• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Feisol tripods questions (1 Viewer)

David99

I can't afford Gitzo tripods so I have been looking at Feisol as an alternative based on price and reputation. But I cannot decide between the 3342 and 3372 models. I need a new tripod for two reasons, birding using the Nikon ED82A and photography using a Nikon 300m f2.8 with a 1.4TC (and maybe the x2TC).

I feel the the 3372 might be overkill for the scope but would the 3342 be able handle the the 300mm lens and TC? And if I buy a gimbal head would the 3342 be able to handle that too?

Would be very interested to hear from anyone with experience with a similar set up.

Thanks

I have the 3372 and my first impression was that it looked big and heavy, but was soo light!
I have no other experience with others, but I now know I have a tripod that will surely outlast me ;-). Very pleased.

A friend of mine picked up a mint Feisol CT-3342 on FleaBay for 100 quid and both he and I can confirm that it is a quality product - even at normal retail price!
Cango's recommendation of the heavier version is probably spot on.
For your 300mm F2.8 lens the 3342 is spot on (works grat with my Canon 300mm f2.8 + 2x extender) - and it is far from shabby with a 500 F4.
However (in my opinion) you need a more rigid tripod for a scope than you do or a lens. My Gitzo 3530LS and 1329 Mk2 are absolutely fine for my Canon 800mm F5.6 but both start to get a bit wobbly for my Kowa scope. Obviously it is not the weight - it is the higher magnification that will exaggerate any vibrations- so the thicker the legs the better!
Whilst the Feisols are fine tripods, have you hunted around for prices? I have found UK high street shops are about the cheapest - I picked up a used G1329 Mk2 for 100 quid - with an additional carbon center column - this is my go-to tripod for scope work. I won't say what I paid for my new Gitzo's or they will hit me! Suffice to say they were a lot cheaper than Hong Kong!

Thanks for your advice, very helpful. John, I must admit that it had not occurred to me that the scope would be a deciding factor but what you say makes perfect sense.

I have had the Feisol 3372 for a few years now and it worked superbly with my Canon 300/2.8 IS lens + Jobu Gimbal. I have not tried the 3342 but can confirm that the Feisol tripods are superb.

Hello,

just to put my opinion about Feisol.

After much thinking for a lightweight tripod by Feisol, i was among the Tournamnet and Elite series. I wanted a lightweight and steady enough product.
I had contacted with the Feisol Europe and they adviced me to nuy the Elite series for my 500mm f/4 lens.
I ordered the 3472CT Rapid version.
I have to say that i am impressed and absolutely happy with the tripod.
Lightweight but with quite thick legs, easy to extend and use it, very steady at the low 1st leg position and with few shaking with the 4 sections extended, but i think that's very logical at that height posiotion with about 5kg on the tripod.

It was a great purchase for me anyway, very happy with it.

David, i haven't tried the 3342 but i believe it you can use it with out any problems with a 300mm f/2.8 and even 2x Extender on.
But it's true that with the scope it may be better to go with the 3372 as the thicker carbon legs will be steadier at high magnifications.
They are very light anyway, so you will not have any issues with thw weight.

George

I've had my 3471 rapid for about 4 months now (elites were out of stock) and I just cannot fault it, I use it for both my 600 and 300 2.8... Couldn't recommend them highly enough

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back