Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Magnifying the passion for nature. Zeiss Victory Harpia 95. New!

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Early Birds

Old Saturday 26th May 2018, 11:01   #1
Bird_Bill

Early Birds

Hi everyone!

Sitting here in my kitchen well before sunrise, but light enough to see my nectar feeder. I train a camera on it daily, to record activity. Over the past few years, ive come to appreciate the hummers ability to get up early, and stay up late into the evening. Ruby throated species we have here amaze me with their hardiness.

Shot below is a screen shot, from my tablet, through my camera, taken at 5:37am, this morning. 15 minutes before sunrise...close to 90 minutes before the sun has risen high enough to hit the ground here.

What's the earliest and latest you've had visitors on your feeders, flowers, or even chasing bugs. Love to hear your experience

Cheers!
Bill
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20180526-053747.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	218.1 KB
ID:	663929  

BF Supporter 2012 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Saturday 26th May 2018, 17:33   #2
Lisa W
Super Moderator
BF Supporter 2018

Hi Bill, depending on whether they are migrating hummers or ones that stay and breed. During migration I’ve seen them at the feeders till almost midnight. As far as early in the am? That is what makes me a bad birder, I don’t get up early.

My birding photos
RV Travel Blog

BF Supporter 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 2018 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Wednesday 30th May 2018, 23:19   #3
TFM70

During the sumer when the days are long, I've watched the feeders till they quit feeding and I have never seen one go past 9:00 PM
Old Sunday 3rd June 2018, 02:39   #4
Bird_Bill

Thank you all, for taking the time to share

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa W View Post
Hi Bill, depending on whether they are migrating hummers or ones that stay and breed. During migration Iíve seen them at the feeders till almost midnight. As far as early in the am? That is what makes me a bad birder, I donít get up early.
Hello Lisa
I've started keeping an eye out later into the evening.
Waking up early isn't so much for me, it's staying awake at that early hour.
Thank goodness for coffee.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TFM70 View Post
During the sumer when the days are long, I've watched the feeders till they quit feeding and I have never seen one go past 9:00 PM
Hi TFM'
That's pretty much what I see here. Doubt we're far apart in latitude and daylight-nighttime hours. Our longest day here, has sunset at 8:40pm...on the summer solstice. By 9 o'clock pm.

I'm curious about full moons...
and activity extending further into the night time hours.
As Lisa mention, I've seen migrating warblers at all hours of the night. When the moon is out and bright ...I've seen various unidentified species flying across the face of the moon.

Have a notion to mount another feeder out of the shadows, and into direct sun and moon light. Days that are close to full moons in August and September., might prove productive.

BF Supporter 2012 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: