• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Unknown passerine and peregrine, Zhejiang, China (1 Viewer)

Dawsy

I saw two starling-sized grey birds in Haining, Zhejiang, China this morning and have no idea what they were (first 3 pictures, probably 2 different birds). The seemed kind of finch-like but don't match anything I can find. I feel like I'm missing something obvious. There's also a picture of what I assume is a peregrine but the plumage looks more like what I'd expect from a juvenile in the UK which would seem odd at this time of year. Is that just whatever the local sub-species is looks like as an adult?

Michael

Attachments

• Bird1.JPG
    Bird1.JPG
    136.9 KB · Views: 31
  • Bird2.JPG
    Bird2.JPG
    126.8 KB · Views: 27
  • Bird3.JPG
    Bird3.JPG
    135.8 KB · Views: 31
  • Peregrine residential college.jpg
    Peregrine residential college.jpg
    323.1 KB · Views: 60
I saw two starling-sized grey birds in Haining, Zhejiang, China this morning and have no idea what they were (first 3 pictures, probably 2 different birds). The seemed kind of finch-like but don't match anything I can find. I feel like I'm missing something obvious. There's also a picture of what I assume is a peregrine but the plumage looks more like what I'd expect from a juvenile in the UK which would seem odd at this time of year. Is that just whatever the local sub-species is looks like as an adult?

Michael

Hi Michael,

Female Common Rosefinch for the finch.

Steve

Sorry to be pedantic but it also could be a 1cy male ;)

I'm all for pedantry otherwise I'd call them all "birds" and leave it at that! In the spirit of that: can it really be 1cy male in March outside the breeding range?

Michael

I'm all for pedantry otherwise I'd call them all "birds" and leave it at that! In the spirit of that: can it really be 1cy male in March outside the breeding range?

Michael

Speaking of being pedantic... :) Of course it can't be a 1cy but a 2cy. Not that you can sex it in the field if they don't sing...

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back