• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Peep Northern Seward Peninsula, Alaska (1 Viewer)

shishmarefbirder

There were two peeps hanging out with a Dunlin along the water's edge. Quick little buggers, especially for the amount of light so the birds blurred in all the images. I am hoping these pics (the best that I was able to take) will be good enough for an id.

They were pale colored. The bills seem a little short for semipalmated. I was wondering if they weren't juvenile Red-necked Stints?

Attachments

• piper.jpg
    piper.jpg
    29.3 KB · Views: 119
  • piper1.jpg
    piper1.jpg
    28.8 KB · Views: 112
  • piper2.jpg
    piper2.jpg
    31.3 KB · Views: 110
First off, I've never seen juv Red-necked Stint, but would expect to see some warmer edgings to the mantle and scapular feathers, possibly the crown too, which seem to be lacking when I lighten the images up. This looks like a Sanderling to me.

James

Agree with Sanderling. The full "collar" appears somewhat unusual, but otherwise the photo looks virtually identical to the photo on page 139 of "The Shorebird Guide". (Thought I saw a hind toe at first in the middle photo, but that must be a regular toe instead).

Best,
Jim

Red-necked Stint is actually smaller than Sanderling, but size is difficult to judge without direct comparison. In the third photo it appears as though you can see there is no hind toe on the raised foot which would make this a Sanderling.

For comparison here are some excellent Red-necked Stint photos of a bird recently in San Diego, CA:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/68911779@N00/

Thanks for the physical diagnostics that I can use beyond my color blindness. The lack of a hind toe will certainly be something I will look for. Either would have been a new species for me for the year so either way I am excited.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back