• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

over feeding (1 Viewer)

Can you over feed birds. I have three feeders two large one smaller
Plus two bird tables and two nut feeders. I am using about 15 kg of seed a week
Plus 5 kg of nuts. My main question is am I doing any harm by putting out this much food, or is this a normal of food that other people put out

In my opinion, no you cannot. A bird eats as much as it needs to survive and by putting out food you are simply making their lives easier (less time wasted looking for it). They are not going to overfeed just because it is there. So as long as your seed/peanuts go down quickly and are not left hanging around for weeks and the feeding area is kept clean then you're fine. Lucky birds!
By having several feeders you are also reducing the competition that the birds face, they all have room to feed. I don't use anywhere near that much seed or peanuts, but do only have a small garden.

I would agree with Kezza.If it's going quickly that's great.

I have several feeders and tables too and so important to keep everything topped up. :loveme:

A small backyard,2 large feeders per day,(refilled in the evening=4 feeders!!!)and 2 large fatballs plus 3 small ones!!!.The young starlings are the main culprits.So the fatballs have been removed for the timebeing.(cost£2-50 per day!!!) they can just use the feeders and a large tray of seed and sultana sponge .cake

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back