• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Northeast Aberdeen and Donmouth (1 Viewer)

Thank you for the information. The folk we are buying from mentioned seeing reds quite often in the garden. I've walked the area quite a lot and have never seen any.

Last edited:
There are both Red and Grey Squirrels in the area around Seaton Park and the River Don to Donmouth. There are Authorized Grey Squirrel trappers too so the numbers are being kept in check. I've spotted at least 3 Red Squirrels this year in Seaton Park mostly in the treeline surrounding the student halls of residence and one on the north bank at the Brig o balgownie. The Reds seem to travel around being spotted from the Botanic Gardens and the Chanory Gardens to the Cottages at the Brig o Balgownie.

If you are interested in the region's mammals and in the forthcoming Atlas that Nick mentions above, you might also want to come and hear Nick (who was too modest to mention that he's the Lead Editor) speak about it to the local SOC branch on Monday. He'll also hopefully throw in a bit about camera-trapping.
The meeting will take place in The Sportsman’s Club, 11 Queen’s Rd, Aberdeen, AB15 4YL at 7.30 pm on Monday 7 November. There is free parking available behind the venue and a bar for refreshments. To cover the hire of the room a moderate charge is requested - £2 for SOC members and £3 for non-members.

Actually found a nice bird at work today: a smart male Black Redstart on the MacRobert Building at the University of Aberdeen (just a few hundred yards from my office!). Quite a pleasant thing to see as I walked across a car park on my way to invigilate an exam! I wasn't actually too surprised as I had a very brief glimpse of what appeared to be a Black Redstart in the same area last Friday. Hopefully it might hang around for a bit.

Actually found a nice bird at work today: a smart male Black Redstart on the MacRobert Building at the University of Aberdeen (just a few hundred yards from my office!). Quite a pleasant thing to see as I walked across a car park on my way to invigilate an exam! I wasn't actually too surprised as I had a very brief glimpse of what appeared to be a Black Redstart in the same area last Friday. Hopefully it might hang around for a bit.

Nice find Andrew, even without it having an orange belly! Hope it sticks around.

The Black Redstart was again showing nicely at the MacRobert Building today. Here are some photos from today and yesterday.

Attachments

• Black Redstart_Aberdeen_151216a.jpg
    Black Redstart_Aberdeen_151216a.jpg
    125.2 KB · Views: 34
  • Black Redstart_Aberdeen_161216a.jpg
    Black Redstart_Aberdeen_161216a.jpg
    221.9 KB · Views: 55
  • Black Redstart_Aberdeen_161216b.jpg
    Black Redstart_Aberdeen_161216b.jpg
    115.8 KB · Views: 63
Had an enjoyably spring-like walk along the River Don through Seaton Park to Donmouth today, with 56 species a fair return. Plenty of activity in the woodland, with Siskin, Mistle Thrush, Treecreepers, Long-tailed Tits and Stock Doves all in evidence. Pairs of Moorhens, Grey Wagtails and Dippers were both along the river. A Chiffchaff was singing between Brig o' Balgownie and Bridge of Don - most likely a returning bird.

The river mouth held four Lesser Black-backed Gulls. Along the northern part of the beach at least eight Sanderling and a Purple Sandpiper were found. Offshore were four Long-tailed Ducks, a Common Scoter, ten Red-breasted Mergansers and three Red-throated Divers. A pair of Stonechats were on the Kings' Links.

Attachments

• Common Seal_Donmouth_240317a.jpg
    Common Seal_Donmouth_240317a.jpg
    223.4 KB · Views: 35
  • Redshank_Donmouth_240317a.jpg
    Redshank_Donmouth_240317a.jpg
    137.7 KB · Views: 42
  • Stonechat_Aberdeen_240317a.jpg
    Stonechat_Aberdeen_240317a.jpg
    104.1 KB · Views: 31
I had a rather pleasant walk this evening from Donmouth up to Murcar, in warm temperatures. I found the male White-winged Scoter relatively easily late afternoon at the southern end of Murcar. Further north there were two drake Surf Scoters, showing quite well in the main scoter flock. Lots of Eiders, Common and Velvet Scoters and Red-breasted Mergansers too. There was a scattering of migrant waders around, including several Sanderling and Dunlin.

At Donmouth an Osprey flew south along the shore and I then watched it continue through Aberdeen Bay to the Dee. It probably more-or-less flew over my house! I spoke to someone earlier in the day who mentioned they'd seen Osprey there recently so I suspect it might be quite regular in the area at the moment. There was also a Red-throated Diver on the River Don and an impressive nine Common Sandpipers around the bridge.

At Donmouth an Osprey flew south along the shore and I then watched it continue through Aberdeen Bay to the Dee. It probably more-or-less flew over my house! I spoke to someone earlier in the day who mentioned they'd seen Osprey there recently so I suspect it might be quite regular in the area at the moment. There was also a Red-throated Diver on the River Don and an impressive nine Common Sandpipers around the bridge.

I had a dark-backed medium-sized raptor at a distance being mobbed by a Black-headed Gull briefly from the back window today about 15:30. Looked good for Osprey but the view was literally 10 seconds as it went behind a building going east. They're regular on the Dee about this time of year post-breeding.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back