• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bonelli's Eagle? (1 Viewer)

BillD

Hi,
Can anyone help me out with this ID, photos taken from long range I'm afraid.
Seen 9th November 2019, Garrucha, Andalucia.
I believe that it is a juvenile Bonelli's.
Thanks BillD

Attachments

• Bonelli's (poss) and Magpie (2).jpg
    Bonelli's (poss) and Magpie (2).jpg
    132.1 KB · Views: 152
  • Bonelli's (poss) in flight (2).jpg
    Bonelli's (poss) in flight (2).jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 180
Thank you guys,
Strange enough there was a Bonelli's rescued by the police from a pool in Los Gallardos this week.
Cheers BillD

Thank you guys,
Strange enough there was a Bonelli's rescued by the police from a pool in Los Gallardos this week.
Cheers BillD

mmm...possibly a misjudged hunting of a waterbird; I say this because a Booted Eagle here near Sagres this autumn did a similar thing and was up to its breast in water....the local nature police approached it to rescue it but it managed to fly off after an hour in the water!

Agree Bonelli's. I have a holiday home near Garrucha
There are a breeding pair above Turre in the Sierra Cabrera. They regularly hunt water birds on the large water treatment tanks on the road from Garrucha to Los Gallardos and also seen them on the lakes opposite Consum and the water park.

Nice to see a younger bird in the area

Karl

Thanks Karl,
Like wise we have a place at Los Gallardos, not the most bird rich area but over the weekend managed to see black shouldered kite and common crane, locally.
Cheers
BillD

Hi Bill
We are back in cold and wet Manchester now until the Spring.
You may already know but their are Bonelli also up around Bedar up the hill from you.
Ive have seen them circling around the large rocky outcrop above Bedar harassing a Golden Eagle, viewed from the car park on the right as you enter Bedar by the cemetery.
There should still be Booted Eagle around Vera Badlands, the swamp opposite Consum and the Aqua Park and I've seen White and Black Stork, Short Toed Eagle, there around this time of year plus anything can pass through on its way south.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back