• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

To use objective covers or not (1 Viewer)

I always use them. In deep, wet brush water will kick up on the objectives. Same when in snow.

Everyone uses binoculars differently and in different conditions. There is no "right" answer, just the one that fits you and your circumstances.

I echo the sentiments of Lieven, Lee, John etc. those seconds of taking objective covers off may seem insignificant, but it could make the difference between clinching an ID or not. I struggle with even just a rainguard and my glasses on occasion in tropical climes, so the additional faff of objective covers is a no-no, but then it is each to their own, and some of us are more at the fanatical end of the scale on here!
As a brief aside, I've seen a few birders using extension tubes added onto their bins, particularly useful when pushing through dense vegetation looking for migrants - the ones I've seen are rather home-made in their appearance, but could be another alternative if you are concerned about damage to the glass and don't wish to use covers?

Thank you all for your thoughts on this. I know it’s a personal preference thing, for now I’m going with fitting the objective covers and taking them off when I arrive ata location and replacing when the need arises.

I have been a proud owner of a new pair of El 8.5x 42 pro for three weeks now. They amaze me every time I look through them. I am still wondering weather to use the objective covers or not. I was just wondering what other people do out of curiosity?
Friends don't let friends NOT use objective covers (or is that let them use Zoom Binoculars ! I can never remember :-O :)

I like to use objective covers and feel a little bit naked without them :eek!: .... note - I am want to nip off into the bush at the drop of a hat for one reason or another (quite a lot of shrubs here are usually not soft and feathery)

I find the objective covers easy to whip off in the one motion of raising the bins to your eyes before you've even reached your eyes - so zeroish loss of time. (NB:- I usually walk along with the bins hanging around my neck - I may sometimes have one hand on them to steady them from banging around). If I'm in a non-scatchy sitch - I can live without the objective covers on, but I'm always putting the eyepiece covers off and on - too much dust and fluff usually - I may nix even this if I'm in an open space by some water with lush vegetation and constantly viewing.

Sometimes, if I'm on a well defined open trail, or onto something, I may carry the bins freely in hand and wouldn't have the objective covers on - closed (though they are still attached to the bin). I am probably putting the eyepiece covers on and off more often. I never use a binocular case/ bag except for transport.

I'm also not a serious birder ! (whatever that is :-O )
Though the Eagles do talk to me ...... :flyaway:

I think this is pretty similar to what you've decided on.
That's fine glass you've got there - do whatever you are NOT Uncomfortable with ......

Chosun :gh:

Last edited:
I will add a variable here: it also depends on which objective covers.

I usually carry my binoculars with objective covers. Actually, if they don't have objective covers, I try to find some covers that work with them (like the Nikon EII 8x30 I mentioned a while ago or the Nikon E 12x40, picture attached). I don't find I lose any time taking them off if needed (it's done in a single movement as I raise them). In addition to this, with these classic models, the covers also help when leaving them standing on rough surfaces. I live by the sea, so there's a lot of dust, sand and the like, so the less exposure, the better, I suppose (but then, some periods of time I may use the binoculars for weeks without them). All in all, I use the covers most of the time. When I start the birding session (so to speak) I leave them hanging, so it is actually as if they weren't there... except for some objective covers.

I've come across two particular devices where the covers are a bit of a pain, namely the Leica 7x42 UVHD and the Kowa BD 8x32 XD (old). I'm not saying that this happens with every single unit of these models, but the units I've used from both binoculars suffer from the same issue. You walk along merrily, with your tethered objective covers off, hanging open (or so you think). But the moment you raise the binos to your eyes (blink, blink)... black. Who turned out the light? It turns out that in these particular binoculars (or at least my units; YMMV), the hanging movement while walking attaches the covers to the binoculars again (unnoticed) and tight enough so that you have to undo them again.

This is something I haven't encountered with other binoculars I've used, and something I find quite annoying. With other binoculars I currently use, if you take them off and walk along, they will stay off all the time, so it is actually like if they weren't there.

Attachments

• NikonE12x40_covers.jpeg
    NikonE12x40_covers.jpeg
    60.4 KB · Views: 54
Hi Neil, late to your party but as someone who's been doing photography a lot longer than using binoculars regularly I noticed how much more quickly a binocular image is degraded by dust on the front elements than that from a camera lens. And - going with the old Leitz advice about its being better to keep the lens clean than to keep cleaning the lens - I do what I think you've decided to do. I.e. keep the covers on till you need to look sharp, then keep them off while you are busy. Two years ago I couldn't understand why the view through my Ultravid HD 8x42 seemed disappointing and thought sadly that it was evidence of a more old-fashioned design than other glass I was starting to try. No, though that might be partly true it was just that I had let the front glass get dirty and not really noticed it when looking at the outside of the binoculars. Have fun (by the way I'm not a serious birder but I enjoy having a go and also looking at lots else in the natural world).

Tom

I find they tend to get in the way, so I don't use them. Haven't for more than 60 years and have not had any mishaps because they were absent.

