• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

UK, Cambridgeshire, Papworth Everard: Moorhen (1 Viewer)

Moonphase

Hello,
I really don't know a lot about birds but I spotted this moorhen today 13th October and it didn't appear to have the red shield (?) and red/ yellow beak I'm used to. Apart from a light tip the shield and beak appeared almost black. Does anyone know why?

Attachments

• 46634EE9-01FA-4C23-ABAD-B84D93E125FF.jpg
    46634EE9-01FA-4C23-ABAD-B84D93E125FF.jpg
    141 KB · Views: 37
Plumage wise this looks like an adult. I think maybe the poor quality of the photo is making the bill look on the dark side (I've messed around with various parameters and a more regular bill seems to be appearing but there are limits to what I can do on this PC).

Attachments

• 46634EE9-01FA-4C23-ABAD-B84D93E125FF.jpg
    46634EE9-01FA-4C23-ABAD-B84D93E125FF.jpg
    281.3 KB · Views: 20
Plumage wise this looks like an adult. I think maybe the poor quality of the photo is making the bill look on the dark side (I've messed around with various parameters and a more regular bill seems to be appearing but there are limits to what I can do on this PC).
The shield is still only half-grown - I'd say a 'late juvenile' just starting to develop adult bill structure and colour. Look at it again in a month or so, and it'll probably have a full adult bill.

I've seen plenty of otherwise adult-looking Moorhens with dark/dull bills like this. I assume they are either in the final stages of transition between juv and adult plumage or they may be adults with low hormone levels for whatever reason (a bit like how gulls of typically yellow-legged species can have pinkish legs if in poor condition, esp outside the breeding season).

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back