• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

help me pick a set of 10x42's (1 Viewer)

kennymac68

Studied this forum, and a few others and Im impressed with the knowledge here. so this is where Ill ask for help. I have a budget of $400 and through a lot of web surfing, discount digging etc.... I came up with this list. I can find all of these within my budget.

All 10x42 At or under $400

Steiner Predator
Steiner Peregrine
Athlon Midas G2UHD
Meopta Optica HD
Maven C1
Vortex Viper HD
Leupold ProGuide BX4 HD

Yes, I found some good discounts...One pair is just above my budget, but if recommeneded Ill get them.

Please pick one, or recommend one I missed at or under $400

thanks!!

Hello,

I have had a bad experience with Steiner binoculars.

I do not have experience with any of the other binoculars on your list , so I cannot advise.

Cheers.

I don't have experience with any of those models unfortunately - even the Vortex Vipers I have seen were older models. Two bins that will almost certainly get mentioned here are the Nikon Monarch M7, and the Vanguard Endeavor line. I'll leave it to others to comment on the various models and compare between them, but the M7 and Vanguards are "traditionally popular" options here in your price range.

I’ve had three Steiner binos, and they all performed pretty badly. I would therefore never recommend one to anyone.

As for the rest of your list, they all perform fairly well. However, I would go with the Vortex, Meopta,or the Leupold. Those companies have a long history of very good customer service, which is something the other companies don’t have. Maybe the other companies will be around ten years from now, and maybe they won’t. But I’m pretty certain that Vortex, Meopta and Leupy will be there if and when you need them. I haven’t tried the new Meopta, but between the Vortex and the Leupold, I much prefer the Pro Guide HD, but for subjective reasons that shouldn’t matter to you.

I also have no experience with those binoculars.

I've had three Steiner binoculars and all are excellent, though they are the older 'Made in Germany' Discovery models.
And, after ten years of use, a piece of rubber on the detachable objective covers of one of my Steiner 10x44 Discovery/XP binoculars failed. Steiner customer services reponded positively the next day, and I understand a replacement cover will be arriving soon, despite their office in Germany being in lockdown due to C19.

Kenny,

I agree with Dennis and Ian, go Vanguard. I have never looked through the II or IV versions but several years back bought both the original ED versions in 8.5 and 10.5x45 (both now discontinued) . Great bins for the money. If you are interested, on the auction site right now there is a 10.5 in good condition for $169 or best offer ending tomorrow.

Mike

I guess I’ll be the lone dissenter here and suggest the Leupolds. I’ve owned both them and the Vanguards. I prefer both the optics and build quality of the Leupolds which are made in Japan. If you go with the Chinese made Vanguards you may need to do some exchanges to get a keeper pair due to quality control issues.

I've only owned the Vipers. But I have owned Zeiss HT 10x42, Kowa Genesis 10.5x44, Nikon EDG, Swaro EL so I have experience with good glass. In the 400-500-- dollar range the Vipers do a good job, very low CA, good clarity and color. See if you can get a pair outside to try out. Good luck

Where are the Leupolds made out of curiosity? Oh they are made in Japan, did not read Uplands post. I would opt for them or the Meoptas.

Andy W.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back