• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Kowa or Meopta? (1 Viewer)

Frank:

Good to hear from you again. It is like the ship has now docked, set the anchor, and all is well. Your opinions are well regarded here.

Jerry

Martin,

Just a word of warning. The 8x42 Meoptas are physically identical to the 10x42s that you mentioned not liking the ergonomics for. The optics are very similar to the 8x32s overall with just a bit more color bias....(though the last pair I owned seemed more color neutral than the earlier ones).

Since we are on the topic of Meopta though, did anyone try their new low priced model? I had an offer to try one out but at the time...optics weren't close to being one of my priorities.

Thanks Frank. I decided against the Meopta on the basis that I didn't like the shape. I am awaiting delivery of some swaro SLC new 7x42s. I've never tried them but it was such a good offer I had to go for it. I've used cheap 7x porros and really liked them so I'm looking forward to trying some top notch 7s.

I should heave them here on tuesday or wednesday. I'll find out then what the ergonomics are like. I can't imagine that I wont like the view.

I feel like a kid at Christmas. I can't wait ;)

Best wishes
Martin

i am anxious to hear your review of the SLC new 7x42. Im so glad i got a new one before they were gone. I cannot find anything i do not like about this bino. THe apparent FOV is smaller than some like EL 8.5x42 or even the meopta 8x42 but not enough to give the impression of a "narrow" field. it definetely is wider than a nikon premier 8x42, that seemed narrow to me

JG,

On the other hand, there are so many excellent bins out there right now below the price point that the Kowa sells at that I would be hard pressed to choose it.

Like what? I'm looking for a bino to hunt wide open spaces. I've always used 10x42's. I know there are deals to be had on the Swaro SLCneu.

i am anxious to hear your review of the SLC new 7x42. Im so glad i got a new one before they were gone. I cannot find anything i do not like about this bino. THe apparent FOV is smaller than some like EL 8.5x42 or even the meopta 8x42 but not enough to give the impression of a "narrow" field. it definetely is wider than a nikon premier 8x42, that seemed narrow to me

I figure I'll be fine with the afov. I had Opticron BGA SEs 8x42s once. I didn't like the tunnel like view compared to other 8x 8* bins. They have a fov of 7* like the Nikons. So afov of 56* like the SLC. But the SLC figures are reversed, if you see what I mean. 7x & 8* rather than 8x & 7*. So if I compare the SLCs with my Meostar 8x 8* bins the afov will be different but the amount of stuff I actually see in the view will be the same. Both 8*.
Does that make sense?

Looking forward to their arrival so much that I'll probably take a day off work to wait in for them.

Like what? I'm looking for a bino to hunt wide open spaces. I've always used 10x42's. I know there are deals to be had on the Swaro SLCneu.

JG,

The last I looked the Prominars were going for around $1300/$1400 most places. At that price or below you could find some demo Zeiss FLs, Swaro SLCs, Leica Trinovids, Nikon Premier LXLs etc....

Not to mention the likes of the Pentax EDs, Meopta Meostars, Zen Ray ED 2s (and all the other Chinese ED bins)...just to name a few.

This is one of those situations where I look at the total package. At almost 34 ounces and with a field of view of around 370 feet they have some drawbacks. The overall image quality is excellent but then so is the image quality on the Zen ED2s for example...as well as the Meoptas and the others I mentioned plus most of those, if not all, are lighter in physical weight. Even the Steiner Peregrine XPs are comparable with a wider true field of view and less physical weight.

Sure I am splitting hairs here a bit but these are the types of things that run through my mind when I consider any pair of binoculars.

Jerry,

Thank you for the kind words. It is good to be back. I missed the place and you folks. Now that my life is settled again I hope to get back into my hobbies. I don't have the money anymore to be doing alot of optics purchases but if some of those kind folks at the manufacturers and retailers send me some bins/scopes to review then I would be more than happy to post an honest opinion or two. ;-)

Martin,

I think you will like the ergonomics of the SLCs. I had two pairs of the 7x42s and enjoyed the thumb and finger indents. They are very well balanced so you don't really notice the weight unless you compare them directly to something lighter....Zeiss FL for example.

Last edited:
I think you will like the ergonomics of the SLCs. I had two pairs of the 7x42s and enjoyed the thumb and finger indents. They are very well balanced so you don't really notice the weight unless you compare them directly to something lighter....Zeiss FL for example.

FWIW- the SLCnew 7x42 can be had new for 1250-1300, so i assume the 10x isnt that much more. you are right, the thumb indents really help balance the weight.

Frank if you have had 2 pairs, they say the 3rd time is the charm!

In comparing the SLC neu to the meostar recently i really noticed a yellowish cast in the meopta. Other than the poor accessories that it comes with, that bino is right up there with the big 4. I would say the SLC and Nikon premier 8x were smidgen sharper in the center than the meopta. I never could fine focus the meopta to get the exact definition I could get with the other 2.

I looked a ta 7x42 FL and man it was nice in the middle but that middle is small compared to the wide sharp sweet spot in the SLCnew. I much prefer the SLCneu. I wanted to like the 7x42FL because it is 26oz! I have a feeling based on no proof but assumption on looks and feel that the SLC and meopta could be used in a street fight and still work fine.

Here's the deal Frank (or anyone else for that matter)......Genesis demo $750, SLCneu demo $1199, Cabelas Euro $700, Meopta $799.......now what do you think? Weight is not an issue at all, I just want the best optical performance. Thanks again.

You do know of course that if shear objective optical quality is the only criteria there are roof binoculars that are probably better AND considerably cheaper than those four? Its all the other fuzzy subjective touchy feelly criteria, brand prestige and warranty service the separates the wheat from the chaffe.