Clear skies, Alan

I never use them. I bushwhack a lot - it's not that hard to protect the bottom of the bins with your hand when necessary. If blowing sand or a river crossing or truly hellish bushwhacking require better-protecting your bins, tuck them into your clothing or a backpack or, in the case of bad sand, put a bag over them as protecting the focuser is as important as the lenses in sand.

I carried one pair of binoculars for 3.5 years of intense birding through the neotropics - birded my way full-time and non-stop from Baja California to Tierra del Fuego. I went for most every hard species and to almost every remote / hard to get to location there is along the way. I estimate a bit over 1000 birding days in that time. Saw about 3000 species. I ruined a couple jackets and sweaters, many pairs of pants and t-shirts, a backpack, and at least 3 pair of shoes on that trip. My binoculars at the end had a very shiny patina, the logo was worn most of the way off, and the focuser was a bit grittier than it had been at the start of the trip, but had only one small scratch on one objective lens that wasn't visible in use.

None of this is to say that there is a wrong or right - just differing viewpoints. Do you have the binocular because you love the binocular, or because you are batsh*t insane for birding?

I use my binoculars for both work, and for pleasure. I am an ecologist and use them for a range of surveys including bird and mammal surveys. I also use them for look for features on the outside of buildings which could be used by bats.

It depends on your circumstances. I do a lot of watching at the seaside and using the covers reduces the need for cleaning the objective lenses.

Hi,

I still don't see what's the REAL trouble to use the objectives covers...time to get them out...? Not really, I flip them out at the same time I rise the binocular to my eyes. So, what else...?

Best!

PHA

Hi,

I still don't see what's the REAL trouble to use the objectives covers...time to get them out...? Not really, I flip them out at the same time I rise the binocular to my eyes. So, what else...?

Best!

PHA

Off the top of my head, some thoughts as follows: It's possible to forget to flip them in the heat of the moment. Flipping takes two hands, which is slower esp. if the second hand is occupied with something else. Flipping requires flipping them back up, which takes time and just adds to the fiddling. If left dangling, they dangle annoyingly, catch the wind. Dangling cups catch on camera straps etc. Dangling cups are visually distracting to fellow birders. In the rain, cups get wet on the inside, transferring water to the objectives if then closed. Cups with external retention rings interfere with grip, esp on smaller bins.

Do as you like.

--AP

Hi everyone,

While I don't use objective covers with my 8 x 42, I would actually like to try some on my 8 x 25, which I often carry in my coat pockets, and which tends to get fingerprints on the objective lenses when I fish for it in my pockets. However, the 8 x 25 came without covers.

I tend to think that objective covers should be a bit more sphisticated than caps to simplify and speed up handling. I've been thinking about some iris-stye mechanism integrated into the tubes, or something. Spring loaded when closed, so push a button and they snap open while you raise them to the eyes, or something.

I've been toying with the idea to design and 3D-print something like that, but printing in plastics isn't really the ideal way to get a compact mechanism with fine tolerances. Plus, objective covers aren't really a priority for me as I tend to agree with most of the arguments for their non-usage already mentioned in this thread! :)

Regards,

Henning

Hi everyone,

While I don't use objective covers with my 8 x 42, I would actually like to try some on my 8 x 25, which I often carry in my coat pockets, and which tends to get fingerprints on the objective lenses when I fish for it in my pockets. However, the 8 x 25 came without covers.

I tend to think that objective covers should be a bit more sphisticated than caps to simplify and speed up handling. I've been thinking about some iris-stye mechanism integrated into the tubes, or something. Spring loaded when closed, so push a button and they snap open while you raise them to the eyes, or something.

I've been toying with the idea to design and 3D-print something like that, but printing in plastics isn't really the ideal way to get a compact mechanism with fine tolerances. Plus, objective covers aren't really a priority for me as I tend to agree with most of the arguments for their non-usage already mentioned in this thread! :)

Regards,

Henning

Simpler solution might be to print a couple of 1.5cm deep hoods.
That way you'll never put fingerprints on an objective again and you won't have to rack your brains to make an effective iris mechanism.

Hi all,
I have always affixed a self adhesive 10mm diameter Velcro loop disc to the centre of each objective cover and the corresponding hook disc beneath the barrel. In windy conditions i found the covers would blow into the f.o.v so this was my compromise to keep them clear.

When I started birdwatching, circa 1973 most binoculars were not supplied with a rain guard - not a good idea. I was once caught in a heavy rain shower with my CZJ 10x50 Dekarems which were not waterproof so I dried them out in the airing cupboard, however there was slight water staining on the internal surfaces of the objective lenses.
My first west German Zeiss 10x40s (1986) were supplied with a effective generic "Dialyt" rain guard which was very effective.
When I purchased the Swarovski 8x32s and the Zeiss SF 10x42 objective covers were provided, I have never needed objective covers in my 47 years of birding.
I assume (hope) that if Bill Oddie were to update his very amusing book "Bill Oddies Little Black Bird Book" he would categorise users of objective lens covers as "dudes". (Apologies to W.E.O if I'm wrong.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back