• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Zen Ray ED....initial impressions (1 Viewer)

FrankD

I had decided earlier today to make a brief trip up to a local lake to look for White-winged Crossbills. I put the neckstrap on the Minox BD BP porros in anticipation of taking them out on their first "field trip". Slight change of plans though. As I opened the front door I glanced down and noticed the "Priority Mail" box sitting on the front step. I was a bit surprised as I usually hear the doorbell ring when one of the delivery folks drops something off. The zero degree temperature last night must have done something to the doorbell mechanism as I wasn't able to get it to work either.

I grabbed the box and looked at the label. Sure enough it was the Zen Ray ED binoculars that I was keeping an eye out for. I threw them, and the dog, in the car and headed up to the lake. Upon reaching the parking area I tore open the box and took out a beautiful little set of binoculars. I say "beautiful" simply because I really do like the color scheme they have employed. They have the same color rubber armor as the Swaro ELs but with more distinctive black accents over the central bridge and in the eyecup area. Even the large red and white "Zen ED" logos located on the binocular look fairly tasteful...something I was not so sure of when I first saw the picture of them on the net.

Since they were going out walking with me I had to put the neckstrap on (so much for Tero's neckstrap hypothesis for "keepers" ;) ). The neckstrap is a wonderful design in one sense and a bit of an annoyance in another. The positive aspect of it is that it is of the same design as the Vero Vellini that I use for the Meoptas. In others words the neck is fairly well padded and it has that handy little "quick disconnect" feature that leaves a portion of the neckstrap still secured to the binoculars. The reason I enjoy this design is because many times I just tote the binoculars around the house or out on the back porch. Both are places that I do not need to have a neckstrap attached. The negative? Well, even with the neckstrap tightened to its shortest setting the binoculars hang incredibly low on my 6' 4" frame. I would say at least to my belly button. If there was some way to shorten the strap further then I would most certainly be raving about the factory included neckstrap as I love the design. The rest of the accessories are entirely adequate. They come with a hardcase similar to that of the Hawke Frontier ED/Vortex Diamondback, etc... and the usual rainguard and objective covers. FWIW the box they came in looks pretty classy in all black with red and white "ZEN ED" inscribed upon it.

Ok, enough of the niceties, lets get down to how they perform and function mechanically.

Ergonomics/Mechanics

Physically the binoculars seem practically identical to the Hawke Frontier EDs minus the color differences. They have the same solid feel and wonderful fit and finish to them. There isn't any play in the click-stop rotating eyecups...the focusing knob has good tension without any play in it and the central hinge is stiff enough not to move unnecessarily.

Speaking of focus, when I initially pulled them out you could tell that they had been sitting in the cold for some time as the focusing knob was stiffer to turn than anything I remember (except maybe the Vanguard). This was initially a concern to me as I have memories of comments surrounding the stiff focus on the Vortex Razor initially. I immediately wanted to write them off as "less than adequate" for this reason but changed my mind after more extended usage. The focusing tension was still fairly stiff in the 15 degree F weather but I was able to turn it satisfactorily after working on it for a minute or two. As I sit typing this I am working the focusing knob again. It is much smoother at room temperature but still is a bit stiffer than what I remember the Promaster and possibly the Hawke. I do not believe anyone would have a major issue with this but I thought it was worthy of being mentioned.

I find the overall ergonomics to be quite agreeable. It has the same texture and balance of that of the Hawke Frontier ED with slightly different texturing along the outer edge of each barrel. The physical weight of the binocular feels entirely acceptable for my tastes and I cannot imagine having a problem toting it around for an extended period of time.

Optical performance

Though it seems like an often used cliche in binocular reviews, this is where these binoculars really shine...pun intended. These binoculars are bright, sharp, largely free of distortion with a reasonably flat field of view and excellent chromatic aberration control. I would suggest they offer just as sharp and clean of an image as the Promaster EDs but with a larger field of view. Sounds similar to the Hawke's doesn't it? Well, it is except I would offer that this binocular, despite the same listed field of view seems to display slightly less field curvature and edge distortion than the Hawke Frontier ED. I would venture to say that it is a blend of the two from an optical perspective. I am hoping Kevin can chime in more on this issue as he has all three binoculars currently in his possession.

Looking through these binoculars is a wonderful experience. You immediately get the feeling that you are there...next to the bird and not really looking through a binocular at all. As with the Promasters the image is "Alpha" sharp, bright and wonderfully colorful. The color representation is fairly neutral with the ever so slightest warm color bias. It is less than either the Meopta or the Hawke and possibly at the same level as the Promaster. With alot of snow on the ground it is somewhat noticeable. If this was spring or summer I would be willing to bet that I would have a hard time noticing it.

At this moment I am looking out through the back window of my home at my bird feeders. There are goldfinches, pine siskins and a variety of other beautiful little birds in and around the feeders. It is a pure pleasure to look at them with the Zen Ray ED binoculars. They most certainly compare with anything I have in my selection at the present time and easily better many of them optically. For the $340-some dollars these can be had for right now I think they are just too good to pass up. They easily surpass the typical $300 roofs in so many ways that it would easily take me another half page to describe it.

