• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

looking 8x30 model. (1 Viewer)

in the porro-prism binoculars sector do you think that the E2 is better than the Habicht, both 8x30? i< think that the Habicht is fantastic!!
Wachi.

in the porro-prism binoculars sector do you think that the E2 is better than the Habicht, both 8x30? i< think that the Habicht is fantastic!!
Wachi.

Hi,

risking to need my asbestos longjohns soon ;-)

The examples of Habicht 8x30 I have tried (3 iirc - one in direct comparison to my E2) have convinced me, that the Habicht 8x30 is not for me.
The two main reasons were the slow and really stiff (especially on new examples) focus drive and the amount of glare I saw in the Habicht.

If I didn't have an SE 10x42, a well broken in (so the focus is only slow and not so stiff any more) pair of 10x40 might tempt me - stray light protection is better there.

The 7x42 is unfortunately plagued by a narrow field of view due to undersized prisms - might be a valid design decision to keep it light, but not my cup of tea.

Joachim

Last edited:
Bob:

This is about an 8x30 model, and you have mentioned the 8x25 CL, this in no way compares to the overall usefulness compared to an 8x30-32 model.
Not sure why you mentioned it.

So, if looking at a Swarovski model, there are many choices, if looking at preowned it opens up a large selection. The 8x30 SLC Neu, the 8x30 CL original version, the 8x32 EL, can all be found in the price range of under
$1,200.
The original EL 8x32 offers a pleasing 8* FOV, an has one of the most ergo
friendly designs available. The EL SV offers an even better view.

Jerry

In his original post he was concerned that the 8x30s and 8x32s would be out of his price range so I mentioned the 8x25 to him and discussed its cost and merits compared to the others.

Bob

In his original post he was concerned that the 8x30s and 8x32s would be out of his price range so I mentioned the 8x25 to him and discussed its cost and merits compared to the others.

Bob

Bob:
The original subject was about 8x30 choices, and the 8x25 and smaller sizes do fall short in overall use and viewing.

I was just trying to confirm staying with 8x30.

Jerry

Bob:
The original subject was about 8x30 choices, and the 8x25 and smaller sizes do fall short in overall use and viewing.

I was just trying to confirm staying with 8x30.

Jerry

Jerry,

You could have answered Pluton's original post when I did and in your own manner but you didn't. I also had further discussion with him in Post # 8 in response to his questions in Post #3 about the 8x30 and 8x25 that you missed. It completely clarified the differences between these binoculars.

Bob

Last edited:
I recall the original poster mentioned in the past he does not need/use glasses/spectacles. If that's still the case, the 8x30 Habicht is worth trying - decently wide field, well built, fairly compact, and better protected against weather than other 8x30 porros. Optically, the one I tried was just after I'd looked through Swarovski's superlative 8x56, which for me surpasses virtually every binocular I've ever tried, so I probably wasn't as impressed with it as I might otherwise have been - but I did think it was the best 8x30 porro I've tried, bright, very sharp on axis, and (critical for me) enough focus beyond infinity to compensate for my myopia. I didn't find the focus wheel difficult to turn, as some have reported; but I like focus resistance to be on the stiff side. The main issue for those that don't need/wear glasses might be edge sharpness, as some of the old 8x30 designs are not that great in this department. Misting of the ocular lenses might also be an issue in cold weather, but this shouldn't be a problem in Spain.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back