• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Which birds visit your feeders the most? (1 Viewer)

The birds that visit my feeders in my garden in Garbajosa in the Central Spain Highland the most are as follows:-

1. Passer domesticus

2. Parus major

3. Parus caeruleus.

4. Erithacus rubecula

barron garden

starling
house sparrow
blue tit 2
great tit 2
magpie
blackbird
jackdaw
thats in the 5 years i have lived here has anybody got a smaller list i think not!
cheers will cook

I am very envious of many of you! I am in Kent, very close to the countryside and all I ever see on the feeders are house sparrows and starlings. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy watching them, but some variety would be nice! I have tried different brands of mixed seed and now have sunflower hearts (as I recall) plus a coconut shell containing a fat & seed mix, but no change. Collared doves linger around the feeders, but only the sparrows and starlings use them.

Aside from those I have seen blackbirds, greenfinches, magpies, one goldfinch, a dunnock and recently a wren in the garden, plus pied wagtails on the roof. Tits live nearby, but never come to the garden. I have only ever seen one Goldfinch near our house - is it still worth putting up Nyger feeders?

(BTW, there was once had a sparrowhawk eating a pigeon in our tiny garden when we lived in Dagenham, Essex, but my wife went outside and scared it away before I'd had a chance to have a good look. She's not very sympathetic to birdwatching.)

GrumpyEagle said:
I am very envious of many of you! I am in Kent, very close to the countryside and all I ever see on the feeders are house sparrows and starlings. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy watching them, but some variety would be nice! I have tried different brands of mixed seed and now have sunflower hearts (as I recall) plus a coconut shell containing a fat & seed mix, but no change. Collared doves linger around the feeders, but only the sparrows and starlings use them.

Aside from those I have seen blackbirds, greenfinches, magpies, one goldfinch, a dunnock and recently a wren in the garden, plus pied wagtails on the roof. Tits live nearby, but never come to the garden. I have only ever seen one Goldfinch near our house - is it still worth putting up Nyger feeders?

(BTW, there was once had a sparrowhawk eating a pigeon in our tiny garden when we lived in Dagenham, Essex, but my wife went outside and scared it away before I'd had a chance to have a good look. She's not very sympathetic to birdwatching.)
if you have that many birds in your garden then there should be more feeder action, one would think so anyway. What style of feeders are you using?
I have one squirrel-proof feeder that I filled with sunflower seed last fall and haven't touched it since whereas I have fill the other feeders daily.

North Wilts/Glos border

#1 - Greenfinch
#2 - Blue Tit
#3 - Great Tit
#4 - Chaffinch
#5 - Goldfinch
#6 - Coal Tit
Plus lots of Jackdaws, Wood Pigeons, Collared Doves,
Dunnocks, Magpies, Phil the Pheasant who comes at 12.30 most days ;)
The odd GS Woodpecker, Green Woodpecker and Sparrowhawk.
Haven't seen too many LT Tits, Brambling or Fieldfare in the garden this winter.

South Northamptonshire

1.Greenfinch
2.Goldfinch
3.Chaffinch
4.Great Tit
5.Blue Tit
6.Collared Dove

Plus one Jay and a Sparrowhawk which will sit on the fence for up to half an hour sometimes.Empties the garden of birds but only seen it once take one sparrow.Notable lack of Starlings which once descended on the garden in a huge flock and decimated everything edible in sight every winter,now mysteriously gone.Also only a lone blackbird occasionally,likewise one robin.

By # of visits:

1. Black-Capped Chickadees
2. Dark-Eyed Juncos
3. Blue Jays
4. Mourning Doves
5. Tufted Titmice

By volume consumed, probably:

1. Doves
2. Juncos
3. Blue Jays
4. Chickadees
5. Northern Cardinals

1 Sparrows
2 Collared doves
3 Starlings
4 Blackbirds
5 Dunnocks
6 Bluetits
7 Greattits
8 Coaltit
9 Greenfinches
10 Chaffinches
11 1 Robin
12 1 Wren
13 Magpie
14 Woodpigeon

