• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Norfolk Bird Fair (1 Viewer)

Penny Clarke

The first Norfolk Bird Fair staged at Mannington Hall today was fabulous. A much bigger event than I thought it would be, with lots to see and do. Stunning location and in my opinion, much nicer than Rutland Water. The hall is surrounded by a moat with lily pads, scenic walks, nature garden, nature trail and kingfisher hide. Lots of beautiful trees, landscaped gardens. Lots of shady bits to cool off in. Food venue fabulous with something for everyone include veggi's (me), cafe with cakes to die for. Norfolk ice-creams which were out of this world, beer tent. Playground for children, plants to buy. Something for everyone. Lectures to go to, prizes to win. Free professional binocular clean.:t: Massively reduced camera sensor clean at show price offer:t: Loads of exhibitors (75 plus!) and it was really nice to see several local artists and crafts people there. Great to see lots of different exhibitors here, than the normal ones at Rutland. A fabulous local food marquee selling wines, popcorn, pies, cheeses, jams etc etc. Nowhere near as far to walk to from carpark as Rutland either. Lecture building was wonderfully cool, unlike marquee's at Rutland. Went to John Hague's Phonescoping workshop today and also chatted with Paul Hackett about cameras and stuff. Loads of plus points.

There are some bargains to be had at the auction, as I don't think many bids have gone in. To bid for an item, you need to go to the Information tent which is in the centre of the grounds.

Please support this tomorrow (Sunday) – we need this next year. It would be a terrible shame if this didn't go ahead again. I enjoyed it so much I am going again tomorrow.:t:

Open at 9am and closes at 5pm.

Also saw a Spotted Flycatcher there:t:

http://www.norfolkbirdfair.com/

Full account and tons of pictures going on my blog this evening.

Penny:girl:

Last edited:
Great blog Penny. Really enjoyed the day there on Saturday and we caught a good selection of species on the ringing demonstration.

There have been two previous Bird Fairs in Norfolk, in 1999 and 2000, held at Blickling Hall and organised by BTO with the support of other local organisations. These events were held in early June.

Mannington Hall clearly has a lot of potential as a site and the bird fair showed real promise. The timing of the event is not going to suit everyone; it's a really busy time for fieldworkers, many tour companies are out leading and perhaps most importantly, most keen birders are out birding.

There is scope to expand to more of a 'wildlife fair' and perhaps encourage families to attend. My little girl came along but there were very few children there otherwise. A well advertised 'wildlife fair' might attract more local people too.

Well done to Rob and Jill for pulling this event off, and to all the helpers who made the event run well.

There is scope to expand to more of a 'wildlife fair' and perhaps encourage families to attend. My little girl came along but there were very few children there otherwise. A well advertised 'wildlife fair' might attract more local people too......
Hi Dawn, thanks;):t:

I agree with you on this..... responded on my blog;)

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back