Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Magnifying the passion for nature. Zeiss Victory Harpia 95. New!

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Cofton Reservoir

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.
Old Friday 23rd August 2013, 13:22   #26
Ravenwing

The Swan Family is back !!!

As I reported a few weeks ago there was a Mute Swan family on the reservoir but they disappeared one day. Eventual information was that the adults had walked the cygnets to small pool near Cofton Hall. They were seen there last week then suddenly earlier this week the swans were back on Cofton Reservoir with, still, five now large cygnets. They now seem very relaxed back in their original surroundings and I imagine that they have returned to give the cygnets space to learn to fly. I am wondering how common it is for swans to take their young from one water to another and back again?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Swans.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	416.2 KB
ID:	459474  
Old Saturday 24th August 2013, 17:20   #27
Ravenwing

Goose Invasion but one cygnet down

The reservoir was invaded today by just under 200 Canada Geese. The same thing has happened the past couple of years although they are a few weeks early this year.
Sadly over-night we have gone from five cygnets to four. I can only imagine a fox or possibly a dog being responsible :-(
Old Tuesday 3rd September 2013, 19:27   #28
Ravenwing

Invasion of the Canada Geese

Over 200 Canada Geese arrived on the reservoir between 6 and 7pm. Coots dived for cover, Swans retreated to the far end and Mallards seemed oblivious to the whole episode. Geese departed again at 7.30 on a flight path taking them over our garden and house !
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	CGs.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	657.0 KB
ID:	461674  
Old Tuesday 17th September 2013, 21:25   #29
keithr
Relapsus resurgam

Hi Alex....a couple of quick visits in the last few weeks and it was the water that caught my eye......
The lake was low and nothing running down the (dry) steps but I noticed water in the channel at the bottom of the slope....scrambled down and saw it was coming out of the lake.So back to the top and theres a small sluice.
All this you will know of course.....but I didn't so drove around to the Cofton Richards field to see if the water was high there and it was so i assume they were filling Upper Bittell.
I had been up on the causeway the day before and noticed it was really high then.
I am assuming this is what was happening.....or maybe not.....

On another subject I saw this family on the Mill Shrub pond last week ...are they yours ?

Keith
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Canon 193 018.jpg low.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	345.6 KB
ID:	464071  
Old Wednesday 18th September 2013, 07:23   #30
Ravenwing

Quote:
Originally Posted by keithr View Post
Hi Alex....a couple of quick visits in the last few weeks and it was the water that caught my eye......
The lake was low and nothing running down the (dry) steps but I noticed water in the channel at the bottom of the slope....scrambled down and saw it was coming out of the lake.So back to the top and theres a small sluice.
All this you will know of course.....but I didn't so drove around to the Cofton Richards field to see if the water was high there and it was so i assume they were filling Upper Bittell.
I had been up on the causeway the day before and noticed it was really high then.
I am assuming this is what was happening.....or maybe not.....

On another subject I saw this family on the Mill Shrub pond last week ...are they yours ?

Keith
Keith, they have been taking water out of the reservoir for over a week. My understanding is that they can take up to 1 metre at a time to top up canals etc. Hopefully the recent rain will push levels back up. One benefit of the lower levels is that we actually have a shore-line in places now.
That is not our swan family. Sadly they have lost 2 cygnets now, the second one vanished one night last week. As there are no suitable islands they spend the night on the north shore and I suspect that dogs may be responsible for the losses.
Gulls have started returning to the reservoir in the past week, we have a roost of up to 200 in the winter but they go in the summer so I assume that there are no suitable nesting spots here, Alex
Old Thursday 19th September 2013, 14:08   #31
Matt Griffiths
ad. ♂ Blackcap

Sounds like you might have a chance of finding a wader, especially if water levels at Bittell are rising? Worcestershire's first Curlew Sandpiper record came from Cofton.
Matt
Old Monday 23rd September 2013, 12:52   #32
Ravenwing

Return of the Goose

Smaller flock of Canada's this weekend but I think a different batch from a couple of weeks ago. In with them was a hybrid Greylag / Canada ? of some sort.
Looking back at photos, the same bird was here for a few days exactly a year ago so interesting to note the return.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Geese 1.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	592.2 KB
ID:	465026  Click image for larger version

Name:	Geese2.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	434.7 KB
ID:	465027  
Old Tuesday 24th September 2013, 17:13   #33
Ravenwing

Three Ducks

Two interesting Mallard Hybrids (the second looks black but is basically dark green) and a female Tufty with, to me, far more white on the face than typical, on the reservoir this afternoon. Still three cygnets in the Swan family.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Mallard 13 sept 1 s.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	283.4 KB
ID:	465207  Click image for larger version

Name:	Mallard 13 sept 2 s.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	192.7 KB
ID:	465208  Click image for larger version

Name:	Tufted Duck 13 sep 1.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	304.2 KB
ID:	465209  
Old Friday 25th October 2013, 10:07   #34
Ravenwing

BHGs

I went for a walk round the reservoir yesterday afternoon. If anyone has lost over a hundred Black-headed Gulls then I have found them ! A very noisy lot! I had a good look but I couldn't find anything unusual amongst them. The swan family now has only 2 cygnets but they are pretty much fully grown. Only one Mallard on the water but the usual numbers of Coot, Moorhen and GCG. A small flock of about 20 Canada Geese flew in for about 5 minutes then went on their way. Not much activity in the trees around the reservoir just the usual common species although I did see one Nuthatch, Alex
Old Saturday 14th December 2013, 14:45   #35
Ravenwing