The Sparrowhawk is a regular visitor too.Sadly we haven't seen the Song or Mistle Thrushes this winter.

flippsy said:
6+ bluetits
5 blackbirds (on berry bushes)
5 greenfinch
5 house sparrows (seen only once, but all together)
2 coal tits
2 great tits
4 chaffinch (now)
2 robins (now)
2 dunnocks (now)
2 magpies supervise the proceedings under the general leadership of a couple of crows.
I can now add the following to the list I made earlier:
long-tailed tits (OK only seen once.. |8(| )
Great spotted Woodpecker (yipee!!)
Goldfinch (arrived the morning after I put up the thistle feeder) (superb!)
wren
starling
collared doves
wood pigeon
I'm still hoping for siskin and bullfinch and blackcap... Bring on some hard weather soon!

I'm in my second year participating in Feederwatch and this fall has seen a huge number of species in my small (1/8 acre) property. The back garden is probably half the property with three feeders, two hummingbird feeders and the greatest prize of all, an Hachiya Persimmon tree - the birds love the fruit, though it makes a mess.

Birds in order of most numerous and regularly seen

Lesser Goldfinch
House Finch
White-crowned Sparrow
Golde-crowned Sparrow
Mourning Dove
Chestnut Backed Chickadee
Western Scrub Jay
Northern Mockingbird
Oak Titmouse
White-breasted Nutchatch
Nuttalls Woodpecker
Flicker
Purple Finch
Anna's Hummingbird
American Crow
Ruby-crowned Kinglet
California Towhee
Spotted Towhee
Yellow-rumped Warbler

The above are seen virtualy every week, a bit less common are

American Robin
Cedar Waxwing
Coopers Hawk
Merlin
Red tailed Hawk
Red-breasted Sapsucker
Black Phoebe
Bewicks Wren
Western Bluebird
Red-winged Blackbird
American Goldfinch
Hermit Thrush
Townsends Warbler
European Starling

Thats my list since November 3rd.

Grey Heron (of course not at the feder but at every little pond)
Sparrowhawk
Woodpigeon (favorite place above my car |=@|)
Great Spotted Woodpecker
Wren (not at the feeder, though)
Dunnock
Robin
Blackbird
Willow Tit
Marsh Tit
Crested Tit
Coal Tit
Blue Tit
Great Tit
Long-Tailed Tit
Nuthatch (Batman at the feeder)
Jay
Magpie
Tree Sparrow
Chaffinch
Brambling
Siskin
Redpoll
Greenfinch (dominating all other songbirds)
Crossbill (not at the feeder but at the firs)
Bullfinch
Hawfinch

Steve

Last edited:
snowyowl said:
if you have that many birds in your garden then there should be more feeder action, one would think so anyway. What style of feeders are you using?
I have one squirrel-proof feeder that I filled with sunflower seed last fall and haven't touched it since whereas I have fill the other feeders daily.

Just been using a common mixed seed feeder. Before that tried fat + seed balls, but always only starlings and sparrows. I'm amazed that I have never seen a blue or great tit in the garden. My in-laws live in Dover and get greenfinches, blue tits, great tits and occasionally dunnocks on their feeders.

Does anyone have an answer regarding nyger feeders? Is it worth getting one if I've only ever seen one goldfinch in the garden and one other within a mile?

Black Oil Sunflower seeds are the best all around seed for birds. Sunflower hearts are also very good but much more expensive. Niger is another very good one but studies have shown that the sunflower seed attacts every species that the niger does.

I am just going to account for what I have seen since I started feeding last summer.
Chicago, both on the feeders & ground.
Species.............. - Most counted:
1. House Sparrows - 5-30 could even be more (daily)
2. House Finch - 5 (daily)
3. Starlings - 10-15 (daily)
4. Morning Doves - 5 (daily)
5. Pigeons - 4 (daily)
6. Goldfinches - 3 (daily)
7. Downy Woodpecker - 1 (often)
8. Cardinal - 1 male, 1 female & 2 juvys (sometimes it's the male & female, sometimes it's the male w/the juvys & sometime the male & female are solo-probably my most favorite at the feeder)-daily
9. Coopers hawk - 1 actually in the yard, but when it flies, it always met w/a 2nd (only actually seen a handful of times, I am sure they pass when I'm not home have seen feathers that indicate so)
10. Junco - 2 (just noticed them yesterday)
11. Monk Parakeets - 3-10 (they don't bother me or the other birds, they don't strike me as bullies) (daily, I have seen them out there before I even leave for work)
12. Blue Jay - only 1, I don't offer peanuts yet. (rarely)
13. Robin - 1, over the summer (rarely)

& one time, I had a lot of activity back there. It was a cold day & I was cleaning the birdbath, I looked up & I think I saw redheaded woodpecker. The head was completely red & the body was black & white. It flew away & I have not seen it since, could be out there while I am at work, I don't know. I look for it over the weekends though.

I just bought a small water pump for the birdbath too, found it on ebay. I hope to draw more to the yard w/that. I will also be planting 2 serviceberry shrubs in the spring & 2 evergreen bushes. My yard is not huge, typical city sized lot-but I'll make the most of what I have to work with.

I think I must be attracting every cardinal in this area, male and female, I counted over 20 yesterday sitting in the tree waiting their turn on the feeder. A lot of wood thrushes, chickadee's, blue jays 1 or 2, 2 downy woodpeckers, (at least that's what they look like to me, but they are only missing the redspot on the head), 4 mourning doves, goldfinches, and some others I don't know what they are yet.

I have tried to make this yard as birdfriendly as possible, and every year add some more that will benefit the birdies. I planted some firethorn bushes last year and red bayberry for cardinals. I have plenty of sunflowers and this is a wonderful sight, goldfinches just swarming all over them (of course this is only in the summertime). I planted some purple coneflower, birds are supposed to eat the seeds but they didn't. Maybe this year. I am running out of planting room, I will select maybe 2 or 3 more bushes but that will prolly be it.

MisbehavinAngel said:
I think I must be attracting every cardinal in this area, male and female, I counted over 20 yesterday sitting in the tree waiting their turn on the feeder. ...
I'm jealous! Here in NY we only have one pair of cardinals that visits our feeder regularly. All of their friends must have headed South for the Winter that has not yet arrived in the NE; it was 70 F (21 C for our non-US friends) here on Saturday, and around 50 F yesterday.

In fact I have not seen anywhere near 20 of a single species of bird around our feeder at the same time. Yesterday morning I was surprised to see 8 mourning doves scavenging on the ground below the feeder as a large blue jay was scattering seed from up above trying to find just the bits that he wanted. Previously I have only seen 2 or 3 at a time. We also had 3 pairs of house finches at the feeder simultaneously on Saturday. Of course, we often see around a half dozen or so sparrows, and/or chickadees although these flit around so quickly it is sometimes difficult to get an exact count.

Admin! Since this thread has evolved into an almost identical thread to our very long running "Today at the Feeder", how about amalgamating this one into Today?

In fact I have not seen anywhere near 20 of a single species of bird around our feeder at the same time
We are in a rural area of North Carolina and live at the edge of town with many mature trees close by. Cardinals are the statebird of NC, we have them yearround, they are more territorial in the spring and summertime, you will always see some males chasing each other, but in the fall/winter they will sit neatly in one tree. It is a beautiful sight. If I ever get a digital camera I will have to take some pics and post them. I am way behind times, technically speaking.

gvk said:
I'm jealous! Here in NY we only have one pair of cardinals that visits our feeder regularly. All of their friends must have headed South for the Winter that has not yet arrived in the NE; it was 70 F (21 C for our non-US friends) here on Saturday, and around 50 F yesterday.

They must have all headed down to my yard in suburban NJ because I just put out my first feeder last month and cardinals are one of my most common birds (that and white throated sparrows).

I have a large feeder with sunflower hearts, peanut hearts and nyler seed. But I also have a small squirrel feeder nailed to a telephone pole which I filled with safflower. At any given time I have between 5 and 10 cardinals sitting in a small tree taking turns on the safflower seeds. Occasionally they'll have a peanut from the other feeder. But I think its the safflower that's attracting them the most.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back