• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Zen Ray ED....initial impressions (1 Viewer)

I got a note from Charles at ZR on Saturday saying they'ed shipped a replacement for my 8x43 that had the too stiff focus wheel problem. I should see it Monday but I'll be out on Whidby Island birding (with some luck and under blue skies).

Obviously the second batch has arrived ...

Well, I’ve had them both for a few days now. It has been a couple of weeks since we’ve seen the sun, so all of the outdoor observations have been in gray overcast situations. There is not a lot of difference I see in the Promaster ELX ED and the ZEN ED. The ZEN is a bit brighter, but this is a small difference. It does not seem to affect the sharpness or what the image shows in detail. It may well be a function of the Repellemax coatings of the Promaster. The ZEN offers no repellent coatings. I’ve used the Promaster in the rain, and the coatings do work. The Promaster has a violet tint to the coatings, the ZEN is green.

The ZEN ED 8x has a little more than a half-degree in fov, 426’ vs. 393’. Both fields are pretty wide for the 42mm class. The ZEN and Hawke are at the top of the heap. The Promaster is about the same as the EL. The Promaster has a smooth gripping surface; the ZEN has a nicely stippled griping surface. The ZEN is a bit shorter than the Promaster and about two ounces lighter. The ZEN has a bit more sophisticated, or perhaps a better finished, feel. The ZEN also has more streamlined eye cups which will suit those with smaller faces, smaller eyes, or more deep set eyes. It will be interesting to see if the Promaster evolves a little with what look like they might be some small progress in improvement.

For wide field binoculars, they do a very good job of producing a nice flat field, with minimal, or at least very subtle edge distortions in the outer edge of the field. As far as I can see they do a very good job at control of color aberrations.

Now as to comparison to the top glass, I have compared my 8x42 Promaster to the Swarovski 8.5x42 EL. Steiner Peregrine XP 8x44, Zeiss FL 8x42, Leica Ultravid 8x42, Meopta Meostar 8x42, Bushnell Elite 8x43, and Vortex Razor 8x42. Of these I think the Promaster has a superior image to the Meopta, in that it does not have as much of the Meopta yellow tint, and it is a bit brighter in appearance and sharper than the Bushnell Elite and the Razor. It is less bright than the Zeiss as well as the Leica. The Leica does not seem as bright as the Zeiss, but seems to have a more neutral color tint and maybe a bit better color contrast. Put the Promaster ELX, the Swarovski EL, and the Steiner XP on a tripod and you (well most people anyway) have your work cut out to distinguish the three. Eventually, I placed it Swarovski, Steiner, the Promaster. None of these three are quite as bright as the Leica or Zeiss. Looking at a resolution chart really does not give any of these binoculars either a clear advantage or disadvantage. What there might be I think is largely un-noticeable unless all are right there for comparison.

Now, I do not think either of these will pass a thorough professional optical exam with the same sort of scores as the alpha class. We are talking about silver coated prisms vs. dielectric coated prisms, and probably technically better glass and broadband multi coatings, so direct equality is not likely in the cards.

About the only nit pick that I really have is the slow focus wheel rate. It requires a bit over two turns, but a lot of that is used focusing in closer than about 50 feet. A quicker focus speed will have a certain appeal for close in birding and butterfly watching. Get much past 60 feet or so and the depth of field is good enough you don’t need more that a small tap to move the wheel.

So, this puts the Promaster, and I think the ZEN ED (for me at least) about in the middle in this bunch of optics, which is not bad company to be keeping, especially considering what these cost. They are also clearly better than the mid priced Vortex Viper and Fury, Nikon Monarch, and Pentax SP. But the differences are not great, so if you are happy with your Viper or Pentax, there probably isn’t much need to rush out for one of these.

Is there a practical difference? I don’t think so. I have spent some hours with them and what one will resolve, so will the other. I would place them both in the same relative ranking as I put the Promaster above. The view through these sort of diminish (not eliminate) the “WOW” factor associated with the alpha class binocular and replace a lot of it with “WOW look at what these things do for 1/3 of the !@#$% price!”

I have sort of come to the conclusion that unless you are an obsessive (OK, I guess obsessive might be a bit harsh) optics nut, or unless you need optics in earning your living, or use optics very intensively for whatever your reasons, or unless you simply want, and can afford, the best tools for the job, you probably are not really in need of $1,500++ binoculars. But for more mortal eyes and limited budgets, you cannot do yourself any better than to order one of these. I have both 8x and 10x and all comments apply to the 10x ZEN as well. I will likely buy the 10x review sample. At this point, the ZEN and Promaster give me all the optics I need.

Last edited:
it is all good!

I went home early today. A USPS priority box was left behind the garden hose box. Without much guessing, it is the ZEN ED 8x43 I ordered. After reading those comments on this forum, this new ED glass really poked my curiosity. I didn't expect to receive it today as the email update I received earlier said the shipping date was today. Well, this works for me.

First impression: the box that comes with the binoculars is a subdued, but rather sophisticated design. It has an matte black background with simple letter "ZEN by zen-ray" printed on top. The bottom has all the specs. The package comes with the binoculars itself, lens cleaning pen, a monocular.

Binoculars is placed inside a hard case, which has two compartments, the one being used to store the neckstrap. The carrying case looks nice and feels sturdy. I wish it can be fully open, instead of opening up to 90o. Not that it is very important to me, but it might be good to consider for their future improvement. It has a long neckstrap, with fair amount of cushion. It is definitely comfortable to wear for a long time. In a sense, it is better than the neckstrap that comes with my Nikon SLR camera. Upon pulling the binoculars out, I am pretty happy with the overall design. The 3-step eyecups has three distinct steps: down, middle and up. I push my eyes really hard on the eyecups to see if the position will shift. They hold their up positions pretty well. Also, when I twisted the eyecups up and down, I sort of feel that the eyecups are spring-loaded to "lock" them into the position. Below the left eyecup, there are white "ED LENS" engraved in the front and "Phase Coating" in the back. The focus knob is oversized and quite smooth and comfortable to use. I was concerned about this at first. Well, I guess they took care of this. The light gray stripes on the black focus knob are the first kind I have seen. I think i like it. The body of binoculars is long by 42/43mm size standard. But it didn't feel heavy at all. When handheld, the thumb indents are right where they are supposed to be. I haven't weighed the binoculars yet. But I will when I have more time.

I got about half hour or so to play with it. So far, everything seems to check out ok. It is very bright. I was switching between EL8.5x42 and ZEN 8x43 and couldn't make a firm judgement which one is better. The close focus is quite impressive. I was able to focus on the carpet a foot away from my feet. I am about 5'7". So, I guess the close focus is about 5 ft. What really astounds me is how sharp it is. Just using ambient light through the window, I was trying to read the magnetic calendar posted on my refrigerator door at 12 ft distance. Every letter is crisp and sharp. Although it has been praised a lot here, I still didn't expect to see this high quality for a mid 300's.

The AR coating was done very well. I was looking at the objective lens end and try to look at my reflection on the lens. It is really hard to do without tilting the binoculars to a certain angle.

It is just a quick write-up from my limited experience with ZEN binoculars. So far I am very pleased with it. Excellent recommendation! Thx.

I am very glad to see more positive comments in regard to this binocular. With all due respect to the Promaster and Hawke I think the Zen ED has refined the concept further. Is there room for improvement? Why yes, there always is and I think the folks at Zen Ray are willing to listen.

It still continues to amaze me to see these bins put in the same company as the "alphas" in order for comparisons to be made. Are they really that good? Yes, in my opinion they are. I have now had the opportunity to give these binoculars a thorough run-through for the last week or so. Other than Steve's comments about a slightly faster focusing speed I really cannot find any fault with them. Fit and finish is excellent and they seem quite durable for what I have put them through so far.

The image quality is most certainly what sells these. The level of detail they deliver to the eye via their brightness, contrast and lack of color fringing is excellent. I cannot say enough good things about them.

Got mine today. It was dark when I got home, so no experience outside yet. I will say, these are a real pleasure to hold. They fit my medium-large pudgy hands very nicely and the focus wheel on mine was silky-smooth at room temp. The strap was absurdly long, though...I think I'm going to give "bandolier" hold a try this weekend.

The image quality is most certainly what sells these. The level of detail they deliver to the eye via their brightness, contrast and lack of color fringing is excellent. I cannot say enough good things about them.

You are correct. After reading so many good reviews on Promaster, Hawke and ZEN, I know I need a pair. Since I don't have the other two, I won't know how they compare to each other. 426 FOV works for me with very little field curvature. I was sold on the image quality. But I come to like the overall build of this binoculars more after going out for a walk this morning. I mean, I cannot find anything cheap about this binoculars. The finishes on rubber, metal all look high end. It is comfortable to hold it. The neckstrap has plenty of cushion. But it is little too long for my height. I still like to hold the binoculars close to my chest. It is just one minor thing I may say about the package ( i have a shoulder harness to use anyway).

You are correct. After reading so many good reviews on Promaster, Hawke and ZEN, I know I need a pair. Since I don't have the other two, I won't know how they compare to each other. 426 FOV works for me with very little field curvature. I was sold on the image quality. But I come to like the overall build of this binoculars more after going out for a walk this morning. I mean, I cannot find anything cheap about this binoculars. The finishes on rubber, metal all look high end. It is comfortable to hold it. The neckstrap has plenty of cushion. But it is little too long for my height. I still like to hold the binoculars close to my chest. It is just one minor thing I may say about the package ( i have a shoulder harness to use anyway).

Be glad you do not have either of the others. That is almost an impossible choice. About the time I convince myself that the Promaster and its repellent coatings is the way to go, I get to thinking, well there really is no point in not taking advantage of the ZEN wide fov. And so it goes, and goes, and goes.

I've not looked at the Hawke, and right now, I'm not sure I want to. If I do, it will be with the firm intention (yeah, those same intentions that pave the way to perdition) I will not buy one. From Frank and Kevin's comparisons, it appears that there is a bit more edge softness with the Hawke as well as some haloing, or possibly some stray light control issues. So I think it is best to just take their word for it. |:D| At this point I am more than happy with the optics of either.

I actually went with Promaster as they are a long term player in the field. They have had binoculars out at least 5 yrs. Warranty should be good another 5 yrs.

Picked up my 8x Zens this am and even though the weather is not great, took them both out. A few observations, none of which are scientific in the least!!
1. LOVE the focus wheel on the Zen!! So much easier to manipulate than the ELX. Wish it had the ridged texture of the ELX focus wheel or more pronounced ridges - it felt slippery as I was turning it (the actual texture of the rubber, not the fluid turning motion of the wheel).
2. Like the larger thumb indents and the stipling on the side of the Zens. Easier to handle for me & I don't have large hands.
3. Like the overall Zen package (literally) better than the ELX. I prefer the "hard" case of the Zen over the leather case of the ELX. ELX case reminds me of the one my grandfather's bins came in years ago, but his was of much better quality! The ELX case is not field worthy, IMO. Heck, I even liked the box the Zen bins came in!!
4. Had a hard time deciding which bin had the sharper view, changed my mind several times!! Need more "testing".
5. Noticed that with both, the heatwave (ground or car) distortion seems to affect my view in both of these bins much more so than it ever did in my EO Ranger SRT's. Odd, I thought.
6. Could tell immediately that the Zens weighed less than the ELX's and liked the lighter weight, even if it is only a couple of oz. difference.
7. See the edge softness in both bins, but I seem to notice MUCH less in the Zens than I do with the ELX's. The ELX's make me think that there is a smudge on my right eyepiece - drives me nuts (I do notice it less as I look through them, but it is always there)!
8. The Repellamax coating on the PM's is quite nice. Wish the Zens had it as well. Very useful in cool weather.

Last edited:
3. Like the overall Zen package (literally) better than the ELX. I prefer the "hard" case of the Zen over the leather case of the ELX. ELX case reminds me of the one my grandfather's bins came in years ago, but his was of much better quality! The ELX case is not field worthy, IMO. Heck, I even liked the box the Zen bins came in!!

6. Could tell immediately that the Zens weighed less than the ELX's and liked the lighter weight, even if it is only a couple of oz. difference.

7. See the edge softness in both bins, but I seem to notice MUCH less in the Zens than I do with the ELX's. The ELX's make me think that there is a smudge on my right eyepiece - drives me nuts (I do notice it less as I look through them, but it is always there)!

I forgot about the case for the ELX. What were they thinking? It sits in the closet on the top shelf. I got a Pajaro bag that it and a field guide are kept. Much more field worthy.

I presume you see the heat haze more in the EDs than in the SRTs because the sharpness is somewhat better. I presume the ELX and the ZR are similar in this regard.

I doubt you'll see any sharpness difference between the ELX and the ZR. Both are better than the eye.

I guess I'm really not that sensitive to edge softness as I didn't notice much of a difference (the birds I'm interested in are always in the middle of the field ... if my interest changes I move the bin). I think this is one thing that is "person sensitive": it drives some people nuts but hardly bother others.