Take a hard look at these. They are beautiful "little" bins.

Hopefully more to follow.

;)

Attachments

• ZenRayED.jpg
    ZenRayED.jpg
    81.3 KB · Views: 856
Last edited:
Good to hear Frank. Makes one wonder how shipping works. I'm some 200+ miles from the Zen-Ray Warehouse and you are clear across the country. Guess who get theirs first. Still looking forward to mine. I've got both the 8x and 10x ZEN hopefully on the way.

Yeah, I know how you feel. It takes a minimum of 3 days for me to get anything from Doug over in NYC (75-80 miles) but I can send a set of bins over to Kevin on the upper West Coast and it takes two days.

I think you will like these Steve.

Good to hear Frank. Makes one wonder how shipping works. I'm some 200+ miles from the Zen-Ray Warehouse and you are clear across the country. Guess who get theirs first. Still looking forward to mine. I've got both the 8x and 10x ZEN hopefully on the way.

The Zen-Ray website notes that the 2009 ED models are shipping in February. Are Frank's a different model?

The natural photo looks good, nicer than those made up ad pictures. Was there any difference to other ED Chinese glass? Focus knob...fast or slow?Stray light or halos?

The Zen-Ray website notes that the 2009 ED models are shipping in February. Are Frank's a different model?

I think that Zen Ray will have enough stock to ship generally by the first of February. I think the initial shipment of the ZEN ED was to provide review samples and to fulfill some of the earliest pre orders.

They have another binocular coming out at the end of the month which is , I think, an HD version of the Viper like ZRS.

ViewAround,

Any feature in particular you would like a picture of? I do take requests. :)

Chartwell,

I think Steve has the right of it. These are early models probably similar to the Promaster EDs we all received though I don't see how the actual production model will be any different.

Tero,

Great questions. Funny you should mention it. I don't see that "halo" of light that I saw in the Hawke. It never occurred to me until you just posted this. Further internal blackening/baffling?

It has been reasonably cloudy out today...approaching snow storm so I cannot comment on stray light out of doors. Indoors it handles it very well. I just turned on the a light (bare light bulb) in the basement and pointed the binocular at the ground...then slowly moved it up towards the light bulb. Very little flare (that half moon that develops in the lower half of the binocular) in this circumstance. Much better performance than I would have expected.

Are we seeing an evolution here when it comes to this design?

The focusing speed is about the same as the Promaster and Hawke....noticeably slower than average. But, at the risk of repeating comments from the other reviews, I like it. ;) It provides a wonderful sense of control and, despite it being slow in general it seems totally "normal" at distances that you would typically refocus at.

As for direct differences optically compared to the Hawke and Promaster.....

...I am going to rely on Kevin more in this circumstance. He will have all three in his possession and should be able to comment more precisely. Going by memory here the view is a combination of the Promaster and the Hawke. It is reasonably color neutral (like the Promaster)...reasonably flat (better than the Hawke and possibly just slightly less than the Promaster) with as little color fringing as either.

Ok, this is going to sound sad, but I just focused the bin on a bottle of "ALL" laundry detergent (laundry room adjacent to computer room). The bottle has a colorful label displayed on the side of it (yellow, black, white and red on a blue background). The image literally jumps out at you when looking through the Zen EDs. It looks very "3D-ish" but not necessarily in the sense of what a porro generates...if that makes any sense.

fguo,

I agree. I like the color combination. It is striking and distinctive without being too "glitzy".

My Promaster seems to have an issue with edge to edge clarity. You said the Zen is better than the Hawke in this area, but less than the Promaster. Do I take it that you find a bit of clarity loss around the edges with the Zen also?

Laura,

:) This is funny, I just answered this in your promaster thread. ;)

The Zen has less field curvature than the Hawke but the same field of view. That is a plus in my opinion. The Zen has the same level of "fuzziness" around the outer edge of the field view as you find in the Promaster but displays it in an image with a 33 foot wider field of view. Some folks become accustomed to it while others never will.

Funnier cuz I was just reading that while you were replying to this one!! Sounds like the Zens are a competitive player in the Ed bin field! I have til Monday to decide!!

Laura, I have seen so many pairs of binoculars that I have come to tolerate some edge softness. To satisfy yourself, go to a store that has some "alphas" and compare them to yours. Many have some sort or WOW factor that may blind one for a time to some of these faults.

View,

Give me a couple of minutes.

Oh, and to clarify about the $342 price comment....

A little birdie told me that the $342 price was a bit of a "loophole" that has now been remedied. You can use a coupon once but not multiple coupons on the same purchase. Somebody got lucky. ;)

But, seriously, even at regular price, not to mention a slight discount, these bins are wonderful performers.

Also.....

"As a courtesy for other birdforum members, we will offer refund for domestic shipping when they order our ZEN ED binoculars through 2/28/09. The refund will happen in 2-3 business days after the order is received.
"

Three pics. Give me some time to upload them in subsequent posts....

Attachments

• objective.jpg
    objective.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 374
Thanks Frank!

USPS attempted delivery of my today, but unfortunately to my office, so no one was there. I have to wait till Tuesday to get my hands on them b/c Monday is a holiday. At least your pics help hold me over ;)

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back