• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Seawatch Down-under (1 Viewer)

leovb

Today I went on a Pelagic in Kaikoura New Zealand. This gave me the following bird-species;

Wandering Albatross (Antipodean and Gibson)
Northern Royal Albatross
White-capped Mollymawk
Salvin's Mollymawk
Northern Giant Petrel
Southern Giant Petrel
Cape Pigeon
Buller's Shearwater
Flesh-footed Shearwater
Hutton's Shearwater
Sooty Shearwater
Westland Petrel
White-chinned Petrel
Arctic Skua
Little Blue Penguin
Spotted Shag
Little Pied Shag
Pied Shag
Australasian Gannet
White-fronted Tern
Black-fronted Tern
Red-billed Gull
Black-billed Gull
Black-backed Gull
Variable Oystercatcher

Besides that Sperm-whales, Dusky Dolphins and NZ Fur-seals.

Cheers,
Leo

Some wonderful birds there, congratulations. A pelagic off New Zealand has to be the dream for many birders.
cheers
Andy

leovb said:
Today I went on a Pelagic in Kaikoura New Zealand. This gave me the following bird-species;

Wandering Albatross (Antipodean and Gibson)
Northern Royal Albatross
White-capped Mollymawk
Salvin's Mollymawk
Northern Giant Petrel
Southern Giant Petrel
Cape Pigeon
Buller's Shearwater
Flesh-footed Shearwater
Hutton's Shearwater
Sooty Shearwater
Westland Petrel
White-chinned Petrel
Arctic Skua
Little Blue Penguin
Spotted Shag
Little Pied Shag
Pied Shag
Australasian Gannet
White-fronted Tern
Black-fronted Tern
Red-billed Gull
Black-billed Gull
Black-backed Gull
Variable Oystercatcher

Besides that Sperm-whales, Dusky Dolphins and NZ Fur-seals.

Cheers,
Leo
Hi Leo
Any tips about booking a pelagic in Kaikoura? Did you go with ocean wings?
I have a sneaky feeling I might find myself there with my wife and daughter on the way to Australia in August. How long would you recommend as a stop over and what weather can I expect at that time.
Cheers
John

Kaikoura

jdbirdman said:
Hi Leo
Any tips about booking a pelagic in Kaikoura? Did you go with ocean wings?
I have a sneaky feeling I might find myself there with my wife and daughter on the way to Australia in August. How long would you recommend as a stop over and what weather can I expect at that time.
Cheers
John

Hi John,

You don't need to book ahead for the Kaikoura-pelagic. It goes several times a day, wheather-permitting. It is a breathtaking experience!

August is late winter- early spring. The weather can be very varied. But that goes for most times of the year (except Februray-March when the weather seem to settle, soft and warm and few days with hard wind). August is a nice time to come because you still have the wintervisitors and you might get lucky with early returning summer-visitors.

I hope your "sneaky-feeling" proves right because coming from Liverpool and going to Oz, I can't see how you could "stop-over" at Kaikoura, even if you take the (quit uncomfortable) route via the US, (Might be a lack of geography knowledge on my behalf.) without making a detour (and a very rewarding one!).

Enjoy your pelagic, your family can either join or enjoy the stunning scenery, have a great tramp, go and see seals, dolphins and/or Spermwhales!

And keep in mind, It's a great place but only one of several in New Zealand that have such a variety and abundance in bird-wildlife and sceneries on offer.

Cheers, and enjoy, I am sure you and your family will!
Leo

P.s.: By June a booklet about Birdwatching in NZ will be available. It will be at least available through ordering via the internet but if all works out it will also be available via regular bookshops (that sell a good variety in Birdbooks and Wildlifebooks). Just in time for you!

leovb said:
Hi John,

You don't need to book ahead for the Kaikoura-pelagic. It goes several times a day, wheather-permitting. It is a breathtaking experience!

August is late winter- early spring. The weather can be very varied. But that goes for most times of the year (except Februray-March when the weather seem to settle, soft and warm and few days with hard wind). August is a nice time to come because you still have the wintervisitors and you might get lucky with early returning summer-visitors.

I hope your "sneaky-feeling" proves right because coming from Liverpool and going to Oz, I can't see how you could "stop-over" at Kaikoura, even if you take the (quit uncomfortable) route via the US, (Might be a lack of geography knowledge on my behalf.) without making a detour (and a very rewarding one!).

Enjoy your pelagic, your family can either join or enjoy the stunning scenery, have a great tramp, go and see seals, dolphins and/or Spermwhales!

And keep in mind, It's a great place but only one of several in New Zealand that have such a variety and abundance in bird-wildlife and sceneries on offer.

Cheers, and enjoy, I am sure you and your family will!
Leo

P.s.: By June a booklet about Birdwatching in NZ will be available. It will be at least available through ordering via the internet but if all works out it will also be available via regular bookshops (that sell a good variety in Birdbooks and Wildlifebooks). Just in time for you!

Thanks for the reply mate
And for the advice. Nope you're right with your geography What I should have said was we can take in NZ too as part of the holiday.

