Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Magnifying the passion for nature. Zeiss Victory Harpia 95. New!

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Grimley and Holt

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 75 votes, 4.92 average.
Old Sunday 26th August 2012, 11:26   #101
richtweedy

Quick update from yesterday... in addition to the noteworthy birds Gladys mentions and those there Friday, a black-tailed godwit appeared briefly at the northern-most pool. Also 4 great-crested grebes... as I'm new to the site I'm assuming they're regular here?
Old Sunday 26th August 2012, 18:58   #102
Bob O.

Quick visit.

Just back from a quick trip to Grimley and saw the following.
1 Great White Egret
3 Little Egret's
2 Common Tern's
1 Gadwall
4 GC Grebe's
Coot
Mallard
Mute Swan
BH Gull
Moorhen
Tufted Duck
Old Sunday 26th August 2012, 21:15   #103
Emma

Enjoyed a good visit to Grimley today, managed to have super views of the Great White Egret both in flight and feeding with 7 Grey Heron and 2 Little Egret. At one point the GWE landed in the top of a tree and looked most ungainly! Also seen late morning were 2 Hobbies hunting over the pools, at one point one was being mobbed by a Crow which soon gave up! Other notable sightings included Common Tern, GC Grebe, Little Grebe (+ 1 chick), F Tufted Duck (+ 3 chicks), Cormorant, 21 Mute Swan, Green Woodpecker, Sand Martin, Swallow, a Chiffchaff was heard and 4 x Buzzards were circling on the thermals. Damselfly (sp), Hawker (Sp) and Common Darter were also seen. Managed a record pic of all 3 Heron species together, not the best but a nice record!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1080692.JPG
Views:	106
Size:	430.1 KB
ID:	401604  Click image for larger version

Name:	P1080709.JPG
Views:	104
Size:	237.0 KB
ID:	401607  
Old Monday 27th August 2012, 12:38   #104
richtweedy

Little Grebe fest

Another trip to Grimley this morning... if it's going to be my local patch then I might as well get to know it! Found myself counting little grebes - not the easiest birds to count as they have this habit of diving from view - on one sweep though I counted 7 adults and 3 juveniles, rather more than I was expecting.

Tried to cross the causeway at the south end but chickened out when I could no longer see the mud below the water... Any ideas about whether the water levels are likely to remain this high?

Emma, nice GWE pic - better than mine any way!
Old Monday 27th August 2012, 12:44   #105
Stone Snapper
Warrener till i snuff it

can anyone tell me if the gwe is still thereplease im getting mixed messages. regards vern
Old Monday 27th August 2012, 13:47   #106
midlands birder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingfisher-kid View Post
can anyone tell me if the gwe is still thereplease im getting mixed messages. regards vern
Yes, but on and off
MB
Old Monday 27th August 2012, 21:21   #107
Emma

Quote:
Originally Posted by richtweedy View Post
Another trip to Grimley this morning... if it's going to be my local patch then I might as well get to know it! Found myself counting little grebes - not the easiest birds to count as they have this habit of diving from view - on one sweep though I counted 7 adults and 3 juveniles, rather more than I was expecting.

Tried to cross the causeway at the south end but chickened out when I could no longer see the mud below the water... Any ideas about whether the water levels are likely to remain this high?

Emma, nice GWE pic - better than mine any way!
Thank you for your kind comment Richard, I think it is pot luck as to how close the bird is to where you are actually standing! Your 3 in one frame is a super pic...and you can see the Little Egret clearly in yours! You are really lucky to have Grimley as your local patch, I will look forward to reading about your sightings etc! Enjoy Grimley!
Old Tuesday 28th August 2012, 09:28   #108
GoldenI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emma View Post
Thank you for your kind comment Richard, I think it is pot luck as to how close the bird is to where you are actually standing! Your 3 in one frame is a super pic...and you can see the Little Egret clearly in yours! You are really lucky to have Grimley as your local patch, I will look forward to reading about your sightings etc! Enjoy Grimley!
couldnt agree more. this place has been exceptional this year and has knocked spots off all other sites locally. and autumn is only just beginning.
Old Tuesday 28th August 2012, 17:36   #109
richtweedy

