• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Scottish crossbill? (1 Viewer)

Pancho85

Hi everyone,

next 2 weeks are my last days in Scotland and before coming back home, I would like to watch the Scottish crossbills (It´s my only chance!!)

The problem is that I don´t know where I can see them, and what´s worse, I really don´t know how to differentiate them from the common one.

I would appreciate any help you could give me.

Thank you everyone for your help!!

Crossbills of any description few and far between in Abernethy at the moment. I covered a large area of the forest at the weekend and not a single chip!!

Crossbills of any description few and far between in Abernethy at the moment. I covered a large area of the forest at the weekend and not a single chip!!

I’m not too surprised as there is a mega crop of Sitka Spruce cones ripening over a wide area of the Highlands just now. During the 1970’s and 80’s I studied a small group of Scottish Crossbills Breeding in SE Sutherland. They regularly moved out into the surrounding plantations and fed on Sitka Spruce and also Lodgepole Pine before the Scots pine cones ripened in February. The FC have not removed all of the none-natives from their Speyside woodlands yet my advice would be to check out the Sitka Spruce.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back