, chaffinch, dunnock and robin

Top three

1) Blue Tit

2) Goldfich

3) House Sparrow

I have been feeding Nyjer seed for about two years and have had good numbers @30
of Goldfinch all through Autumn to Spring as well as Siskins @6 late winter to Spring.
However I have just tried Sunflower hearts for the first time, wow!! they are such a hit
mostly with Goldfinches but also many others, the amount of Nyjer I am going to use will go down drastically, but I`m having to re-fill a large seed feeder almost daily with
Sunflower-hearts, I`d recommend them to anyone who wants to encourage Goldfinches.

Hi,

we get the following in reasonable numbers

1. collared doves (15)
2. greenfinches
3. goldfinches
4. starlings
5. blackbirds
6. chaffinches
7. dunnocks
8. magpie x 2
9. pheasant x 1 (sometimes brings his two ladies along)
10. blue and great tits.
11. sparrowhawk
12. Robin x 2
13. Song thrush
14. great spotted woodpecker x 1
15. tawny owl x 2
we used to get loads of long tail tits but havent seen these for a few weeks
the sparrowhawk does a fly pass each day and causes mayhem in the garden but he is rarely successfull.
3 grey squirrels which our two elderly cats growl and hiss at (they leave the birds alone!).
and yesterday for the first time (that we know of!) a grey heron eyeing up our carp in the pond (heavily guarded with net....).

In the last week :

8 x long tailed tit
1 x coal tit
2 x blue tit
2 x great tit
1 x goldfinch
4 x jackdaw
2 x mistle thrush

On the edge of Epping Forest we get in order:

Blue tit
Great tit
Robin
Magpie
Starling
Blackbird
Woodpigeon
Collared Dove
Greenfinch

others in small numbers:

Chaffinch
Lesser spotted woodpecker
Wren
Dunnock

Ratios of birds on my two hole seed feeder seems to change with the time of year. At the moment there doesnt' seem to be a particular 'most popular' out of
Goldfinch, (niger seed works wonders)
Blue Tit
Coal Tit,
Great Tit.

chaffinches pick at the dropped bits, as do robins

I don't see so many Greenfinches this time of year - their numbers climb in the spring - saying that I'll probably get a rush on them tomorrow.

I expect to see Greater Spotted Woodpecker if the weather dips.

I don't get sparrows - can't remember the last time I saw one in the garden nor starlings.

I did have a pheasant try to work a system for getting down to the feeder but it wasn't the brightest bird in the bunch and gave up.
Oh - I've also had a house mouse and a field mouse

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back