Very quite but a very pretty hybrid duck

Things are very quiet on and around the reservoir. Only birds seen on the water were the usual Moorhen, Coots and Mallards plus 6 Tuftys, 1 Little Grebe and about 20 BHGs. Also seen was this very pretty duck, I haven't seen one quite like it before.
Around the lake apart from the usual suspects there were a few Fieldfare and a flock of about 2 dozen Long-tailed Tits accompanied by a couple of Goldcrest.
Surprising there have been no GCGs on the water for about a month now which is very unusual as they are normally a daily occurrence.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	duck s.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	473.2 KB
ID:	476301  
Old Saturday 14th December 2013, 15:22   #36
keithr
Relapsus resurgam

Hi Alex.....the Grebes - Great Crested and Little are being reported absent at a lot of places notably at Upton....On my last visits to Lower and Upper Bittell there have been increasing numbers of Great Cresteds but not been for about 4-5 days.

The beautiful Mallard you have could be the same one I have been seeing at the fish ponds at Bittell.

Keith

Pics..is this your Mallard....
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Canon 216 029 A.jpg low.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	405.0 KB
ID:	476314  Click image for larger version

Name:	Canon 216 034.jpg low.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	565.1 KB
ID:	476315  
Old Saturday 14th December 2013, 15:42   #37
Ravenwing

Keith,
It looks very similar so probably the same bird. I think there is a fair bit of commuting between the Bittell ponds and Cofton Reservoir. particularly by ducks and Canada Geese.
On the "missing birds" front I haven't set eyes on a Siskin or a Redpoll around Cofton so far this winter. Alex
Old Tuesday 17th December 2013, 19:54   #38
Ravenwing

Tree Creepers

Between the bottom of our garden and the reservoir we saw five Treecreepers on two adjacent trees at lunch time today. I have never seen more than two of them at any one time around the reservoir before today.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Treecreeper 13 dec 4 s.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	295.8 KB
ID:	476688  
Old Friday 20th December 2013, 17:50   #39
Ravenwing

Return of the CGC

First GCG seen on the reservoir today for over 4 weeks. Otherwise very quiet as there was tree cutting going on.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	GCG.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	330.5 KB
ID:	476931  
Old Thursday 20th March 2014, 16:13   #40
Ravenwing

First Cofton report for a while. Nothing very exciting but the same pair of Mute Swans that bred here last year are back, a pair of GCGs have a nest, there are at least 3 Little Grebes present, 15 Tufties, several pairs of Coot and Moorhen, a few Mallard and a roving bunch of BHGs roosting here at night with around 3 LBBGs. Off of the water there are still Siskin and Redpoll to be seen and Goldcrest are in several locations, Alex
Old Thursday 21st December 2017, 20:26   #41
keithr
Relapsus resurgam

Bump...
Old Thursday 21st December 2017, 20:56   #42
JoshT01

Female Goldeneye on the Resa at 3:50pm today.
Old Friday 22nd December 2017, 09:04   #43
JoshT01

Reports of 2 Goldeneye (f) this morning. I went to check this morning but failed to see them due to the rising mist. Nuthatch, Song Thrush and 2 Bullfinches (1m+1f) along the pathway. Stock Dove heard, and could just make out a Single Cormaront on the water.
Old Saturday 23rd December 2017, 10:57   #44
JoshT01

No sign of any Goldeneye this morn. 5 Tufties, 4 Little Grebes, 1 GC Grebe and a Grey Wagtail on the overflow.
Old Saturday 23rd December 2017, 11:39   #45
keithr
Relapsus resurgam

I am sure that there are more Little Grebes around the last few years....seemed a few years ago I could not seen one anywhere...
Old Saturday 23rd December 2017, 13:17   #46
JoshT01

4 Cormaronts at 2pm. Little Grebes seem to like the lake here, interestingly I don’t see too many around Bittell.
Old Saturday 23rd December 2017, 15:02   #47
keithr
Relapsus resurgam

There are always some Little Grebe around the edges of Lower where we viewed the waders from in the spring......

popped in here around 3.30 had the Tufteds...a GCGrebe and a flock of BH Gulls but the light is always a problem as was the biting wind.
Old Saturday 23rd December 2017, 18:42   #48
JoshT01

I’ve neglected the area in the past, but with it being so close I’ll be checking as frequently as possible from now on. Most notable species I’ve seen are Goldeneye and Mandarin. Always worth checking though, heard from reliable birders of Long-Tailed Duck, with Ring Ouzel, Whinchat and Wheatear seen in the Paddocks. Surrounding Hedgerows look very promising for Redstart. Siskin and Lesser Redpoll in the area recently as I’ve had them in the garden.
Old Sunday 24th December 2017, 09:15   #49
Rob_S

Is there any way of accessing the reservoir beyond the footpath from Chestnut Drive? I've only been once but I didn't bother going back as there didn't seem to be much around and the view from the footpath wasn't great.

When you refer to the paddocks, do you mean the fields immediately to the south heading towards Bittell?
Old Sunday 24th December 2017, 09:51   #50
JoshT01

Full access to the Reservoir is restricted to those whos houses back onto it and those who have purchased shares. Ive been round a few times but I dont have access to it, so view from footpaths as do most.

As for the paddocks, just follow the path up the hill and peer through the gap in the hedge about half way up.
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: