• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

yucatan help (1 Viewer)

neilh

We're considering Playa del Carmen, south of Cancun, in February for a holiday with a bit of birding. Anybody any advice ?? Do I need to take my scope ?? What's the best strategy for easy birding ??

Neil,
I think a question to you is in order: what is your definition of easy birding?

Anyway, the hotels in the Yucatan differ in regards to how much natural areas are available on site. I don't know them individually, so cannot say what might be available without you moving much. Thereafter, visiting some of the ruin sites within a couple of hours drive will often give you some good birding experiences in addition to the cultural input. Obviously, doing so with a guide or with your own transportation is often better than going on a tour arranged by the hotel, among other things because you can arrive a couple of hours before the crowds overwhelm the place.

If you are staying in that area and mainly do easy birding, I probably would say you can get away without a scope.

Niels

Thanks, Niels,
I have a non-birding wife, so I guess I mean birding that I can d with in easy reach of the hotel. El Dorado Royale is where we're staying, looks like it's quite green from the photos !! We'll hopefully have a car for a few days and do the ruins. Any tips on areas to look at,and what I might see ?? I've got 'birds of Mexico' and I've trawled the web for reports. Thank again,Neil.

By Birds of Mexico, do you mean a field guide or do you mean the "Where to ..." book by Howell?

Anyway, several of the threads here have discussed good birding in Yucatan, check for example the one leading up to my recent visit: http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=285868

Birding around some ruins will often be a good compromise with a non-birding partner. If you can talk her into using a day reading in a car along a wooded road, the Vigia Chico road near Filipe Puerto Carillo is difficult to beat.

Niels

Thanks Niels, that's a good start, at least I've somewhere to aim for. Now to start reading up on what I might see !!! Looks a bit daunting, but a good challenge, lots of 'what was that' I expect !!

try taking the guided tours to the Mayan ruins in Tulum, Chitza Nitza, you will see many birds on those trips as they take you to different parts of the Yucatán, Sian Ka is another site worthwhile, but it has a long bumpy road.

Brian

Yes, the Mayan ruins are fascinating places and great for birds. After touring the ruins, with or without a guide, go around the bushes around the edge of the ruins. Lots of birds there and other interesting critters such as army ants. However, most tours do not stop for birds and if you are on a bus tour you will need to get back on the bus after your tour. I suggest going on your own to have time for birding. If you want guided tours of the ruins, most sites have guides there that will do that but then you still have time for birding.

Had a family holiday in Puerto Aventuras, Riviera Maya a few years back and it was fantastic. Only real birding was early mornings around the golf course but that was plenty good enough. Obviously, a guide would have added to the list but there was more than enough to keep me happy. Spoke to someone who'd been on a specific birding trip and while he'd obviously seen more than me, he dipped on Black Catbird ,whereas I saw a few.
We were there in April and there were loads of N.American wood warblers about as well as Mexican species.
One thing about the Howell and Webb book, looks great but I found it useless when trying to sort out the multitude of Orioles... that may be just me though.

Phil

try taking the guided tours to the Mayan ruins in Tulum, Chitza Nitza, you will see many birds on those trips as they take you to different parts of the Yucatán, Sian Ka is another site worthwhile, but it has a long bumpy road.

Brian

It is actually Chichen Itza, which might help making a reservation. The busses arrive relatively late, so if you at all can make an earlier trip on your own that would help.

Niels

I visited Play del Carmen 07/2013 two weeks with my family and my whole trip was "easy birding".

Tulum and Chitzen Icha are worth to visit, but as said earlier you should be there in Morning to really see birds.

The best place near to Carmen was an Arbotereum (named by the founder??) located about 10km to road to Cancun. I visit there by taxi and walk there around some hours.

I also visit Sian Kaa, it was a beatiful place and you could swim and dive there and see some turtles etc. For bird watcing the road to there was most interesting, but my trip made only to stops during the long drive.

I did not have my scope with me and I didn't miss that.

The best place near to Carmen was an Arbotereum (named by the founder??) located about 10km to road to Cancun. I visit there by taxi and walk there around some hours.

That's probably the Yaax Che Jardín Botánico del Dr. Alfredo Barrera Marín (http://www.fodors.com/world/mexico-and-central-america/mexico/riviera-maya/review-98235.html) established in 1982; I was last there in 1994, so my own observations are of less value than those of more recent visitors. It did offer a nice patch of forest and even a small archaeological site. It is just south of Puerto Morelos. If the Fodors description is correct the observation towers may offer canopy viewing. In 1994 Great Curassow was not uncommon.

