• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Are Skunks a protected species? (1 Viewer)

MLoyko

d[-_-]b
Hi all,

We have a bit of a skunk problem in our yard because skunks are fond of bird seed and it is abundant in my yard. My mom took it upon herself to talk to everyone and their mother about what to do and somebody said to her, "don't shoot them whatever you do, they are protected."

My question is, is this a true statement because I thought it could be but then again I didn't think it was. Thanks.

-Matt

but don't get me wrong, I wasn't planning on shooting them, I was just curious as to the truthfulness of the statement

Hi Matt

As Windward mentioned skunks are a rabies vector species, they cannot be relocated nor are they allowed to be relocated like other wildlife. So, you've got to think long and hard on this as trying to trap a skunk is really a bad idea. There is no way you would be able to release it without getting sprayed. I'm fairly certain, they are not federally protected.

I had a skunk that would visit every night until I ran out of corn. The dogs would bark and want to run out the front door to get that skunk. Their noise would set off my horses in the nearby pasture. It would eventually amble on down the street or across the street into the large pasture. When I didn't inlcude the corn the birds, my dogs and horses were all very happy. I tested this by putting out corn just last week and guess what! He showed up like clockwork. Bottom line for my skunk-- no corn -- no skunk!

Thanks to you all for the help,

My cat unfortunately got sprayed while I was at game one of the Phillies vs. Dodgers so I didn't have to clean him...he smells fine now.

They aren't allowed out at night now because of being sprayed and or the rabies I new they carried, we have raccoons and coyotes around here although I haven't seen a coyote yet.

as for the corn, I have corn out and sunflower seeds and that maybe have been what he was feeding on, but both are still out and they (3 of them) haven't been seen... maybe they got tired of me chasing them away.

again thanks for the help,
Matt

Mloyko,

I handle skunks for a living so I'd love to give some advice here.
If a skunk is shot in the head, the possibility of the Rabies Virus becoming airborne is very real. If the skunk is shot in the lungs, it is over 50% chance it will spray but more importantly, it may run to it's shelter, IE; under your home and then die. Not good, I don't recomend shooting them for those reasons in addition to firearms laws (discharge within 500 feet of a neighboring dwelling is prohibited here). Plus, it is not the best solution to the problem.
Trapping is effective if the person doing it knows what they are doing. Laws must also be known for your particular state. Many states prohibit relocating skunks.
Moth balls, fox urine, electric boxs etc etc are a waste of money.
The most effective solution and cost effective in the long run is to hire a professional. We can handle them in any situation, quickly and with no odor.
One more point is Skunks are the number one animal in the North East to die under structures. Once the animal dies under a home, it can sometimes be difficult to retrieve and if the glands rot after few months and the essence gets into the soil, you could have the smell for years.
Removing the animals is only part of the solution however, the really important part is excluding them (blocking openings) so they can't get back in again, next year. A professional is very concerned with that aspect of the job and a good question to ask anyone you may call.
Pm or ask away if you have any more questions
Go to my website and check out the pics on the skunk page.
Hey, BTW, great avatar, Hockey nuts here! Do you play? I have four that play plus me.
Pee Wee is a goalie.

http://www.shorelinewildlife.com

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back