• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Head purely for hide shelves (1 Viewer)

Musoman

PETE - Nikon/Sony Shooter
United Kingdom
Thought this might be of interest to those birders ( me included ) who spend a lot of time in bird hides where a tripod is cumbersome, especially if its full of people

Most bird hides that i've been in, have shelving under the windows, and i thought i could utilise those shelves as a platform / base.

I use a Sigma 300-800mm ( thanks to Moab if you're reading this ) and needed a head to take just under 6kg + D7000.
I found a head that would easily take this weight and that is the Andoer VH-10 ( takes 10kg )
Its quite tiny, weighs 350g and is a 2 way swivel and tilt. Price ? I paid £41 :eat:

I then rummaged around my cupboards and found some 6mm alloy plate, and then drilled and tapped them for 4 x M8 dome head allen bolts. Perfectly stable and the length of the bolts seems to be just about right.
Standard 3/8th ( or 1/4" with adapter ) head mount thread ( see underneath )
Plate size is 120mm x 120mm

This little combo worked out very nice, and takes my Sigma and body with ease. I've already been out and tested the set up and i'm very happy with it. Works like a charm

Attachments

• head 1.jpg
    head 1.jpg
    377.8 KB · Views: 31
  • head 2.jpg
    head 2.jpg
    334.4 KB · Views: 29
  • head 3.jpg
    head 3.jpg
    274.9 KB · Views: 20
  • head 4.jpg
    head 4.jpg
    230.3 KB · Views: 33
Last edited:
Some shots from 29th Oct

Attachments

• Canada flight.jpg
    Canada flight.jpg
    340.1 KB · Views: 27
  • Goldcrest.jpg
    Goldcrest.jpg
    609.2 KB · Views: 29
  • Kes3.jpg
    Kes3.jpg
    204.9 KB · Views: 25
  • Stonechat 1.jpg
    Stonechat 1.jpg
    144 KB · Views: 28
  • Stonechat 3.jpg
    Stonechat 3.jpg
    160.6 KB · Views: 22
Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back