You do know of course that if shear objective optical quality is the only criteria there are roof binoculars that are probably better AND considerably cheaper than those four? Its all the other fuzzy subjective touchy feelly criteria, brand prestige and warranty service the separates the wheat from the chaffe.

i seriously doubt that there is roof prism cheaper than those that offers a wide angle with edge to edge sharpness. Optical quality is relative to the end user. One may prefer a sharp centerfield and not care about a huge sweetspot. Some may not be bothered by flaring. SOme cant tolerate CA. Others like me dont care about it because I am not a birder and dont see it while hunting.

you are probably referring to the chinese bins and they do not have the sweetspot/edge to edge sharpness of the meopta or the SLC. I have also heard that they might not handle flaring as well. so maybe for some thats a non issue but not for me.

No porros for me.

Confucius say:

MAN WITH PROMINAR HAVE STRONG ARMS AND EYES THAT ROLL.

Now that right there is funny. ;)

Not bustin' on the Prominar in the least...just an interesting spin on optical quality.

JG,

For that demo price, why not? I think it certainly ranks up there with the big boys optically and if the weight isn't an issue....

The SLC 7X42 is one of the top 7X's with the following limitations.

1. It's heavy...but with great ergonomics many won't care.

2. It displays CA on par with older bins. At the outer edge, under the right conditions, CA is prominent and quite similar to my Ultravid 7X42. However, CA shouldn’t bother you under most conditions.

3. The 7X42 SLC has a nice sweet spot but it is not sharp edge-to-edge. When this is reported I attribute it to good eyes. Every SLC I've examined (quite a few) has some softening off-center. The SLC 7X42 is a bit better in this regard than the Ultravid 7X42.

I've seen good and not-so-good samples of the SLC 7X42 (coatings were improved over time). If, after properly setting the diopter and IPD, you are not "wowed" by the image (outdoors, of course!) don't accept the binocular. The only difference I could ever discern between a good SLC 7X42 and the earlier EL 8.5X42 was image size.

If Swarovski would produce an HD version of the SLC 7X42 I would purchase it sight unseen. I guess I'll have to take a look at the 8X42 instead!

I've seen good and not-so-good samples of the SLC 7X42 (coatings were improved over time). If, after properly setting the diopter and IPD, you are not "wowed" by the image (outdoors, of course!) don't accept the binocular. The only difference I could ever discern between a good SLC 7X42 and the earlier EL 8.5X42 was image size.

Thanks Pileatus, I'll bear that very much in mind when mine arrive on wednesday. I have no experience of Swarovski and was, subconciously at least, making the assumption that they would have very little sample variation because they are one of the top makers.

I should know better really.

Best wishes
Martin

My comments below:

The SLC 7X42 is one of the top 7X's with the following limitations.

1. It's heavy...but with great ergonomics many won't care.

Yes you feel it around the neck but not when holding the SLC IMO

2. It displays CA on par with older bins. At the outer edge, under the right conditions, CA is prominent and quite similar to my Ultravid 7X42. However, CA shouldn’t bother you under most conditions.

When I compared the SLCnew to the Ultravid in 7x42, i thought the sweet spot/ease of view was much more apparent to me in the SLC. I had both and tested them for a day and was set to buy either, actually hoped the ultravid would agree with me as it is was lighter! Also the Ultravid didnt do as well with Flare and the SLC did/does. I struggle to see CA on-axis and barely can see it off-axis....I have to look for it and try to notice it.

3. The 7X42 SLC has a nice sweet spot but it is not sharp edge-to-edge. When this is reported I attribute it to good eyes. Every SLC I've examined (quite a few) has some softening off-center. The SLC 7X42 is a bit better in this regard than the Ultravid 7X42.

THis might be true but I really struggle to see the softening, even in lowlight where I usually see it more easily. I would agree that the image in like a 7x "EL."

Ive owned a pre neu 7x42 with swarobright, a 2007 SLCneu, and now a 2009 SLCneu. Im not sure if the 2009 is better than the 2007 but I know the 2009 EL had updated coating over its predecessors so I am curious if the SLC received those as well although I do not know if it did.

If Swarovski would produce an HD version of the SLC 7X42 I would purchase it sight unseen. I guess I'll have to take a look at the 8X42 instead!

Yes I would love a 26 oz SLC HD in 7x42

Last edited:
Ive owned a pre neu 7x42 with swarobright, a 2007 SLCneu, and now a 2009 SLCneu. Im not sure if the 2009 is better than the 2007 but I know the 2009 EL had updated coating over its predecessors so I am curious if the SLC received those as well although I do not know if it did.

The advertisement for the pair I bought says
"PLEASE NOTE THAT THIS MODEL IS THE LATEST MODEL WITH THE NEW MULTI FUNCTION CASE and FASTER FOCUSSING MECHANISM."

So I take it it has the latest coatings.
But how about the faster focusser? Is it now super fast or was the old one quite slow so now the latest version is just 'normal' fast (for want of a better phrase)?

The advertisement for the pair I bought says
"PLEASE NOTE THAT THIS MODEL IS THE LATEST MODEL WITH THE NEW MULTI FUNCTION CASE and FASTER FOCUSSING MECHANISM."

So I take it it has the latest coatings.
But how about the faster focusser? Is it now super fast or was the old one quite slow so now the latest version is just 'normal' fast (for want of a better phrase)?

I dont remember my older version SLC being slow to focus, it "feels" pretty much like my NEU version, silky smooth and very precise with no slack or dead spots.
You will only know if its a latest version or not when you check its serial number.

Martin is it supplied with the very latest case, that looks a nice bit of kit i wouldn't mind myself.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back