• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

UK Beetles for id (1 Viewer)

carlj

Darned if I can find them in my guide...

Attachments

• jetaime.jpg
    jetaime.jpg
    85 KB · Views: 50
  • beetl1.jpg
    beetl1.jpg
    137.4 KB · Views: 55
The mating pair in the first pic will be a Donacia sp. I don't think you can narrow down the ID further than that from a photo.

The second photo is a ground beetle. Perhaps Amara sp. or Harpalus sp.?

Cheers, er, Bob? :)

Book only has vulgaria in, and although body shape fitted, colour didn't. Will have a look further.

Harpalus looks good too!

Thanks again!
Carl

You're looking at 15 species in the genus Donacia and perhaps 2 in another genus called Plateumaris which I don't think can necessarily be completely excluded based on your photo.

To ID these species it's helpful to know the foodplant. You'd also need to be able to look at the puncturation/wrinkling patterns on certain parts and the presence of teeth on the limbs.

They were sat in 4 foot of mud and water on reeds surrounding a fishing pool. Problem is, most of the Donacia seem to like that habitat!

Thanks again for the assist!

Mark, I'd love it to be a curta, to go alongside my first ever recorded Rhopalus subrufus in Staffordshire, but I think the lunicollis looks most likely. Fantastic guide you have there!

Carl

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back