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenI View Post
couldnt agree more. this place has been exceptional this year and has knocked spots off all other sites locally. and autumn is only just beginning.
Thanks Emma and GoldenI, I'm looking forward to the autumn season - hopefully the sightings this year should encourage quite a few people in the area to keep an eye on it, in addition to those who already do. I have heard that Grimley is 'grossly underwatched' so hopefully that'll change.
Old Wednesday 29th August 2012, 18:57   #110
geoffw1946

The Great White Egret was showing well this afternoon, it was good to see the size difference as it stood by both Grey Heron and Little Egret. There were 3 Little Egret but I was disappointed no waders were seen.
Geoff
Old Thursday 30th August 2012, 09:47   #111
Sy V

Terry H has confirmed its continued presence this morning with a couple of Little Egrets and a Black-tailed Godwit.

My Gallery - (Not so) Regularly Updated

BF Supporter 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Thursday 30th August 2012, 16:31   #112
midlands birder

Jus back from a check of the Grimley area, and can confirm that the GREAT-WHITE EGRET was still present today, along with 3 Little Egret. At one point, i had all 4 egrets in the scope together.
It was also very good for raptors, a 1st summer HOBBY (tinged brown tail and wing feathers) gave awsome views throguh the scope at the edge of the wood on the west side.
A juvenile PEREGRINE similarly gave awsome flight views as it hunted the north end, chasing BHG's and eventualy, a Black-tailed godwit, whcih it got very close to, however the Godwit flew off north, following another Blackwit, which had flew north a few minuites earlier after being flushed by a dog walker with their dog off a lead .
The very same dog walker flushed the Great Egret. 2 Shelduck were an unusual sight at this time of year and 2 Common Tern flew in briefly.

We then checked Waggon Wheel lane pits and flood, where there was nothing, but while walking down Waggon Wheel lane, i saw the Great Egret flush of the riverbank a couple of fields up, and this then flew back to Camp Pits.
The small marshy pool on the riverbank here looked amazing for a Crake! 3 Gadwall were on this small pool and a Green Sandpiper was on the river.
Moving back to Camp pits, a Common Sandpiper was heard and the Great Egret was again present, on the flooded middle section.

Name:	DSCN5010.JPG
Views:	96
Size:	173.1 KB
ID:	402170 Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN5032.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	180.9 KB
ID:	402171 Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN5058.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	163.4 KB
ID:	402173 Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN5081.JPG
Views:	89
Size:	114.9 KB
ID:	402176

MB

Last edited by midlands birder : Thursday 30th August 2012 at 16:33.
Old Monday 3rd September 2012, 09:00   #113
richtweedy

Lovely morning at Grimley Camp Lane Pools. Two snipe at the north end were the main highlight, along with the black-tailed godwit still, five lapwings and the two shelduck. A number of gadwall (8-10) were concentrated at the northern end. No sign of the GWE to 9:30.

Did a sweep for little grebe juveniles a couple of days ago and found 8. Seems like a very healthy species here!
Old Thursday 6th September 2012, 11:37   #114
richtweedy

Great meeting Mike Bourne at Grimley this morning. A couple of shovelers have arrived recently; the godwit is still there as are the snipe, the lapwings, the single wigeon and the two shelducks. Other than that, very much as before (and no GWE!).
Old Sunday 9th September 2012, 20:01   #115
Brian Stretch

Having spent 8 hours at Grimley today, I recorded a total of 76 species.

The best birds included Tree Pipit, Spotted Flycatcher, Yellow Wagtail, 3 Little Egrets, Black-tailed Godwit and 2 late Swifts.

Had it been a proper all-dayer with more than just me doing it, then 85 would have been easily achievable as resident species including Chaffinch, Song Thrush, Treecreeper, Coal Tit, Pheasant, Barn, Little and Tawny Owls went undetected. With more eyes and ears I'm fairly sure Willow Warbler, Redstart, Wheatear, Curlew and Peregrine would have been recorded too and that's before any real surprises so 90 could have been a realistic figure for the day.