Gary H

Another great spot in the area is the XelHa Archeological Ruins, south of you. This is not the XelHa Ecopark....which is very busy and full of tourists. The ruins are lovely and there is a beautiful cenote at the end of the road full of bird life. The site is usually empty and cheap to enter...but take water, bug spray, and a hat. I had several new sittings here.
Enjoy the Yucatan...it is wonderful.

One other thing...the golf course in Playacar ( where we will be staying in March) is just south of PDC (walkable) and is full of wildlife. Our rental condo backs onto it . There is also a private aviary in Playacar which I am looking forward to checking out.

I just came online to look for similar information concerning the Yucatan, but having birded there three times previously maybe I can provide some help to a first-timer. Certainly the Mayan ruins can be good places to spend time birding, but use every opportunity. For example, the walk in to Tulum from the townsite is a good little trek where you will encounter quite a variety of birds - so foresake the tram and walk instead. Don't bother with a scope unless you have something specific in mind. Sea watching is not worth your while on a short visit, and otherwise the jungle is just too dense to allow you to use one profitably UNLESS you are particularly skilled with a scope. Scopes are big and noticeable, and you will attract attention to yourself if you use one. Remember you have about twelve hours of daylight and practically no dawn or dusk. Morning birding is far more effective than at any other time, so plan to use mid-day and afternoon for relaxing and getting on the good side of your non-birding spouse. This may be a no-brainer, but respect private property and err on the side of caution when choosing where to birdwatch. Yucatan birding has a distinctly tropical feel to it - birds come by in small mixed flocks, often zipping in to cover very quickly. Patience is essential. By the same token, many species hide in plain sight - trogons and toucans in particular. Sometimes it is a good idea to find a good vantage point and let the birds come to you. If you find a likely spot, go there on successive days or even more than once on the same day. Birds move through constantly, and repeat visits to a feeding area will almost certainly reward you with different species assortments.Do a sweep through your field guide and figure out what you are likely to see given the geographic area you intend to visit. Yucatan avifauna is obviously a subset of Mexican avifauna, so eliminate the impossible or highly unlikely species beforehand. Consider "The Birds of Belize" as a reference work, since geographically it has a lot more in common with the Yucatan than most of "Birds of Mexico" (both are big bricks, but "Birds of Belize" is newer and I like it a lot.) Good footwear is really important - can't stress that enough. Aside from a wide assortment of ants that really are anxious to chew on your ankles, there are thorns, vines, slippery wet limestone mud, and broken glass and other rubbish to consider. On the beaches all of these apply, plus there are a couple of species of particularly unpleasant seaside grass-like plants with seeds that like to impale your toes. Sorry this is so scatter-brained - I hope it helps. If you have specific questions, feel free to reply.

I have been spending time during the month of February in Cancun and the Riviera Maya since 2007. I can be of some help and I'm always looking to bird with folks while there. For those looking to go out on their own, I have this to say: 1. When renting a car be aware that you WILL pay for extra insurance that you might not be expecting, it's mandatory. Don't try to arrange for it before you arrive from a third party because the companies will insist that you buy it from them. Insurance through your credit card company might cover any deductibles but will not cover your insurance. Plan on $20-$30 per day depending on car category. I have started booking through companies that include the insurance with the rental up front so there are no surprises. This year I'm using America Car Rental because it's been highly recommended to me. <www.america-carrental.com/> I'll post about the experience after this year but I'm tired of the games at the other locations.

Birding is easy and can be done almost anywhere. If you plan on taking camera gear, a tripod or flash will get you labeled as a professional and you either have to pay a fortune (~$500 USD) for a permit at the ruins or not take it in. Know this ahead of time. I had no problem with my Canon 100-400 mm lens on my shoulder but the other items were the problem. I managed to get the flash through once but not the tripod. For that reason I visit the ruins without my gear. I don't take it because I don't leave anything of value in my car. Never had a problem with a break-in but have heard the stories and if there's nothing to steal because I didn't leave it there, I don't sweat it.

The areas nearby the ruins can be very good for birding. As pointed out, the walk from the parking area to the gate at Tulum can be very productive. Yucatan Vireo, Yucatan Jay and Orange Oriole were easy for me along this trail, although the orioles tend to wander widely. The area around Coba is great! Birding inside is OK but I've had everything that I've had inside the ruins in the areas outside and a whole lot more. Warning - I've had my worst experience with chiggers EVER from the area around the lake while there last year, and a good friend that was there inside 2 weeks later had the same experience. The chiggers here must be radioactive because they left welts 5 times normal! LOL Seriously though, take precautions because they were horrible. The areas around town and the lake hold many of the species that you're seeking.

