Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Magnifying the passion for nature. Zeiss Victory Harpia 95. New!

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Dowles Brook, Wyre Forest

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 44 votes, 4.84 average.
Old Sunday 28th May 2017, 20:59   #526
xFritzx
Green Birder

Had quite a few Spot Fly's and a very confiding Wood Warbler yesterday. I don't visit this site a lot, but it always delivers!
Old Tuesday 20th June 2017, 19:21   #527
Isaac2

Still woodcock patrolling the sky over wyre ,not much else ,but first glow worms of the year.
Old Tuesday 20th June 2017, 22:52   #528
Dick-E-Dipper

Whereabouts in the Wyre is the best place to see, hopefully, the Woodcocks. Presumably after 9.00pm?
Always a pleasant place to visit

Richard
Old Thursday 22nd June 2017, 21:35   #529
Isaac2

Woodcock over path above old railway track half way between farm and car park ,also north end ,Far forest,use footpath and follow Dowles brook down stream . Time of sightings 10pm--->.
Old Friday 23rd June 2017, 13:12   #530
Dick-E-Dipper

Many thanks for the above info, will give it a try now cooler

Richard
Old Saturday 1st July 2017, 16:59   #531
JoshT01

Nice first visit to the area this afternoon. A brief visit with not much birding managed to produce 2/3 Spotted flycatchers, as well as a Kingfisher, and Garden Warblers along the old railway line. I'll have to return soon and put in a bit more time.
Old Monday 4th September 2017, 15:34   #532
Isaac2

morning visit to wyre 2 vocal dippers and 2 grey wagtails along with 5 species of tit along dowles brook ,dry mill lane ---coopers mill. 3 spotted flycatchers in dead tree above and to right of farm.
Old Wednesday 13th September 2017, 16:33   #533
Dick-E-Dipper

Visit this morning yielded absolutely nothing. The only unexpected sighting was of a MINK in the river, between the car park & the Mill.

Dipped on the Dippers!

Richard
Old Sunday 29th April 2018, 19:08   #534
DaveJones

Wood Warbler and Hobby late afternoon.
Old Sunday 29th April 2018, 19:59   #535
Reader

I tried posting to this thread on the 18th April but it said that as the last reply was over 217 days old the thread could no longer accept replies. Obviously that was a glitch.

On the 18th April it went well. All target birds seen, bar the reported pair of Mandarins that had been seen along the brook.

The Redstart was quite hard to find. Not at the usual place in the paddock area but further along the track by the four finger post. Even here I had to sit on the bench for nearly an hour before I first heard, then saw one.

Pied Fly's and Tree Pipits in the usual place plus passed the bridge to the four finger post where both species were quite prominent as well. A few Wood Warblers were seen and heard along the length of the track from just passed the Dry Mill Lane car park and also along the brook.

One Dipper was eventually found near Coopers Mill but no Mandarins could be found.

It had been a warm day on that day and was a pleasure to walk my dog around the wood. I'm just surprised that no one has been posting to this thread until now as it is very productive there and well worth visiting.
Old Monday 30th April 2018, 19:37   #536
IvanS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reader View Post
I tried posting to this thread on the 18th April but it said that as the last reply was over 217 days old the thread could no longer accept replies. Obviously that was a glitch.

On the 18th April it went well. All target birds seen, bar the reported pair of Mandarins that had been seen along the brook.

The Redstart was quite hard to find. Not at the usual place in the paddock area but further along the track by the four finger post. Even here I had to sit on the bench for nearly an hour before I first heard, then saw one.

Pied Fly's and Tree Pipits in the usual place plus passed the bridge to the four finger post where both species were quite prominent as well. A few Wood Warblers were seen and heard along the length of the track from just passed the Dry Mill Lane car park and also along the brook.

One Dipper was eventually found near Coopers Mill but no Mandarins could be found.

It had been a warm day on that day and was a pleasure to walk my dog around the wood. I'm just surprised that no one has been posting to this thread until now as it is very productive there and well worth visiting.
we went yesterday - the cool conditions probably accounted for the absence of pied flys and redstarts, although one was spotted before we arrived at the spot, but there were pushing double figures of wood warblers and some very vocal tree pipits
Old Tuesday 1st May 2018, 23:41   #537
DaveJones

Thanks to the tripod guys that got nice pics of Pied Fly... Me?... None lol.

Woodie,'s seem common this year, Tree Pips too... Got pics of both. Need a bridge camera... the one guys butterfly pics were fantastic
Old Sunday 6th May 2018, 12:22   #538
Rob_S

This morning:

Wood Warbler singing in various places along the railway track, particularly on the Dowles Brook side, and also in the trees along the brook.
Tree Pipits doing classic Tree Pipit treetop flights, and gathering nesting material.
Several Garden Warbler, including a very obliging individual which sang loudly from the same tree as a Tree Pipit for a good 30 seconds.
M + F Pied Flycatcher in the woods between Knowles Mill and the farm.
M + F Mandarin on Dowles Brook just downstream of Knowles Mill.

Redstart proved much harder to find. The only one I located flew off just as I got the bins on it.
Old Sunday 6th May 2018, 21:50   #539
Rob_S

Species behaviour question - do Garden Warblers catch insects in the same way as Spotted Flychatchers i.e. short flights from a prominent perch, to which they return afterwards?