Kevin, this is the first time I have noticed edge softness in any bin that I have looked through. I experienced a very unpleasant bout of vertigo this past summer and it really changed my vision and seems to have left me with some visual sensitivities. I still don't notice the edge softness with my Rangers oddly enough. I only mentioned it again because I don't notice it as much with the Zens.

Off subject, but do you like your Pajaro bag? I have considered purchasing it (the Grande). Can you load it up nicely? You are the only person I know of that has one. I am curious. I just purchased a bin case from Sportsmans Outdoors Products and was so disappointed - am sending it back.

Last edited:
5. Noticed that with both, the heatwave (ground or car) distortion seems to affect my view in both of these bins much more so than it ever did in my EO Ranger SRT's. Odd, I thought.
You need to bring both out with you. Load them all to a backpack. I have seen the distortion with all my binoculars. If I had two pairs with me, I saw it with both. In some of those situations 8x and 7x will do better than 10x.

Tero, I too have seen it with my Rangers, but it seems more pronounced with the PM's and the ZR's. Could be something else that bothers me more than the average person!!!

Falcondude, my ZR case doesn't have 2 compartments and I think that if you look at yours, you will find that the sides are velcroed together and once the velcro is undone, you are able to completely open the case.

Sounds like me and my Zeiss Conquests. Paid too much for them, so I was tuck two years trying to get them to grow on me. Never did. They were sharp enough but something in the optics bothered me. I preferred the Monarchs overall.

So you have to decide if it is something you will get over in a week or two or never get to like.

I think Kevin has it right about the sharper image of the ProZen (sounds kind of like Prozac, which we may all need) is the cause for the heat mirage factor. Mirage is the one advantage the Nikon Monarch I have has over these. Another thing, and this is why I think it would be a good idea for there to be a 7x model, is that for me at least, there seems less mirage effect at 7x and less. I know that is one of the reasons I like my Swift 7x36.

If a good cleaning doesn't get rid of the smudge effect, I'd test the warranty and send it back. But it sounds like you are going to find favor with the ZEN anyway. Now, they need to put the repellent coatings on the ZEN and replace it with the smooth grip of the Promaster and get rid of those "indents", and use the eye cups on the Zen.

Silly me, I like that Promaster case. Who'd think there was anything worth stealing in that? Now a Parajo bag, that has a steal me written on it. |:d|

Now, they need to put the repellent coatings on the ZEN and replace it with the smooth grip of the Promaster and get rid of those "indents", and use the eye cups on the Zen.

Silly me, I like that Promaster case. Who'd think there was anything worth stealing in that? Now a Parajo bag, that has a steal me written on it. |:d|

I prefer the smooth grip of the Promaster but I love the indents. See what these bin designers have to put up with ;)

To steal Pajaro bag they'ed have to unclip it from me ... that might be an interesting challenge!

I opened up the second 8x43 ZR today and played with the focus action inside. Much better. Not tight at all. I'll be birding with that one this week if the weather improves.

It was very nice yesterday and I birded with the ZR 10x on Whidbey Island so I shoud write up both my birding efforts with the ZR 10x (and played around with a DLS 8x to compare it to some of my bins ... more under another heading).

Pajaro bags deserve a different thread!

Ah Laura, I was waiting to hear that you received your bins and then your subsequent comparison. I look forward to hearing more comments as you have more time to play with each of them. It is times like this that I wish I hadn't gotten rid of either of the others because it would be a great daal of fun to compare them side by side. I envy Kevin that right now.

Some posts back, mentioned replacing the objective covers on the Promaster. What I used is is the Quake Industries Bushwacker. I got mine from Eagle Optics. Similae covers sold by Butler Creek work as well. The problem with these nes ED binoculars is the very short end of the objective barrel protruding beyond the fron hinge. When I got back to my pickup after the first time out with the new Promaster, one was gone. ZEN has adressed this issue a little by using a tethered cover whose attachment band is a lot narrower than the Promaster. But I have no doubt these will not stay very well. So the Quake Bushwcker is shown on the Promaster in the attached. It will need some trimming to fit around the hinge frame, the trimming is shown on another photo. These work quite well and stay put. They are also easy enough to attach and detach.

Attachments

• DSC00245_0069_edited-1.jpg
    DSC00245_0069_edited-1.jpg
    117.5 KB · Views: 139
  • DSC00241_0080_edited-1 - Copy.jpg
    DSC00241_0080_edited-1 - Copy.jpg
    128 KB · Views: 145
Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back