I've not done Ek Balam on my own but I suspect this area is also very productive and the scrub habitats between there Rio Lagartos will give opportunities for species that you'll not have elsewhere on the eastern side of the peninsula. Because the grounds at Ek Balam are more densely forested there were plenty of chances to see birds but being with a guided group you have to keep up. As for Chichen Itza, they day that I was there the grounds were nearly birdless. We drove out in our rental and arrived early, we hired a guide at the gate and did the tour. Afterwards, we had the luxury of walking the grounds and it was very unproductive. We were leaving as the first buses had arrived. I don't remember the surrounding areas being very interesting looking.

Away from the ruins, I visited Punta Laguna for the first time last year. This fresh water lake system is about a dozen miles north of the traffic circle before you reach Coba or about the same from Nuevo Durango from the north. This later town is a long, slow drive from the Cancun area so I don't recommend it. Punta Laguna has great habitat and a greater variety of species. I arrived at noon one day and went back the next it was so good. These 2 lists will give you an idea of what I had and what can be expected. The first was for the area around the parking lot, the second from inside. There was a fruiting tree next to the parking lot that was incredibly active at daybreak, so I spent more than an hour milking that for all that it was worth.
<http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist?subID=S17398005>
<http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist?subID=S17398261>
Not only were the birds good, the Spider Monkeys in the trees overhead made it better still. I list this as a must go site.

As someone else pointed out, the golf courses can be extremely productive. The par 3 course in front of the Grand Oasis Resort in the center of the Zona Hotelera in Cancun usually has ducks and a few shorebird species. It is the easiest place to find Northern Jacana that I know of. I've never not seen them around the small ponds here and last year there were juveniles as well. I have also seen Bare-throated Tiger Heron here a few times. The Iberostar course a little south of here usually has a larger assortment of shorebirds, though usually nothing unusual if you're from the states, due to its larger water features and its proximity to the lagoon. The golf course at the Grand Mayan in the Riviera Maya hasn't been as productive as I would expect but is still has birds of interest and they can be observed from the roadways and walkways nearby.

The last area that should be recommended is the road from the south end of Puerto Morelos to Leona Vicario, otherwise often referred to as the Ruta de los Cenotes. An early drive along this road almost always yields a Roadside Hawk or two, and Gray Hawks are fairly common. There are numerous places to pull off and bird along this road west out of Puerto Morelos. Make sure that you pull off the road and not try to stop along it. This is a very busy roadway and the shoulders are non-existent along much of it. Trying to bird along it in the wrong spot might get you killed, for no reason other than you getting struck by a passing vehicle. However, there are side roads, especially from about 10 miles west of P.M., that allow you to get off the main road and bird along them and these can be very productive. The locals in the small town of Central Vallarta at about 10 miles +/- (don't blink or you'll miss it) were friendly, curious and helpful. Don't expect any English from them. The habitat isn't as good as at Punta Laguna above, thus the diversity suffers a little but I've had species along this road that I haven't had elsewhere. Plus, this area is close to Puerto Morelos, not far from Cancun, and for those looking to get a taste of Yucatan birding without going too far or feeling too intimidated I think it's a great place to start.

Any questions? Fire away. If you plan to be in the region in early February, drop me a line.

Hi, edboy59 -
Back in '08, my wife and I traveled the road passing through Central Vallarta that you mention. We took it as a "short cut" to Ek Balam from Puerto Morelos. Ha-ha - we were fools. Adventurous but dumb. It took us quite a few hours. Here's what it looked like back then.

We liked Coba also. For us, it was excellent birding, one of our favorite ruins.

Steve

Attachments

• Vallarta Road.jpg
    Vallarta Road.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 86
Hamhed,

What a difference a number of years and a major hurricane can do. Not sure which section of the road that was but I'm guessing the eastern end not too far from Puerto Morelos as that is where the foliage comes closest to the roadway now. Everything was beaten down by the level 5 hurricane a few years ago, so it's not nearly as tall, nor as dense. The road looks to be improved over what it looked like when this image was taken.

Taking the toll road from near the airport west is now certainly the way to go to Ek Balam, Chichen Itza and on to Merida.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back