• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birds fae Torry (9 Viewers)

A good inch or so of snow was on the ground in Torry this morning. Most of the marsh in Nigg Bay was frozen over, but waterbirds were still along the burn: eight Teal, at least five Snipe, three Moorhen and fairly showy Water Rail. A Fieldfare and a Bullfinch were are also about.

The best bird in the afternoon around the Ness was a Short-eared Owl, showing nicely around the Battery. Two Mute Swan flew north offshore before settling in Aberdeen Bay. Several Purple Sandpipers were unusually close by, on the shore below the Battery.

Attachments

• SE Owl_Girdle Ness_020219a.jpg
    SE Owl_Girdle Ness_020219a.jpg
    76.5 KB · Views: 39
  • SE Owl_Girdle Ness_020219b.jpg
    SE Owl_Girdle Ness_020219b.jpg
    80.8 KB · Views: 40
  • Purple Sandpiper_Girdle Ness_020219a.jpg
    Purple Sandpiper_Girdle Ness_020219a.jpg
    212.1 KB · Views: 27
  • Purple Sandpiper_Girdle Ness_020219c.jpg
    Purple Sandpiper_Girdle Ness_020219c.jpg
    243 KB · Views: 23
  • Purple Sandpiper_Girdle Ness_020219d.jpg
    Purple Sandpiper_Girdle Ness_020219d.jpg
    290.6 KB · Views: 29
Thanks Ben! It was a similar story this afternoon, with the Short-eared Owl again showing well. It was also good to see the pair of Stonechats again, though the male and female were quite some distance apart from one another, the male in Greyhope Bay and the female by the Coo. A male Red-breasted Merganser was in Aberdeen Bay and a Goldeneye flew south. I saw the pair of Mute Swans again, flying northwards over the harbour at dusk.

Attachments

• SE Owl_Girdle Ness_030219a.jpg
    SE Owl_Girdle Ness_030219a.jpg
    109.2 KB · Views: 44
  • SE Owl_Girdle Ness_030219b.jpg
    SE Owl_Girdle Ness_030219b.jpg
    134.5 KB · Views: 35
  • Stonechat_Girdle Ness_030219a.jpg
    Stonechat_Girdle Ness_030219a.jpg
    157.9 KB · Views: 22
  • Stonechat_Girdle Ness_030219b.jpg
    Stonechat_Girdle Ness_030219b.jpg
    185 KB · Views: 21
  • Stonechat_Girdle Ness_030219c.jpg
    Stonechat_Girdle Ness_030219c.jpg
    112.8 KB · Views: 24
I had a quick look around this afternoon. Not many birds (no sign of the owl) but there was this Otter eating a fish on the harbour breakwater.

Attachments

• Otter_Girdle Ness_040219a.jpg
    Otter_Girdle Ness_040219a.jpg
    203.5 KB · Views: 53
I was around in the afternoon as well. My bird recognition skills are not a patch on yours, both visually and aurally, so I'm never surprised that I don't spot a fraction of the species which you detect. I always spend time looking for otters though, and have some chance of separating them from seals. I am most dischuffed, therefore, that I missed the otter. I have not spotted one for some time, but I will now redouble my efforts when I cycle through the area, as I do, every couple of days.

Some nice images, not been to Torry yet, must make the effort once I'm fit again, due in hospital for a bit of minor surgery next week, so I hope the Otter will hang around for a while, we don't usually see them in daylight down at Montrose.

Thanks for the comments. I seem to see Otters here a lot more often than I used to so keep your eyes open. Exposed areas on the breakwaters around the harbour mouth are good places to look. The north breakwater is particularly good.

Some interest in Torry over the weekend. Yesterday was unexceptional, with a female Red-breasted Merganser in the harbour about the best of it. A female Stonechat was again in Greyhope Bay.

Today the highlight was a Siberian Chiffchaff, hanging around with the tit flock in the small conifers west of the Nigg Bay waterworks. It showed quite well on occasions, although I didn't hear it call. It looks as if something's tried to rip its tail out. Also around were two Goldcrests, ten Teal and six Moorhens. A flock of at least ten Yellowhammers was near the marsh - the highest count I've ever had here.