Brian
Old Sunday 9th September 2012, 20:07   #116
Phil Andrews
It's only Rock and Roller but I like it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Stretch View Post

The best birds included Tree Pipit, Spotted Flycatcher, Yellow Wagtail, 3 Little Egrets, Black-tailed Godwit and 2 late Swifts.

Had it been a proper all-dayer with more than just me doing it, then 85 would have been easily achievable as resident species including Chaffinch, Song Thrush, Treecreeper, Coal Tit, Pheasant, Barn, Little and Tawny Owls went undetected. With more eyes and ears I'm fairly sure Willow Warbler, Redstart, Wheatear, Curlew and Peregrine would have been recorded too and that's before any real surprises so 90 could have been a realistic figure for the day.

Brian
Nice one Brian - just shows what can be unearthed if you grill a local patch. Dont think we will let you play with Upton, Belvide, Marsh Lane and Middleton next year on the All-Dayers if these are the sort of numbers you're producing!!
Old Sunday 9th September 2012, 20:15   #117
woodwolf

Quote:

Brian
Old Monday 10th September 2012, 06:50   #118
Claudy Banks

Wheatear at Grimley 8/9/2012, pic taken by double gates.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	wheatear grimley.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	107.4 KB
ID:	404120  
Old Wednesday 12th September 2012, 14:17   #119
woodwolf

Sandwich Tern reported at Wagon Wheel lane pits this afternoon..any updates or info appreciated
Old Thursday 27th September 2012, 16:46   #120
geoffw1946

My first visit since 29th August and I was surprised to find that the Great White Egret was still at the southern end of Camp Lane Pool, also there were 4 Little Egret, 2 Shelduck, 1 Wigeon, 1 Jack Snipe, 5 Snipe and a Raven. At the Camp Inn a Nuthatch was seen.
Geoff
Old Thursday 27th September 2012, 19:16   #121
Brian Stretch

Hi Geoff,

The GWE returned to Grimley yesterday evening. This was the first time it had been seen since Sept 2nd. Where it had been in the intervening period is a mystery although given its reappearance coincided with the flooding of the Severn Valley, it's tempting to speculate it had been somewhere along the river.

The eclipse drake Garganey was also still present early this morning although unfortunately there was no reappearance of yesterday evenings Marsh Harrier that had been feeding on a Mute Swan carcass. Also 2 Ringed Plover went through early this morning.

Other notable sightings from the past week or so have included Red Kite, Ruff, 2 Pintail, Golden Plover and 2 Green Sandpipers while an impressive 800+ House Martins were feeding over Camp Lane Pits on Tuesday evening along with smaller numbers of Sand Martins and Swallows. Also the escaped Ross's Goose (previously seen at Upton Warren) has been with the Canadas since Sunday.

Brian
Old Thursday 27th September 2012, 19:24   #122
Phil Andrews

Quote:
Other notable sightings from the past week or so have included Red Kite, Ruff, 2 Pintail, Golden Plover and 2 Green Sandpipers while an impressive 800+ House Martins were feeding over Camp Lane Pits on Tuesday evening along with smaller numbers of Sand Martins and Swallows. Also the escaped Ross's Goose (previously seen at Upton Warren) has been with the Canadas since Sunday.

Brian
Upton Warren Life List: 197 (latest: Glossy Ibis)
British Life List: 486 (latest: Moltoni's Warbler)
Twitter: @pmandrews1973
Old Thursday 27th September 2012, 19:27   #123
Brian Stretch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Andrews View Post
Thats one well-travelled Ross's Goose given it was also at Upton last year and in the Avon Valley early in 2012
I hope those I've seen in Norfolk have travelled further than that

Brian
Old Thursday 27th September 2012, 19:30   #124
Phil Andrews

Quote:
I hope those I've seen in Norfolk have travelled further than that

Brian
Upton Warren Life List: 197 (latest: Glossy Ibis)
British Life List: 486 (latest: Moltoni's Warbler)
Twitter: @pmandrews1973
Old Sunday 30th September 2012, 18:06   #125
toadoftoadhall

enjoyed the walk around today, managed to see one L. Egret. There was more than one white goose with the Canadas, is there more than one Ross's goose around?
Also managed to see a Raven too, unusual for me. It was huge.
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: