• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Upton Warren (36 Viewers)

few record shots
1= wood sand very distant poor light
2=3 little egrets
3=3 little egrets sat in the tree right of the east hide ( bumble bee tree)
sorry only record shots light had gone

Attachments

• wood sand IMG_3833.jpg
    wood sand IMG_3833.jpg
    294 KB · Views: 135
  • 3 l egrets IMG_3839.jpg
    3 l egrets IMG_3839.jpg
    146.2 KB · Views: 90
  • 3 little egretsIMG_3861.jpg
    3 little egretsIMG_3861.jpg
    141 KB · Views: 95
Last edited:
few record shots
2=3 little egrets
3=3 little egrets sat in the tree right of the east hide(tree bumble bee tree)

I'm glad that wasnt my first view of the sandpiper Vern - I would be getting excited about how yellow the legs look.

Sunday 21st July - 4:45-9:20pm

MOORS POOL
2 Common Sandpiper, 2 Green Sandpiper (Vern had 4 later), 1 Oyk, 1 Wood Sandpiper (feeding on shore of East Island from 6pm), 1 juv LRP, 1 Snipe (showing well in Amy's Marsh), 16 Lapwing, 4 Grey Heron, 1 Wigeon, 1 Gadwall, 2 Shoveler, 7 Teal, 2 Pochard, 2 Mute Swan + 5 cygnets, i Herring Gull, 3 LBB Gull, 8+ Common Terns, 10+ Tufted Duck broods, 2 Little Grebes, 4 GC Grebe (incl 1 fledged youngster), c40 Canada Geese, c115 Mallard, 140 Coot, 12 Moorhen

JTB - the Wood Sand rather took over my efforts to count the Common Tern chicks and I didnt get a chance to view from the West Hide. One bird did land on the shingle island with a fish but I didnt see any young come and greet it. Fish were regularly been taken into the vegetated "Shelduck box" island. In the rafts I could only see one well developed chick in the left hand raft; of the two right hand rafts there was regularly two terns in the far box but no sign of chicks / sitting. In the nearer box the adult was shielding a small chick from the sun but I never actually saw the chick.

SAILING POOL
55 Mallard, 20 Canada Geese, 2 Coot

FLASHES
35 Avocet, 15 Curlew, 13 Green Sand (so 17 across the reserve), 7 LRP but just 1 chick (I understand Muntjac saw another be taken by a BHG today), 2 Oystercatcher, 1 Teal, 2 Shoveler (presumably the same from the Moors), 1 female Tufted D, 9 Moorhen, 2 Coot, 2 Canada Geese, c100 Mallard, 6 LBB Gull, second summer Med Gull (moulting the "face" of its hood) in roost from 8:50pm, 500 BH Gulls by the time I left and more still arriving, good build-up of corvids and pigeons in adjacent fields.

Despite being traditionally a quiet month the last few days have seen a good movement of waders plus a regular flow of Med Gulls (indeed whenever the Flashes roost is watched it appears to be producing a Med). The forthcoming week shows some interesting combinations of weather: humid, drizzle then thunder storms later - this could produce a further passage of waders as well as Black Tern, Little Gull or perhaps something even rarer. Lets have a mega (in an Upton context) to report in this thread's 20,000th post! :t:

Record shot of the Med Gull attached.

Attachments

• Med Gull 2s 21072013.jpg
    Med Gull 2s 21072013.jpg
    154.4 KB · Views: 68
Last edited:
few record shots
2=3 little egrets
3=3 little egrets sat in the tree right of the east hide ( bumble bee tree)

I'm glad Phil had seen that wood sand in good light. The poor light makes some of its features appear like a lesser yellowlegs. ie thin needle shape bill accentuated primary projection and bright yellow legs.:t: john

I'm glad Phil had seen that wood sand in good light. The poor light makes some of its features appear like a lesser yellowlegs. ie thin needle shape bill accentuated primary projection and bright yellow legs.:t: john

I didnt see it in "good" light John - you are getting me worried (reaches for Collins ......)

Vern has a photo of a fritillary sp . That he took at the Warren by the east hide on the 21st of June this year.
Please have a look at it on flickr
Kingfisher kid

Small pearl bordered?

What records do we have of fritillaries at UW?

Last edited:

in addition the tibia looks long and the supercilium isn't very prominent behind the eye

given the dark cap and white spots on the upper scapulars though i'd go with wood sand

jon

Users who are viewing this thread

Back