• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

The EU environment commissioner and the UK government re Capercaillie. (1 Viewer)

alcedo.atthis

I note that our illustrious government has had it's wrists slapped by the said commissioner in regards to the decline of the UK's population of the Capercaillie, (contradicted by SNH) and the lack of suitable habitat that the UK has provided for this species.
Hope that he's not tucking into a Lark surprise pie for tea.

Regards

Malky
Edited 26th Feb.
This post was originaly posted in the "News, Views and Reporting Points" as the information it contains was in the "News and the written Media" The post was "Reporting a point". The post seems to have gone a wondering, bit like Alan Whicker, of Whickers World and Whickers Walkabout, etc, but at least, he seemed to have genuine reasons for doing so.
Someone like to explain this spurious movement phenomena which seems to be going on??

Last edited:
Good on the EU Commissioner - always like it when they slap our (or any other govt.) over failure to protect birds

The govt also got a slap over Hen Harriers too a year or two ago, and what have they done about it? Confiscated estates where the persecution is happening? No. Put a mandatory 5 year prison sentence on owners convicted of persecution? No.

High time somebody got tough over harrier persecution.

As Capercaillies are so endangered why are they on the lists of birds that can be shot?Read this in a thread on here "farmers markets", I think, someone posted a list of birds that could be legally shot. Why, I am simple minded but surely you don't need an Act of Parliament to remove it or do you? Do we have a Minister of Environment or not, if so does that post cover wildlife as well as environment?

Ann Chaplin

A CHAPLIN said:
As Capercaillies are so endangered why are they on the lists of birds that can be shot?Read this in a thread on here "farmers markets", I think, someone posted a list of birds that could be legally shot. Why, I am simple minded but surely you don't need an Act of Parliament to remove it or do you? Do we have a Minister of Environment or not, if so does that post cover wildlife as well as environment?

Ann Chaplin

I think that there's a voluntary moratorium on shotting Capercaillies in Scotland at the moment.

Parliament, ie Westminster, could not now legislate to protect Capercaillies. I think that would be up to Holyrood and the inhabitants of Numptyworld, i.e. the Scottish Executive.

David

Hi David,

Sorry I should have said Scottish Executive not parliament.

If there is a voluntary moratorium on Capercaillies, if some of our Scottish members wrote to the Executive about how rare Capercaillies are, that could be a step towards a law protecting the birds.

Just a thought as posted on a thread recently was a BBC news item stating the Scottish Executive has plans to make the possession of a range of specified pesticides an offence as they are commited to protecting Scotland's natural heritage.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back