• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hi there! (1 Viewer)

jamesburlington

Hi there everyone! :)

New to bird watching and thought this would be a good place to start :t:

My name is James and I live in Canada.

Trying to pick up a hobby and I think this might be fun!! :king:

What are some good resources to learn?? What do you find to be the biggest challenge / painful part of bird watching?? Not to mention what's your favorite part of it and WHY :eat:

- J

Hi James and welcome to birdforum, we hope you enjoy the site.

Lots of questions, are you sure it's not for a thesis/dissertation on birding? 3:)

Thank you Andy!!

Hahah thought I would get all of my questions out of the way right at the start ... I'm pretty analytical so I wanted to make sure this is the right hobby to invest my time in!

Hi James and a warm welcome from me too.

I'm sure you will enjoy it here and I hope to hear about all the birds you see when out and about.

Hi James and welcome to BirdForum.

An app with bird song is useful/ Gulls are my biggest challenge/ other birders can be quite painful(not always)/ and I enjoy most getting out and about and having time to just chill. Our hobby takes us to the most beautiful places.

Rich

Hi James and welcome to BirdForum.

An app with bird song is useful/ Gulls are my biggest challenge/ other birders can be quite painful(not always)/ and I enjoy most getting out and about and having time to just chill. Our hobby takes us to the most beautiful places.

Rich

Haha other birders being painful?! Why? :-O

I agree... I'm already a big hiker so now I'll have even more reasons to be in the beautiful outdoors :)

Hello James, welcome to the forum. Nice of you you to join us.

Hi James,
Most painful part? When you've been following a constantly flitting bird through a forest, you're just about to nail the ID, and it flits away for good.
Favourite part? Too, too many to list, but for staters...
Being alone in the midst of a wetland with the calls of wild geese overhead.
Panning and staring through binoculars to find a bird of prey staring right back.
Finally finding that little gem of a warbler you've been admiring in your bird book for far too long.
I could go on, probably forever.

Hi ya James and a warm welcome to you from Myrtle Beach :t: Enjoy your new hobby which will soon become an obsession ;)

Welcome to BirdForum! I am sure you will find lots to interest you here, and I hope you enjoy your visits.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back