It sounds fantastic I did a superb Pelagic of Sydney and queensland both were great but the sydney one was by far the best. But we had to go way way out off the continental shelf.
Well if you can recommend anywhere to visit as a family type not to miss palce I can always hire a car for the day and take off there. As long as there are birds there coincidently I mean Heeehee (none birding family )
Would love to see spoonbilled Sandpiper what are my chances in that area?
Cheers
John

Spoonbilled SP

Hi John,

Well I am afraid that Spoonbilled SP only occurs in NZ in a museum (if at all, which I doubt). Besides that it lookes as if musea will be the only places to see Spoonbilled SP's in the near future at all! But There are quit a few places good for birding and for families. I am only to familiair with the Birdwatchersdillema in that respect.
If you are in Kaikoura (how? you can fly direct via Wellington, or drive up there in appr. 2.5 - 3 hours from Christchurch) then I would recommend either the Marlborough Sounds or the Christchurch area.

It is beautifull almost everywhere in NZ but as beauty goes, the Marlborough Sounds are very well provided! For the family there is always a dolphin or two around and breathtaking scenery (you get pretty tired of typing that word everytime!), fantastic lodges and a nice little town (Picton). For you there are King-shags, Saddlebacks, some shearwaters and other shag-species can be expected and some endemic passerines and a lot of introduced ones.

Christchurch is a city where your family will be able to enjoy shopping, the art-centre or a stroll in the park and botanical gardens (good for birds also). Your family can also decide to go to the beach of Sumner (nice cafe to!) and you carry on exploring the rest of the Heathcot-Avon estuary. Absolutely worthwile birdwise! Lots of ducks, shelducks, geese, stilts, oystercatchers, 3 shag-species, and depending on the season bar-tailed godwits (and some chance of other plovers as well). 1.5 hours from Chrischurch (longer as you can drive alongside Lake Ellesmere where you might not be able to resist a stop for the numerous birds (black swans, duck-species, great white heron, white-faced, stilts and other shorebirds etc, etc...) lies Akaroa. It is the most known village on Banks Peninsula and offers trips to see or swim with Hectors Dolphins. On these trips birds as little blue penguin, Northern Giant petrel (Southern?), shearwaters are also possible. There is also a reserve nearby which has some nice endemic passerines also. bellbird, fantail are relatively numerous on the Peninsula but you can also find Brown Creeper and of the introduced Birds Cirl Bunting is certainly a nice one to look for in the foothills.

I hope this will give you some ideas. Of course there is more to see as I wrote but I think these places will give you and your family a nice time.

Enjoy your trip!Leo

Spoonbilled SP

Hi John,

Well I am afraid that Spoonbilled SP only occurs in NZ in a museum (if at all, which I doubt). Besides that it lookes as if musea will be the only places to see Spoonbilled SP's in the near future at all! But There are quit a few places good for birding and for families. I am only to familiair with the Birdwatchersdillema in that respect.
If you are in Kaikoura (how? you can fly direct via Wellington, or drive up there in appr. 2.5 - 3 hours from Christchurch) then I would recommend either the Marlborough Sounds or the Christchurch area.

It is beautifull almost everywhere in NZ but as beauty goes, the Marlborough Sounds are very well provided! For the family there is always a dolphin or two around and breathtaking scenery (you get pretty tired of typing that word everytime!), fantastic lodges and a nice little town (Picton). For you there are King-shags, Saddlebacks, some shearwaters and other shag-species can be expected and some endemic passerines and a lot of introduced ones.

Christchurch is a city where your family will be able to enjoy shopping, the art-centre or a stroll in the park and botanical gardens (good for birds also). Your family can also decide to go to the beach of Sumner (nice cafe to!) and you carry on exploring the rest of the Heathcot-Avon estuary. Absolutely worthwile birdwise! Lots of ducks, shelducks, geese, stilts, oystercatchers, 3 shag-species, and depending on the season bar-tailed godwits (and some chance of other plovers as well). 1.5 hours from Chrischurch (longer as you can drive alongside Lake Ellesmere where you might not be able to resist a stop for the numerous birds (black swans, duck-species, great white heron, white-faced, stilts and other shorebirds etc, etc...) lies Akaroa. It is the most known village on Banks Peninsula and offers trips to see or swim with Hectors Dolphins. On these trips birds as little blue penguin, Northern Giant petrel (Southern?), shearwaters are also possible. There is also a reserve nearby which has some nice endemic passerines also. bellbird, fantail are relatively numerous on the Peninsula but you can also find Brown Creeper and of the introduced Birds Cirl Bunting is certainly a nice one to look for in the foothills.

I hope this will give you some ideas. Of course there is more to see as I wrote but I think these places will give you and your family a nice time.

Enjoy your trip!
Leo

leovb said:
Hi John,

Enjoy your trip!
Leo
Thanks Leo
You covered a lot of need to know stuff. Yep I am sure there is a lot more too but that will do for me. I will use this info to try and persuade the boss to give NZ a well deserved lookover
thanks for your time
regards
John

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back