• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

No Swifts ? (1 Viewer)

Chris-Bennett

Its 3rd of May and I haven't seen any Swifts yet, its warm and the sky's blue but no Swifts ?

I wonder if its because its been such a dry spring this year here in UK, maybe the insect life isn't flourishing in these dry conditions. Ordinarily this time of year with leaves bursting forth on the trees, I always hear a hum from insects when walking in woodland, dead quiet though now, strange!

Its 3rd of May and I haven't seen any Swifts yet, its warm and the sky's blue but no Swifts ?

I wonder if its because its been such a dry spring this year here in UK, maybe the insect life isn't flourishing in these dry conditions. Ordinarily this time of year with leaves bursting forth on the trees, I always hear a hum from insects when walking in woodland, dead quiet though now, strange!

they were late getting to France in numbers, and are still not as abundant as they usually are - but they're on their way, don't fret! :t:

Hope your right nickderry an that they arive soon and in huge numbers |:d|

Maybe the north east winds holding em back then Mike? well I can relate to that! me n Mrs went a 7 mile cycle ride up the canal yesterday slap in to this strong wind thats been blowing for days, it wore us out but it then blowed us all the way back home again :t:.

Thanks for that must have been a great sight, I know when I went to Cyprus five year ago, my first trip abroud, we had a storm, I went up onto the roof to see if I could get a picture of the lightening, but looking up I saw hundreds of swifts against a black sky, I thought the poor s.... having to fly through all this just to get to the U.K. I had a tear in my eyes

Last edited:
Big arrival in Weymouth today, this evening there were probably hundreds going through and screaming their heads off! Superb sound!

My first two of the year over Colchester Castle earlier today... and most importantly I spotted them before my brother. ;)

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back