• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Christmas Day birding? (1 Viewer)

Kkkaty

Hello
I'm new to this forum and though I'm a nature lover I'm also a journalist! So I hope no one minds if I post a request...
I'm writing a piece for the Telegraph about unusual ways to spend Christmas Day. I wondered if anyone on the forum a) has spent theirs birding; b) might be planning to do so again on the 25th this year and c) also has good quality pictures of themselves on a past Christmas Day? I don't want much, do I?
Santa hat/mince pies optional but welcome. Maybe in a hide, under a bush - whatever!
If so, do please get in touch via DM.
Many thanks in advance - Katy

Hi there and a warm welcome to you from those of us on staff here at BirdForum :t:

We're glad you found us and thanks for taking a moment to say hello. Please join in wherever you like ;)

Hi Katy, and welcome to the forum. You might want to post your request in the birds and birding subforum, might get more responses there.

Hello
I'm new to this forum and though I'm a nature lover I'm also a journalist! So I hope no one minds if I post a request...
I'm writing a piece for the Telegraph about unusual ways to spend Christmas Day. I wondered if anyone on the forum a) has spent theirs birding; b) might be planning to do so again on the 25th this year and c) also has good quality pictures of themselves on a past Christmas Day? I don't want much, do I?
Santa hat/mince pies optional but welcome. Maybe in a hide, under a bush - whatever!
If so, do please get in touch via DM.
Many thanks in advance - Katy

As Lisa says you may get a fuller response in a different section of this site (maybe a mod would move your request, or re-post).

I expect most birders will try and escape for some fresh air at least, but family can make it awkward to do anything too extreme I guess for most ... some must have though.

btw did you know it's a big thing in the states - the 'Annual Christmas Day Bird Count'?!

As Lisa says you may get a fuller response in a different section of this site (maybe a mod would move your request, or re-post).

I expect most birders will try and escape for some fresh air at least, but family can make it awkward to do anything too extreme I guess for most ... some must have though.

btw did you know it's a big thing in the states - the 'Annual Christmas Day Bird Count'?!

The Christmas Bird Count was introduced by Frank Chapman, an eminent US ornithologist, as an alternative to the Christmas Shoot.
It would be great if some contemporary could introduce the concept elsewhere, for starters perhaps in Malta, but ideally throughout the world.

Thanks! I didn't realise how many people were in the US on this forum! Thanks for the hint about the bird count but I'm trying to find someone in Britain if I can. Any idea which section of the forum would be best to post in?
Katy

If all goes to plan, I'll be be camping out on a remote mountain top, lands of some special birds. Later in the day, should drop to lower altitude and, after dark, be wandering forest tracks with the goal of finding my Christmas present, a nocturnal species with barely 400 left in the world. Presuming success, will then be back in my tent toasting the end of another excellent Christmas Day. From the UK, but not in the UK.

Wow:eek!: yours sounds like a hidden level off of Tombraider mine will be a short cycle ride to my local ‘lake’ aka The Golden Puddle, a couple down a local pub and a home made Curry washed down with Cava. To give you some idea i am down there daily ‘local patching’ and it is looking like the first blank year for a wader in the decade i have been covering it - having said that the last one recorded there last October was a..........Grey Phalarope:eek!: so always expect the unexpected!

I look forward to your update from this teaser trailer - always Jos, always different - Merry Christmas to one and all:t:

Good birding -

Laurie -

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back