• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

heavily molting raptors, New Hampshire USA (1 Viewer)

nartreb

Speak softly and carry a long lens
I've always been curious about that warning in the FAQ. The eggs bit I can understand completely.

But why not show captive birds in a case like this? I can see if a person has gone out and captured or illegally obtained/held captive a protected species, we don't want that. But in a case like this where it is (I assume) a licensed refuge that cares for raptors, many folks may not know the species they are looking at.

In my opinion, these groups do great work in educating the public on the beauty and protection of raptors, isn't identifying the species part of that??

I've always been curious about that warning in the FAQ. The eggs bit I can understand completely.

But why not show captive birds in a case like this? I can see if a person has gone out and captured or illegally obtained/held captive a protected species, we don't want that. But in a case like this where it is (I assume) a licensed refuge that cares for raptors, many folks may not know the species they are looking at.

In my opinion, these groups do great work in educating the public on the beauty and protection of raptors, isn't identifying the species part of that??

I agree with you Steve.
Let us freely discuss the identification of these probably quite 'legal' birds.

Peter

I agree with the warning in the FAQ; it isn't about whether the questions are about legally-held birds or not, it is the fact that the whole ethos of Bird Forum is about wild birds, not pets or poultry. The purpose of the FAQ is to discourage people posting pics of things like this or this, which are completely outside of Bird Forum's scope. There is also the point that with captive birds, location and identity are meaningless (e.g. captive-bred multi-species hybrids), making any accurate identification impossible.

Having said that, these raptors are likely rescued wild-origin birds brought into captivity as a result of injuries, so they are likely 'pure-bred' and the location is relevant, so identification is possible and reasonable - this post is you could say 'The exception that proves the rule'.

We put a stop to the identifying of captives because there were bird sellers out there that didn't know what the bird they caught was called and needed a name to identify it for sale. So, the blanket rule was put into effect.

[...]
Having said that, these raptors are likely rescued wild-origin birds brought into captivity as a result of injuries, so they are likely 'pure-bred' and the location is relevant, so identification is possible and reasonable - this post is you could say 'The exception that proves the rule'.
Guesswork.
Why they are not falconers birds?
Lots of native birds to see on the north american falconry association website (http://www.n-a-f-a.com/) so it´s legal to keep them with permits I assume.
Nothing indicates injuries in the pics.

Fair play to nartreb who didn't directly post a photo of a captive bird but linked it and gave due warning in his post. Nartreb has posted 600 times, many of which I have read and IMO he isn't likely to want names for illegally captured birds. Quite often people ask, myself included, for id for domestic geese that they didn't realise were domestic species (e.g. Swan Goose). I think that for someone who contributes regularly to this forum, a genuine enquiry like this although against the guidelines, is made in good faith to further knowledge and should be respected for what it is.

We put a stop to the identifying of captives because there were bird sellers out there that didn't know what the bird they caught was called and needed a name to identify it for sale. So, the blanket rule was put into effect.

This makes perfect sense as well. But I also agree with Andy's point above that the original poster of the question should be taken into account somewhat. I doubt someone with hundreds of posts and answers to other people's posts is likely starting capturing/reselling birds. But then you run into different rules for different people. Gets tricky I suppose..

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back