• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Cackling Goose? - Ottawa, ON (1 Viewer)

tril42

Suzanne Britton
Canada
I'm wondering if the goose with the arrow pointing at it is a Cackling, or just a short-billed Canada. Photographed today (Oct. 13th) at Andrew Haydon Park.

Attachments

• goose.jpg
    goose.jpg
    789.9 KB · Views: 60
Body size is the same as the rest. So if the rest are Canadas, then I think it's a Canada
They do all look shorter billed than the ones I see on the west coast.

I don't think size alone can determine--there is overlap between the size of the smallest Canada Geese and the largest Cackling. I don't know if this goose's bill is stubby enough for it to be a Cackling, though.

I personally would not be comfortable with Cackling in this case. Certain features do suggest it (especially head and bill), but I notice a few things here.

1. Same size as the rest of the geese (already covered and responded to in posts above, though)
2. Same color as surrounding birds (Cackling often paler, especially on feather edges but there should be an overall paler tone)
3. To me the head and neck look "pasted on" to the seemingly robust and long body, which strikes me as wrong for Cackling.

What is going on with the other geese, though? They all look to be around the same size, and many birds seem to show muted Cackling characteristics while others look like fairly standard Canadas.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back