• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birding in 2020, Coronavirus et al, an East European View (1 Viewer)

I know where I’d rather be! Did you say there were two cabins????

There are indeed, you are welcome. Er, good luck getting across the intervening borders :)

Forecast over next days in non-stop sunshine, temperature rising to a pleasant 14 C by week's end. Moving into my cabin permanently from Tuesday evening, predicting a good few days to kick things off.

I would certainly be in cousins cabin in Finland in the woods right now... brings back great memories of summers hidden away...

Great reading. Just looked at the flowers + one that is labelled violet is Hepatica nobilis. Yellow is Coltsfoot + the pinkish one Pulmonaria, think P. officinalis.

Stay safe as much as any of us can at the moment.

Great reading. Just looked at the flowers + one that is labelled violet is Hepatica nobilis. Yellow is Coltsfoot + the pinkish one Pulmonaria, think P. officinalis.

Stay safe as much as any of us can at the moment.

Thanks, the 'violet' is a direct translation from Lithuanian. Hepatica far better label, many thanks.

25 March.

Coronavirus cases rising by 30 or 40 a day, then 65 today. A total of 274 confirmed cases now. Three more deaths this day, two again associated with an outbreak in Ukmerge hospital. Large numbers of Lithuanians returning from higher risk countries, a pretty shambolic state of affairs. Many returnees floating quarantine requirements, then a relatively poor response by the government - after the horse had bolted, the government opened compulsory quarantine centres …then promptly put two persons per room and allowed movement within the centre. Good one, perfect virus factory!

From my side, I decided it was time to leave Vilnius and move semi-permanently to Labanoras - if no lockdown, I will continue to pop back to the city every few days. Minus 5 C, a distinct crunch to the grass when I arrived in Labanoras late at night, one very vocal Tawny Owl welcoming me.

A cold night, but a beautiful morning on the 25th - Cranes calling on a frost-etched landscape, Buzzards mewing in the still morning air. As sun brought warmth, I took a wander to meadow pools - yet more signs of spring with the arrival of incoming migrants, two pairs of Teal and one Green Sandpiper the best of the day, a return of Black-headed Gulls too, plus several Linnets.

Not a bad day, and with temperatures set to rise in the next say or two, more good things to come.

Photo: Tawny Owls in my nestbox a few years back, hopefully last night's songster will be back in the box this season.

Attachments

• Tawny Owls, labanoras.jpg
    Tawny Owls, labanoras.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 51
Last edited:
Aren't owl chicks something? The pic below is from 1995, in my parents' garden. Our cat, which was usually kept indoors (she was a couch potato anyway), had just had kittens (ok, she may have gone outside occasionally ;)) and we had taken them out in the garden to play for a while (as you do with toddlers), when the cat started hissing and growling furiously at something which we couldn't immediately locate. Only upon closer inspection we found the culprit and promptly removed all the cats. The chick was learning to fly and was stuck inside the garden, which had a high wall. The parents fed it and it managed to fly to a safer location a few days later.

Attachments

• allocco2.jpg
    allocco2.jpg
    206.2 KB · Views: 46
Aren't owl chicks something?

Indeed.

And now the funny story of the day - mid-afternoon, tried to start the car ...not a bit of life to it! Jeepers, thought I, this will be fun in the times of shut down. Fortunately, Lithuania is still functioning and an hour or so of watching Buzzards thermalling in the warm afternoon sunshine, in rolled a rescue truck, driver in respirator, straight up from Vilnius. And then he got stuck in the mud on my land! Oh really jeepers, thought I.

First he fixed my car, which took him all of 30 seconds o:D - then we moved my car and he used it as an anchor to pull himself out using the truck winch. Both cars free and moving, back to Vilnius I went, my permanent move had lasted less than 24 hours :) :) :)

Guy said they would be no further problem with the car, but switched cars nevertheless - who knows what's possible if another issue in some days. Thereafter, back to Labanoras again.

Last edited:
You love sticky muddy tales Jos. :-O

Though could be a change from snowy/icy ones.;)

Office Life. 26 March.

Day at the office, shut down style. And what a great day it was, temperatures soaring to a balmy 12 C, bringing out the first several Siberian Winter Damselflies of the spring, so too a Yellow-legged Tortoiseshell and four Brimstones, wonderful all. Displaying Woodlarks and Green Sandpipers, booming Bittern, Great White Egrets and Grey Herons to the colony and, late afternoon, the return of the first White Stork ...not bad for a day at the office :)

Coronavirus tally continues to climb, 299 cases in the country now, several cases in the military. Lithuanian government does a U-turn on the quarantine centres - after effectively creating virus factories the day before, now allows the quarantined persons to go home. Dimwits!

Office Life Mk II. 27 March.

Big Buzzard day, a pretty constant trickle of them drifting north in warm sunny conditions. Big tick day too - no less than 48 of the little creepy crawlies crawling up my legs on an afternoon stroll! So there it was for the day, working much of the time, occasional pleasant distractions such as a pair of vocal Lesser Spotted Woodpeckers, the early returnee White Stork plodding around, my first Common Snipe of the season.

Back in the real world, a fifth person in Lithuania died from Covid-19, tally of infected persons jumped by 59 to 358. Government pondered locking down Ukmerge town, decided against it for now.

Last edited:
Mmmm.... Nice one Jos... and the sky is blue!!! Not like the grey skies we've had here!

Just watched a cool YouTube on the Baltic states. I hadnt fully appreciated the topography and the amount of spring flooding in your area. Beautiful!

It was great to watch the great snipe - a bird on my hit list...

Big tick day too - no less than 48 of the little creepy crawlies crawling up my legs on an afternoon stroll!

:eek!:I obviously did well and only picked up one!! That was bad enough LOL

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back