• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Sony A65 (1 Viewer)

alex berryman

I currently use the Sony A500 but am wanting an upgrade, and the A65 certainly looks tempting, especially the 24.3 MP . Has anyone got any good bird pics taken with this lens and would you recommend it as a replacement, I would use the lens with the Sigma 150-500mm. I'd appreciate any help you can give me...

Alex

I have bought an a65 today, I can't quote for it with a Sigma 150 to 500 lensa as I will be using mine with a Minolta 500mm mirror lens, I have done some shots today with a Tamron 28 to 200 and I am quite pleased with the results.

I bought my a65 from Jessops for on the offer for £699.95. with the 18 to 55 lens (£100 cheaper than a65 body only!).

Alex, be very careful with Sigma and slt compatibility - I've an A55, and steer clear of Sigma gear just because of the issues they've had.

Carlj,

I am curious, could you elaborate on the problems of Sigma lenses with Sony's slts?

Thanks,

Dalcio

Dalcio,

When the original SLT's were announced A33/55, Sigma announced that a number of their lenses wouldn't work properly, ie, sticking aperture, without rechipping. In some countries, they offered this free, in others, like UK, they'd charge an admin fee, if they could do the job. Older lenses would often become unusuable and unchippable.

When the A77 announced, Sigma then updated their issues to the HSM lenses in their range.

I used my a65 with the tamron 70 - 300 lens yesterday and the result I got were better than I expected. For the OP it may be worth him looking to somewhere like Mifsuds to see if he could part-ex his Sigma lens for a Tamron 200 to 500.

Just been here http://www.buzzillions.com/reviews/sony-a65-24-megapixel-digital-slr-camera-body-slt-a65v-reviews and read an account of someone who has been using a Sigma 150 to 500 with an a65 apparently without any problems.

I have read some comments about "poor battery life" my experience so far is that have had about 700 shots on one charge which in my opinion is excellent.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back