Thinking back on what I saw today, and realising that I'd put this bird down as Garden Warbler simply because it was along a stretch of the old railway line where there were a number of Garden Warbler, but now not sure.
Old Sunday 6th May 2018, 22:45   #540
Reader

You do get Spot Fly's there as well. Are you sure it wasn't a Spot Fly?
Old Monday 7th May 2018, 07:10   #541
Rob_S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reader View Post
You do get Spot Fly's there as well. Are you sure it wasn't a Spot Fly?
No, far from it, but I haven't seen anyone else reporting Spotted Flycatchers as having arrived yet and I'm still not confident on calling 'new' species ahead of the vastly more experienced folks who also post here. Were there any Spotted Flycatcher reports yesterday?

Looking at photos of both species online, I was viewing the bird from behind and so would have missed any steaking on the breast, so I'm going purely on the similarity in size and appearance from that angle. I did see at least one Garden Warbler singing from a similarly prominent position yesterday, but the fly-catching behaviour loooked more like what I've seen from Spotted Flycatchers in the past.
Old Monday 7th May 2018, 07:21   #542
Rob_S

To answer my own question - just checked Twitter - lots of reports of Spotted Flycatchers from mid-Wales, Gloucs etc yesterday, and within the last hour a report of Spotted Flycatcher in the Wyre Forest this morning.
Old Monday 7th May 2018, 14:38   #543
keithr
Relapsus resurgam

Spotted flycatcher tend to be more upright than normal warblers and I have seen lots of warblers...even Robins catching flies like Flycatchers.
Old Monday 7th May 2018, 14:41   #544
Rob_S

Quote:
Originally Posted by keithr View Post
Spotted flycatcher tend to be more upright than normal warblers and I have seen lots of warblers...even Robins catching flies like Flycatchers.
Thanks Keith. I'll have to have a potter back over there to see if I can track down a Spotted Flycatcher in a couple of weeks.
Old Monday 7th May 2018, 16:42   #545
Isaac2

Midday onwards and hot, brimstones on the wing at least a dozen seen. Wood warblers in the Dowles brook valley mostly on the Worcestershire side . A family of dippers at the next bridge upstream of coopers mill as were grey wagtails. Redstart males singing west and south east of farm as were tree pipits . Male pied fly west of farm visiting nest-box. Garden warbler south of farm. Cuckoo could be heard most of the afternoon but never close.
Old Monday 7th May 2018, 16:51   #546
jackied
Jax

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob_S View Post
No, far from it, but I haven't seen anyone else reporting Spotted Flycatchers as having arrived yet and I'm still not confident on calling 'new' species ahead of the vastly more experienced folks who also post here. Were there any Spotted Flycatcher reports yesterday?

Looking at photos of both species online, I was viewing the bird from behind and so would have missed any steaking on the breast, so I'm going purely on the similarity in size and appearance from that angle. I did see at least one Garden Warbler singing from a similarly prominent position yesterday, but the fly-catching behaviour loooked more like what I've seen from Spotted Flycatchers in the past.
I saw Spotted Flycatcher on Saturday in the forest, so yes they have arrived.

BF Supporter 2011 2012 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Monday 7th May 2018, 18:33   #547
Rob_S

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackied View Post
I saw Spotted Flycatcher on Saturday in the forest, so yes they have arrived.
Thank you for the update.
Old Tuesday 8th May 2018, 21:18   #548
Spoonbill Finder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaac2 View Post
Midday onwards and hot, brimstones on the wing at least a dozen seen. Wood warblers in the Dowles brook valley mostly on the Worcestershire side . A family of dippers at the next bridge upstream of coopers mill as were grey wagtails. Redstart males singing west and south east of farm as were tree pipits . Male pied fly west of farm visiting nest-box. Garden warbler south of farm. Cuckoo could be heard most of the afternoon but never close.
Nice to bump into you again in the Wyre yesterday and thanks for pointing me towards the Dipper. Now I know who Jim Wright who covers Grimley in the Patchwork Challenge is!

Andy P
Old Thursday 10th May 2018, 19:37   #549
Dick-E-Dipper

A pleasant trip around Dowles Brook Wyre Valley. At last saw 1 Dipper but no sign of young, presumably due to tree felling/fence erecting right next to the bridge. Pied Flycatcher (Male) seen as well as Wood Warblers & Garden Warblers. A Marsh Tit was seen (the first I`ve seen in the last few years). Unfortunately no Redstarts or Tree Pipits seen or heard. The `Pipit` field being closed due to "rare breeding species" A Cuckoo was also heard. but distant.

On the insect/butterfly side, my first Pearl Bordered Fritillary of the year as well as this stunning Green Tiger Beetle .
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	New_1_DSCF7290.JPG lghtd.JPG
Views:	28
Size:	401.2 KB
ID:	662120  

Last edited by Dick-E-Dipper : Thursday 10th May 2018 at 19:39. Reason: ADD
Old Wednesday 16th May 2018, 16:45   #550
DaveJones

Short afternoon stroll. Very quiet, with few birds singing making it a little hard finding birds amongst the leaf cover. A pair of Pied Fly's were eventually found, several Wood Warblers and a Garden Warbler amongst the more commoner fair.
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: