• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Lyon France in Late July (1 Viewer)

buckskin hawk

Oklahoma Birder
I will be taking a trip with my daughter who is competing in a horse show in Lyon France in a couple of weeks. I will have some free time but it will be limited. This will be our first trip to France. Does anyone have any suggestions for a good spot to go and see a few birds?

Our trip also includes a tour of wine country and several area farms.

I will be taking a trip with my daughter who is competing in a horse show in Lyon France in a couple of weeks. I will have some free time but it will be limited. This will be our first trip to France. Does anyone have any suggestions for a good spot to go and see a few birds?

Our trip also includes a tour of wine country and several area farms.

There area few national parks like Vanoise, Ecrins and Queyras all more or less around Grenoble, which is not far from Lyon. These parks are all alpine in character with very beautiful landscape. Late July is a difficult time for birding but try some Alpine species like Golden Eagle, Alpine Accentor, Griffon Vultures etc. etc. Maybe http://www.holiday-france-farm-paulianne-bio-nature-camping.com/rubrique,birds,1375449.html or http://www.naturalist.co.uk/tours/vercors2.php can be of any help.

Thank you so much for the reply. I have a field guide and my itinerary has been set. I wish we had a few days to visit the Alps. We won't be that far from them and it is a shame to be that close and not take time a little visit. It will definitely be at the top of my list on my next trip to Europe. I will keep the sites you sent bookmarked.

Thanks again.

you're welcome. If you ever come to the Netherlands, I can be of more help ;-)
Have a nice time in France and good luck for your daughter and the horses.

Report from France

My trip to France was difficult. France was great but we had an unexpected death in the family and my daughter had to return after only three days. I could not catch a flight so I stayed and forged on by myself. We didn't rent a car but relied on trains to get around so I couldn't see any of the parks that were mentioned around Leon. It also rained 9 out of the ten days I was there which I hear is odd for France.

I was looking forward to getting in some birding at the horse show. It was held in the foothills of the French Alps. Great location but rain kept me in at times. I did see a wagtail on a rooftop through a window during a coaches meeting but couldn't get up to take a look. I did get to take some walks around the neighborhood of the show grounds and saw the usual doves and house sparrows. On the second morning of the show I was able to see a red kite traveling overhead. On one of my sightseeing stops in Reims, I found a city park with hawfinches, a European Goldfinch, Common Chiffchaff and a wabler that I am still trying to identify. (I will post a picture in the id folder.)

Here is my list:

Mallard reims FR-G 25 Jul 2011 2 Red Kite show day pne FR-V 22 Jul 2011 3 Herring Gull louve FR-J 27 Jul 2011 4 Rock Pigeon paris FR-J 20 Jul 2011 5 Common Wood-Pigeon paris FR-J 20 Jul 2011 6 Eurasian Jackdaw paris FR-J 20 Jul 2011 7 Carrion Crow paris FR-J 20 Jul 2011 8 Common Raven paris FR-J 20 Jul 2011 9 Barn Swallow show day pne FR-V 22 Jul 2011 10 Cliff Swallow train to leon and Meximieux FR-I 21 Jul 2011 11 Common House-Martin louve FR-J 27 Jul 2011 12 Eurasian Blue Tit train to leon and Meximieux FR-I 21 Jul 2011 13 Common Chiffchaff reims FR-G 25 Jul 2011 14 Yellow-browed Warbler reims FR-G 25 Jul 2011 15 Eurasian Blackbird reims FR-G 25 Jul 2011 16 European Goldfinch reims FR-G 25 Jul 2011 17 Hawfinch reims FR-G 25 Jul 2011 18 House Sparrow paris FR-J 20 Jul 2011

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back