• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Christmas Day Birding? (1 Viewer)

Vectis Birder

Itchy feet
Anyone planning to slip out/being allowed out for a quick bird tomorrow?

In my case no, I'll probably be too drunk!

Whatever you're all doing have a safe, peaceful and merry time tomorrow!

Cheers and Merry Christmas
VB B :)

Anyone planning to slip out/being allowed out for a quick bird tomorrow?....

I always go out birding for an hour or two on Christmas Day. It's a nice, refreshing way to get over the hang over from the night before, and there are very few people about. Never very far tho', just to the local patch. I've found a few locally good birds on Christmas Day.....

I'm heading to my parents, but planning to leve early enough to do some birding en route - perhaps at Paxton Pits.

I actually spent all day last Christmas Day birding on my own. Met no-one all day despite being very close to home and the centre of Leeds - not even any dogwalkers - pretty unique, that, and thoroughly enjoyable.

Merry Christmas (or Wonderful Winterval or Whatever)
Graham

Yes. There is a small flock of Chaffinchs and Bramblings near my house and till now I didn't succeed to take good pics with them. This will be the first morning task. After that, a short walk in the nearby park...maybe there are new winter guests!

P.S. I met the flock. I will post the pics later...

Anyone planning to slip out/being allowed out for a quick bird tomorrow?

In my case no, I'll probably be too drunk!

VB B :)

I shall be just the other side of the Solent in a little while, complete with birding wife, I'll give you a wave but don't suppose you'll notice if you're legless.

Well, as far as a walk on Bournemouth beach goes! Going to spend half an hour or so watching the gulls and pigeons, got a heavy cold at the moment so not doing any drinking due to the medications, (boohoo!!) so that as far as I will get methinks. Waiting until the rain stops, it will around lunchtime if BBC weather has got it right for around these parts!!

Hope everyone else is having a good time.

No chance here - apart from the entertainment expected it's absolutely chucki ng it down.

However, just seen a group of Long Tailed Tits on the garden feeders, the first I've ever had in garden!

No need to go out, just had a female Blackcap in the garden. First one I've seen this year.

Merry Christmas everyone

I was determined to find a new bird on Christmas day whilst wearing a Santa hat left over from last night's revelry in Chengdu. Unfortunately all I managed was a couple of Ashy-throated Parrotbills in a Vinous-throated Parrotbill flock. A new bird, but the most recent treatment of the family re-lumps these beauties. Couldn't get onto an interesting looking bush warbler. Maybe it didn't approve of the Santa hat....Merry Christmas.

No need to go out, just had a female Blackcap in the garden. First one I've seen this year.

Merry Christmas everyone

Yes Scamp,I know what you mean,in my garden at the moment:~
Blue rock thrush
Blackcap
Sardinian warbler~tbc
Black redstart
Sombre tit
Corn bunting
Mind you I might just go down the patch later anyway to find the Reed bunting for some pics.

Testing out my new handy cam video camera which is very good at a chip shop with views over Epsom Downs today- hopefully get some footage of Pied Wagtail and BH Gull. On Saturday I'm going to see my cousins in Manchester and 2 or three of our 5 or so days we will pop over to Pennington Flash and Martin Mere- can't wait to test the cam out on Whooper Swans and Willow Tits!

I had arranged to do a couple of hours patching around a nearby gravel pit with birding chum but the weather is sooooo sht this morning, + I'm desperately hung over from last nights vino.

Anyone thinking about spring mig yet;)

Matt

Attachments

• 107m.jpg
    107m.jpg
    154.6 KB · Views: 58
  • 221m.jpg
    221m.jpg
    184.1 KB · Views: 55
  • 333m.jpg
    333m.jpg
    194.6 KB · Views: 56
  • 181m.jpg
    181m.jpg
    191.9 KB · Views: 59
Last edited:
Glorious sunshine here in North West England today. I managed to get out on the bike for a couple of hours this morning and ticked off some decent farmland birds such as Tree Sparrows, Corn Buntings, Grey Partridge, Skylarks, 200+ Linnets, Yellowhammers and Reed Bunting, plus a few Pink-footed Geese.

