• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Garden/Yard List 2018. (1 Viewer)

Not a year tick but!....a "garden first".....2 Jackdaws at the feeder briefly, first time on the furniture in 35 years!

49: (or 50 if we're doing Feral Pigeon)

Canada Goose.

About 25 went directly over yesterday - and I hadn't realised I still needed them for the year until this morning!

Since last 3 weeks:

31. Eagle Owl
32. Arctic Redpoll
33. Common Crossbill

edit:
34. Rough-legged Buzzard
heading north 15 minutes ago

Last edited:
I’ve just retired in November and thought I would start a garden list as I have more time on my hands. My list so far this year.
Great Tit
Coal Tit
Blue Tit
Long Tailed Tit
House Sparrow
Tree Sparrow
Dunnock
Gold Finch
Chaffinch
Greenfinch
Wren
Robin
Goldcrest
Starling
Kestrel
Sparrowhawk
Common Buzzard
Golden Plover
Little Egret
Pheasant
Golden Pheasant Not sure where that came from. Maybe someone has a private collection nearby.
Woodcock
Common Gull
Black Headed Gull
Herring Gull
Magpie
Carrion Crow
Rook
Jackdaw
Stock Dove
Woodpigeon
Collared Dove
Great Spotted Woodpecker
Grey Wagtail
Blackbird
Song Thrush
Fieldfare
Redwing
Greylag Goose

A very cold 3.5 hours in the garden this morning did produce the hoped for cold weather movement including

53 Lapwing (118 SW)
54 Golden Plover (58 SW)

Also 43 Fieldfares went over SW and there had been an obvious influx of Woodpigeons and Chaffinches into town.

Steve

A very cold 3.5 hours in the garden this morning did produce the hoped for cold weather movement including

53 Lapwing (118 SW)
54 Golden Plover (58 SW)

Also 43 Fieldfares went over SW and there had been an obvious influx of Woodpigeons and Chaffinches into town.

Steve

My second lot of Lapwings too today - one over! And 8 Fieldfares

Just had the scope up for a bit to look at the sea during the stormy weather we are having now - very nice to see 9 ad.Kittiwakes go west, closer in than the birds earlier in the year. Gannets passing and fishing, mainly ads. with some tens around. One addition to the year:

40. European Shag - 2 or possibly 3 birds, one of them an imm.

I'll have another look later on.

53 Lapwing (118 SW)
54 Golden Plover (58 SW)

Steve

:clap:

(Though you are plainly insane.)

All the best

Yes, well done everybody (said through gritted teeth).
A new (unenviable) record for me - for the first time since I started garden yearlisting I've failed to add any new species in the whole of February, in fact it's six weeks since the last new sighting!
Being in an Alpine valley we don't seem to get any hard weather movements, apart from the local species moving onto feeders that is ;). The colder February has also delayed the onset of song, eg. yesterday I heard the first Chaffinch song, two weeks later than last year and still no Yellowhammer singing nor any sign of Woodpigeon or Song Thrush yet. Due to turn milder and wet for the weekend so hopefully I'll be able to get the counter moving again:t:

I've failed to add any new species in the whole of February, in fact it's six weeks since the last new sighting!

That's not fair but you should make up for things fairly soon as springtime is just around the corner ;) I think you are on quite a few more than me up to now.

I checked that last year, by the end of March I was on 52 spp. - now I'm on 40 - so hopefully I'll get more than last year, or maybe not. March can sometimes be a bag of tricks - lots of spring hope and few good sightings.

Late afternoon today I did have another 30 mins at scoping the bit of sea I can see from home - 4 Bonxies, 2 more Kittiwakes and confirmed 4 Shags - including the first time seeing the crests from home ;).

This Beast from the East is putting me off going further than the garden so I am doing a lot more watches there than usual. A totally unexpected garden lifer this morning

55 Little Gull - an adult flew SW low overhead

Not much other movement so far today, just 7 Lapwings and 14 Fieldfares.

Steve

This Beast from the East is putting me off going further than the garden so I am doing a lot more watches there than usual. A totally unexpected garden lifer this morning

55 Little Gull - an adult flew SW low overhead

Not much other movement so far today, just 7 Lapwings and 14 Fieldfares.

Steve

An excellent " grdn.lifer".....for a land lubber. :t:

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back