• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

DBA 8 x 42 Loose Central Hinge (1 Viewer)

dustyjk

Hi,

Does anybody know how to tighten the central hinge on a pair of Opticron DBA VHD 8x42?

I've tried researching it, but can't find an answer.

Thanks,
Justin

Hi Justin,

IMHO its best to let Opticron do it, they offer excellent customer care, also if Pete Gamby reads your post I`m confident he will advise you on this matter.

john.

As mentioned, you need to remove the tripod adapter cover at the objective lens end of the binocular.

Then, you should remove the small grub screw on the underside of the objective lens end hinge.

Now you can adjust the tension using a large flat blade screwdriver.

When the tension is set, replace the grub screw and the tripod adapter cap.

Cheers, Pete

As mentioned, you need to remove the tripod adapter cover at the objective lens end of the binocular.

Then, you should remove the small grub screw on the underside of the objective lens end hinge.

Cheers, Pete

I know this is a late response but I felt I should respond as to how my effort to achieve what seemed like a really easy task following Pete’s simple instructions on how to tighten your hinge on your Opticron DBA VHD Binoculars. If you do not have a flat head optometrists micro screw driver, which they use to remove the very tiny screws out of the side arms of ones eyeglasses “ Forget It “ you wont be able to get it out. Fortunately I happened to have a set of those instruments and I was able to get it out ... did I mention the size of that grub screw is about the size of a tiny nat. So you better be working over a very large flat piece of WHITE paper, because if it falls onto a rug or on to a dark floor you will not be able to find it. The next step should be easy ... no, that large flat head screw driver which is needed to be used to tighten the hinge is a odd size with a slimmer head than anything I had in my tool box. Thank fully I have a watch makers kit with all sorts of screw drivers, one being a horizontal adjusting two prong instrument which excepts different size screw driver heads. This enabled me to get to the 2nd part in completing this task. I am thinking I am almost done. I just need to tighten the hinge. Then put back the hinge cap, so far so good. Then just put in the grub screw, retighten and I am done. The grub screw being so tiny, even with the help of a magnifier it took 10 minutes more of dropping and resetting before that grub screw was finally reset/tighten. If you are thinking of doing this yourself , even if you have all the proper tools it’s going to be a pain in the AS... :eek!:

Last edited:

Cheers, Pete

Thanks Pete for the instructions. I just did one myself but next time I am going to let a Opticron technician do it.

Last edited:
Hi Justin,

IMHO its best to let Opticron do it, they offer excellent customer care, also if Pete Gamby reads your post I`m confident he will advise you on this matter.

john.
I wonder if Justin took your advice? From experience speaking .... sometimes it’s best left to the professionals. No matter how many tools you have at home to do the job, a simple task does not always end up being so simple.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back