Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Zeiss - Always on the lookout for something special – Shop now

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Great Grey Shrike

Old Monday 2nd November 2015, 14:40   #1
EVESHAM BIRDER

Great Grey Shrike

Had a day off today so went out birding this morning and found for me a first, my first Great Grey Shrike at John Bennett Nature Reserve near Pershore. Even managed to digiscoope it too.Have there been many records in Worcestershire?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20151102_101953[1].jpg
Views:	139
Size:	31.0 KB
ID:	563276  
Old Monday 2nd November 2015, 16:56   #2
Woodchat
Cogito ergo sum

Quote:
Originally Posted by EVESHAM BIRDER View Post
Had a day off today so went out birding this morning and found for me a first, my first Great Grey Shrike at John Bennett Nature Reserve near Pershore. Even managed to digiscoope it too.Have there been many records in Worcestershire?
Always a quality bird wherever you see them. GGS is a scarce bird in Worcestershire - probably just about annual but I'm sure there have been blank years. The Bredon Hill / Pershore general area has hosted them before - I have seen a couple of them in the Defford / Wadborough area in previous winters.
Old Monday 2nd November 2015, 19:02   #3
EVESHAM BIRDER

Thanks's Woodchat for the reply, I'm newish to birding so any reply is greatly received.
Old Monday 2nd November 2015, 21:22   #4
dantheman
Bah humbug

Birdguides indicates 18 from the last 15 years; a few may relate to the same bird moving around, and yes not recorded in 2001, 2002, 2004, 2009 and 2012.

Only 1 reported from 2015; 2nd November. Nice one!

(One of the reports from 2014 - "one reported on a lamp post on M5 central reservation just south of Junction 5 today". Always possible of course ... but )

Last edited by dantheman : Monday 2nd November 2015 at 21:25.
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: