• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

A Garden List (1 Viewer)

.........Flyovers:

26)Swift..........

Marsh Tit is a good one esmondb. You've made me realise I'd forgotten to put Swift, House Martin and Swallow on my flyover list! How could I have forgotten, there's loads of them!!
Also saw a Great Black backed Gull the other day.

Here's a pic of my baby |=)|

Last edited:
Hi

Location - Edge of Edinburgh nr Pentland Hills
Feeders - 2X Mixed Seed, 1XSunflower, 1XNiger all going like the clappers at the moment
Most common species - House sparrow (no shortage up here - loads of them here)
Favourites - Goldfinch & Siskin ( at Niger seed) - Flock of about 10 as I write!
Most Non-Favourites - Rooks and very cheeky Jackdaws
Most rare - Male Yellowhammer (on ground below feeders - very shy) and Male Bullfinch (taking mixed seed this week from feeder)

Happy feeding to everybody

Cheers

Stuart R

Most common species - House sparrow (no shortage up here - loads of them here)
Favourites - Goldfinch & Siskin ( at Niger seed) - Flock of about 10 as I write!

Stuart R

Yes, we keep hearing about the shortage of house sparrows but they do appear to be staging a comeback in this area and are regular visitors to my garden. I have had goldfinches on sunflower hearts but you're not the first person to recommend niger seed and I must give it a go especially as you say the siskins go for it as well!

Regards

Mike

Hi

Goldfinches and Siskins took a while to "find" the Niger Seed but now regular at feeder. I use the yellow "Yankee" feeder (see enclosed - very wet Goldfinches and Siskins at feeder this pm) and there is very little wastage. Only Goldfinch or Siskin can feed from this feeder although I did have a Starling having a go today!

Cheers

Stuart

Yes, we keep hearing about the shortage of house sparrows but they do appear to be staging a comeback in this area and are regular visitors to my garden. I have had goldfinches on sunflower hearts but you're not the first person to recommend niger seed and I must give it a go especially as you say the siskins go for it as well!

Regards

Mike

Attachments

• DSC_0002 copy.jpg
    DSC_0002 copy.jpg
    106 KB · Views: 120
had a great day yesterday

pied wagtail
jackdaw
hedgehog
robin

all seen for first tiem yesterday

maybe a one of although the wagtail been again today

had a great day yesterday

pied wagtail
jackdaw
hedgehog
robin

all seen for first tiem yesterday

maybe a one of although the wagtail been again today

Well done, rootsman :t: Its been quite a while since I had a hedgehog in the garden and I can't remember seeing a pied wagtail this year whereas last year they were frequent visitors.

Mike

Quite a nice collection there, esmondb. I envy you the bullfinch, blackcap and GSW. Some of the neighbouring gardens to mine have been visited by GSW so I'm hoping it's only a matter of time ... |;|

I'm sure you'll see that goldcrest in your garden before long and you could almost be excused for cheating as far as the red kite was concerned. A pity you weren't home a few minutes earlier!

A house mouse on a feeder ... now that's something you don't see too often and in my case not at all!

Buzzards seem to be becoming more common round these parts and I have seen them circling overhead recently looking for their next meal.

Hope you continue to add to your list.

Regards

Mike

Goldcrest came to visit on saturday :t:
Also had what I think might have been a spotted flycatcher but couldn't 100% positively ID it. I'll just call it a strange-plumaged robin:-C

Hi

Goldfinches and Siskins took a while to "find" the Niger Seed but now regular at feeder. I use the yellow "Yankee" feeder (see enclosed - very wet Goldfinches and Siskins at feeder this pm) and there is very little wastage. Only Goldfinch or Siskin can feed from this feeder although I did have a Starling having a go today!

Cheers

Stuart

I have greenfinches sometimes feeding from the niger feeder - although that may be partly down to the fact that I have thistle seed and not niger in mine. Incidentally, some of the spilled seed has germinated and looks absolutely beautiful in my garden. When it sets seed I expect a huge flock of goldfinches to descend |:D| .
Not had siskins, but they would be a winter visitor down here and I only moved in in late Jan.

Goldcrest came to visit on saturday :t:
Also had what I think might have been a spotted flycatcher but couldn't 100% positively ID it. I'll just call it a strange-plumaged robin:-C

Well done for the goldcrest :t: I hope it was a spotted flycatcher and that it'll be good enough to come back for a positive ID! I suppose it could have been a robin as you suggest - a juvenile perhaps?

Mike

My garden is surrounded my fields, so is great for good birds.

Today in my garden so far i've got:

1* Blue tits
2* Great tits
3* Chaffinches
4* Collared dove
5* Jackdaws

My garden is surrounded my fields, so is great for good birds.

Today in my garden so far i've got:

1* Blue tits
2* Great tits
3* Chaffinches
4* Collared dove
5* Jackdaws

Hi Anna

Sounds to me like you're in a great place for seeing plenty of birds :t:

Enjoy your birding!

Mike

Thanks Mike!
I have from time to time, got a great spotted woodpecker, nuthatch and a coal tit. Sometimes raptors including sparrowhawk and kestrel.

What birds do you get in your garden Mike?

Thanks Mike!
I have from time to time, got a great spotted woodpecker, nuthatch and a coal tit. Sometimes raptors including sparrowhawk and kestrel.

What birds do you get in your garden Mike?

Hi Anna

Take a look at the very first message in this thread where you'll see a complete list of all the species I've seen up to now. Actually I could add waxwing to that list as I did catch a fleeting glimpse of one the winter before last. That was when there were a lot of them in the UK and one just took a few minutes rest in a tree in my front garden!

I think I probably had a sparrowhawk in the garden although I didn't actually see it. I returned home from work one day and found a pile of feathers on the back lawn. It looked like the work of a sparrowhawk unless it was next door's cat!

I keep hoping to attract a woodpecker to the garden but so far no luck although they have been seen in neighbouring gardens. I have had a coal tit and a nuthatch but no kestrel as yet.

Happy birding

Mike

P.S. I saw in one of your other posts that you visit Carsington reservoir. That's one of my favourite places too. It's about an hour's journey from where I live. I wish I could get there more often! Saw my first tree sparrow there!

Last edited:
Well, i guess i'll post my list of garden visitors. It aint the most impressive in the world, but it's not too shabby. We've got plenty of seed feeders a couple of peanut feeders, a couple of nyjer feeders and normally have a couple of fat balls up.

Blue Tit
Great Tit
Coal Tit
Long-tailed Tit
Chaffinch
Goldfinch
Greenfinch
Siskin
Yellowhammer
Feral Pigeon
Woodpigeon
Collared Dove
Jackdaw
Carrion Crow
Rook
Magpie
House sparrow
Blackbird
Robin
Mistle Thrush
Song Thrush
Starling

Last edited:
Well, i guess i'll post my list of garden visitors. It aint the most impressive in the world

It's not bad :t: It's about the same length as mine ( see post 1 ) but with a different mix of species. Yellowhammer and siskin are two I'd like to see in my garden but no luck so far :C

Mike

I've only had yellowhammer in the garden twice this year (that i've seen) and siskin is a pretty rare visitor, mainly in the winter.

I have more fun with the feeders i've got up at my local nature reserve, which are constantly getting attacked by birds. We've got 3 16" peanut feeders which we're now having to fill twice a week, because they take so much of it! Mind you... the great spotted woodpeckers are probably the main culprits there!

Here's my list:

House Sparrow
Starling
Waxwing
Collared Dove
Wood Pigeon
Feral Pigeon
Dunnock
Garden Warbler
Magpie
Jackdaw
Carrion Crow
Rook
Black-headed Gull
Blackbird
Song Thrush
Robin
Nuthatch
Goldcrest
Goldfinch
Greenfinch
Siskin
Chaffinch
Bullfinch
Great Tit
Blue Tit
Coal Tit
Long-tailed Tit
Sparrowhawk
Mallard
Great Spotted Woodpecker
House Martin
Wren

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back