• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Song Sparrow or Lincoln Sparrow? (1 Viewer)

Thanks for the feedback, but the disparity still leaves me in a conundrum |!|

Its wing markings are distinctly-different from other songs I've seen in the area. Just an aberration ... or a different species? :news:

Tail is a bit short for song in the opening post. Not sure where to go with this as I am unfamiliar with CA birds.

Here is a juxtaposition:

(L-R): Black-Throated Sparrow, My UNK Specimen, Brewer's Sparrow

Attachments

• _DSC0654-1a.jpg
    _DSC0654-1a.jpg
    143.9 KB · Views: 42
  • _DSC2090-1aa.jpg
    _DSC2090-1aa.jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 58
  • Brewer%27s%20Sparrow%20m17-61-240_l_1.jpg
    Brewer%27s%20Sparrow%20m17-61-240_l_1.jpg
    277.1 KB · Views: 38
Thank you all, I appreciate the guidance.

Just started birding, after getting some longer glass, and so the time everyone takes to help out is much appreciated. :t:

I can't rule out Belding's Savannah sparrow for the opening post. But I've only seen Savannas here in MO and NE.

Last edited:
I can't rule out Belding's Savannah sparrow for the opening post. But I've only seen Savannas here in MO and NE.

The wing/back markings do look like Savanna's to me as well; however, it seems the Savanna's have a yellow eyebrow, not a white one.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back