• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Cranes (1 Viewer)

Some of the Cranes near Elgin earlier to-day.

They are magnificient birds, thanks for sharing!!

I can't think of any better way of spending a birding evening watching them coming into roost with the Harriers around Horsey in Norfolk..

Matt

Attachments

• waxham eccles 042 (Custom).jpg
    waxham eccles 042 (Custom).jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 122
They are magnificient birds, thanks for sharing!!

I can't think of any better way of spending a birding evening watching them coming into roost with the Harriers around Horsey in Norfolk..

Matt

You should have seen the flock of 2000 on the Coto Donana, Spain in November last year :eek!: I've only ever seen 4 in Britain, and luckily I found them myself on a bike ride a couple of years ago. Faboulous birds.

Nice one Henry..I dont know if they were the ones i failed to see the other day or the ones at Watten. Might well have been. Good to see theres still Cranes about tho.

It is very likely they are 11 of the 14 that were in Caithness on Sat 05/01. By the time I got out to see the 14 on Sun 06/01, only 3 remained.

I then had a message the same day(06/01) to say 11 were seen flying near Lossiemouth around 2pm. So it is very likely to be the same 11.

The 14 together was a Scottish record I was told.

The other 3 are still up here and were found again today by a fellow birder. Ace birdies.

Kas, I think you,re right there are eleven of them. They kept a fair distance from the road and conditions did get pretty wet when I was there.

Hi Henry

It is the view of most that they are the same 11, I wonder why 3 were left behind though. They are beautiful birds, quite exotic for the north of Scotland. I hope they all hang around.

I wonder what happened to the 2 of Dafis in Orkney. They were seperate from the 14 as they were seen at the same time as the 14 up here.

Cheers
kas

Attachments

• cranes.jpg
    cranes.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 105
  • cranes2.jpg
    cranes2.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 98
Morning Kas

Ours were seen on the 5th at four locations over the day and seemed quite mobile. I think that was that tho as there wernt any more reports. I seem to mind the wind was east and north so they probably caught it and headed south.

Again near Elgin to-day.

Attachments

• IMG_7635 (Small).JPG
    IMG_7635 (Small).JPG
    7.2 KB · Views: 126
  • IMG_7620 (Small).JPG
    IMG_7620 (Small).JPG
    41.9 KB · Views: 104
  • IMG_7611 (Small).JPG
    IMG_7611 (Small).JPG
    54.8 KB · Views: 112
They flew off when they heard gunshot. Waiting on confirmation as to there whereabouts.

I'd heard they'd been flushed but didn't know the cause. I had a search of the fields around Loch Spynie and Milltown but didn't see anything. Unfortunately I'm off to Doncaster this morning so I wont be able to assist in the great Moray Crane search.

Best of luck to anyone out looking for them today, fingers crossed for a speedy recovery.

Finally got to see them this morning. They were in the field next the disused airfield at Milltown. Got the camera out to take a few poor distant shots, and the batteries ran out. Not to worry I thought, I always carry a spare set. I loaded them only to find that these were also drained!!! I watched them for about 30 minutes and then went home to get the fiance to show them to her. By the time we got back about 20 minutes later they had gone.

We had a search around the fields where they had been seen over the last few days, but found no sign of them.

Oh well, there's always tomorrow.....

We now have 5 birds in Caithness. A pair was found yesterday in the same area the 3 were last seen. So it was aksed had one bird gone AWOL or was it the a new pair. The answer was discovered when 5 were found today.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back