Now we're getting ready for the relatives arriving and preparing the food and I have a kind of smug feeling that I can let myself go this afternoon, safe in the knowledge that I have already done 15 miles on the bike today, and had a decent amount of fresh air B :)

Lots of people out and about here actually, not just dog walkers, but cyclists too. More than I expected, but probably because we've got such glorious weather.... :t:

Got out this afternoon, after hearing reports of a Black-faced Spoonbill in the local Egret roost, and a male Baikal Teal at my local patch of Hiroshima Castle found by friend there this morning.

Found the Baikal Teal trying to look inconspicuous among the small flock of Wigeon, Pochard and Tufties on the moat. The colors were glorious, really one of the most gorgeous ducks in the Paleartic. I managed a few shots before the batteries went dead.

Moved along to the local river, checked out the gull roost en route to the upper reaches and had the usual suspects - Black-headed Gull, Vegae Gull, Slaty-backed Gull, Kamchtaka (Common) Gull, Black-tailed Gull and Heuglin's Gull.

The BF Spoonbill was nowhere in site, but did manage to find an immature male Goshawk perched up high on a bare tree, a couple of Peregrines on a pylon and a transmission tower, 4 Ospreys bathing, a pair of Crested Kingfisher playing around the foot of the Egret roost which held 20+ Great Egret, 50+ Little Egret and 12 Night Heron. Finally as the light faded a female Baikal Teal came out from te cover of some riverside vegetation and fed hungrily alongside 8 Falcated Duck, including 2 glorious Napoleon-hatted males.

Not a bad little afternoons birding on the whole.

Hope everyone enoys their Xmas birding

Sean

PS The photo is not mine, but a friends..just had to share it

Attachments

• 1331_2.jpg
    1331_2.jpg
    39.1 KB · Views: 55
I shall be just the other side of the Solent in a little while, complete with birding wife, I'll give you a wave but don't suppose you'll notice if you're legless.

Well, I didn't get drunk - I only had one Baileys and am currently drinking a beer - because I still don't feel 100% since having the flu last week. I did however, so some garden birding: House Sparrow, Blue Tit, Robin, Woodpigeon, Blackbird, Black-headed Gull, Jay, Rook, Carrion Crow.

I went out this morning to look for a couple of Crossbills that were seen locally. I didn't get to see them but saw a lovely Red Squirrel, which was nice.|=)|

Twite.

Well, I didn't get drunk - I only had one Baileys and am currently drinking a beer - because I still don't feel 100% since having the flu last week. I did however, so some garden birding: House Sparrow, Blue Tit, Robin, Woodpigeon, Blackbird, Black-headed Gull, Jay, Rook, Carrion Crow.

Hope you feel better soon - from one sufferer to another, in my case a heavy cold!! Not exactly pleasant weather to go out and about today either - see you are on the Wight, I could have probably given you a wave if I'd have bothered to go down by the seafront in Bournemouth, but weather was so damp and dreary just managed to make Spar for a couple of bits!!

Think we have sun tomorrow so hopefully will get out and about in the sales, and may do my seafront walk then!

Birdwise, I've been garden birding, but nowt except the woodpigeons, threw some flapjack and biscuits out the window to stop me pigging them, and only the pigeons and squirrels turned up. Not even Mr Robin, usually whenever I open my window, within a minute there is a red blob somewhere opposite in the bushes on the wish. Think a few tits were on the feeder, and the odd dunnock, but that is it. Maybe our blackcaps will show up soon.

Lucky you having a beer and Baileys, due being on those flu/cold tabs cannot drink, last time I did that, lets say I regretted it!! Going to make up for lost time New Year though..:-O Even the fox got the turkey, as I couldn't face it...

Get well soon - from across the Solent!!

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back