• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

South Goa Nov 2016 (1 Viewer)

neilh

We spent the last two weeks of November at the Taj Exotica hotel in Benaulim, the weather was hot and sunny for the fortnight and the hotel one of the best in the world with a price tag to match !!!
Not a birding holiday but a gentle taste of India (we'll be back), I gave my binoculars an airing for an hour every morning after breakfast around the hotel grounds and local vicinity, and kept my eyes open whilst lazing by the pool or on the beach !!
The hotel grounds were kept immaculately with extensive lawns, flowerbeds and shrubbery, outside the grounds were areas of arable, paddyfields, scrub, and semi-jungle.

I ended up with a list of 85 including over 70 lifers.

Cattle egret and House Crow were the most obvious birds in the grounds with White Throated Kingfisher, Tailorbird and Black Rumped Flameback the noisiest. Black and Brahminy Kites were in the air most of the time, and there was a hirundine passage every afternoon at about 4, one day accompanied by an Amur falcon. Coucal and Koel were in the gardens with a few species of warbler, bulbul and Green beeeater. I also had Paradise Flycatcher, Magpie Robin, White Browed and Coppersmith Barbet.
The flowerbeds had Ashy Prinia and Blyths reed warbler.

Outside the hotel the paddyfields were good for waders, pipits, herons, and egrets. The best here were Openbill, Wooly necked Stork, Pintail Snipe and Black headed Ibis. The cattle were always accompanied by egrets, Black Drono and Mynas. I also had Bushchat, Stonechat and Red Wattled Lapwing.

On the beach in the morning were Sand and Kentish Plovers in small flocks and the occasional Blue Reef Heron. Kites and one or two White Bellies Sea Eagle seemed to be piicking fish from the sea surface. Not many 'sea birds' but a few Gull billed Terns, Brown headed gulls and Crested Terns.

The scrub always had Indian Roller, Beeeaters and Drongos, I found Long Tailed Shrike as well.

A good gentle intro to India, I'm sure I could have had half as many again if I'd spent longer looking and learned a few calls.
Stlll, plenty to go at next time !!!!

Good to hear about your trip. Like you we are haeding out to India for the first time, one week in Kerala and one week at the Cadide de Goa. We are really looking forward to a new country to experience with a few birds thrown in. Can I ask what if any was your birding book of choice? Did you venture out on any trips while in Goa or was your birding based around the hotel gardens and beach?
Any useful info or tips would be very welcome
Thanks in advance
Roger

The Grimmett and Inskipp is the most recommended though make sure you buy the latest since some of the names have changed recently.
Rayman is an excellent guide who can take you for half or full days. 9922271840. A trip to Bondla gives you a new perspective on Goa birds.

Hi. Wimpy, I took the Helm book Birds of Southern India, which proved quite adequate. I didn't go on any birding trips, just birded around the hotel and area for an hour after breakfast most days. Have a good trip it's a very special place.

Hi. Wimpy, I took the Helm book Birds of Southern India, which proved quite adequate. I didn't go on any birding trips, just birded around the hotel and area for an hour after breakfast most days. Have a good trip it's a very special place.

Agreed! There is still (fortunately) a lot of greenery left in Goa. So birds are aplenty. Bondla and even Cotigao wildlife sanctuaries are quite nice.
Also +1 on the Grimmett/Inskipp recommendation.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back