Attachments

• Siberian Chiffchaff_Girdle Ness_100219a.jpg
    Siberian Chiffchaff_Girdle Ness_100219a.jpg
    243.9 KB · Views: 34
  • Siberian Chiffchaff_Girdle Ness_100219b.jpg
    Siberian Chiffchaff_Girdle Ness_100219b.jpg
    340.1 KB · Views: 26
  • Siberian Chiffchaff_Girdle Ness_100219d.jpg
    Siberian Chiffchaff_Girdle Ness_100219d.jpg
    357.7 KB · Views: 23
  • Yellowhammer_Girdle Ness_100219a.jpg
    Yellowhammer_Girdle Ness_100219a.jpg
    176.3 KB · Views: 26
  • Yellowhammer_Girdle Ness_100219b.jpg
    Yellowhammer_Girdle Ness_100219b.jpg
    200 KB · Views: 16
Torry owl

I was around the Ness yesterday for a couple of hours with nothing out of the ordinary to report, dropped by today with wife in tow, (who is not into birding in any form) and met this beauty near the Battery car park. Headed off and landed on the small hill behind the allotments.

Jim

Attachments

• 119_001.jpg
    119_001.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 32
  • 119_002.jpg
    119_002.jpg
    90.9 KB · Views: 17
  • 119_003.jpg
    119_003.jpg
    88.1 KB · Views: 28
  • 119_004.jpg
    119_004.jpg
    86 KB · Views: 27
Down at Victoria Bridge,a pair of Goosander were on the Dee.Nothing strange about that,I know.However,the male was at the waters edge,eating bread from a lady and her young son,as they threw It In the water.

The female kept her distance but the male came In very close.I've never seen that before.

We've got a few (up to about 10 or so) that turn up in winter on a local pond in Dundee and compete with the Mallards and gulls for the bread etc. Tamest ones I've seen were on the Ness at Inverness a few years ago which looked like they would've taken food from your hands.

It's been a while since I've been able to get out around the Ness. Not too much this afternoon in blustery conditions. A Red-breasted Merganser was around the harbour mouth, where there was also plenty of Bottlenose Dolphin activity. The best bird was a Shelduck heading north out to sea - often a tricky bird to catch up with here.

A look around the Nigg Bay area this morning was much as expected. 16 Teal were in the marsh - quite a high number - and there were also four Moorhen and three Snipe. A Water Rail was seen fairly well along the burn. A pair of Bullfinches were near the embankment. Around the waterworks there were at least five Goldcrests and a Chiffchaff was heard (and sounded like a 'regular' Chiffchaff).

A bit quiet here over recent days, but at least there was some better weather today. Yesterday there were three Yellowhammers by the allotments. Today a sign of spring was my first Lesser Black-backed Gull of the year. At sunset I had prolonged views of an Otter, busily feeding in the shallows at the edge of the harbour. What sharp teeth they have.

Attachments

• LBB Gull_Girdle Ness_190319a.jpg
    LBB Gull_Girdle Ness_190319a.jpg
    358 KB · Views: 19
  • Otter_Girdle Ness_190319a.jpg
    Otter_Girdle Ness_190319a.jpg
    256.8 KB · Views: 35
  • Otter_Girdle Ness_190319b.jpg
    Otter_Girdle Ness_190319b.jpg
    289.9 KB · Views: 30
A glorious day on my early trip from Cove Bay to Torry today. Rafts of Auks near Cove, increased numbers of Eider inshore, swarms of flies in the light breeze, still only Lesser Celendine in flower really, Trump's turbines inactive, the harbour development looking about a year behind. Spring looked to be really coming.

I tend to have low expectations in March but today produced a somewhat anticipated patch tick. I was walking along the railway embankment near the waterworks late morning when I heard a deep rolling call. I looked up and saw a large corvid overhead. It then soared about over the marsh, gaining height and calling as it went. It glided around for several minutes before disappearing from view: my first patch Raven. In fact it's the first I've seen anywhere near Aberdeen city. News that they've recently become established south of the city had encouraged me to think they might eventually find their way to the Ness, so this was a little bit on my radar. This bird seemed to be doing a territorial flight, so hopefully it will appear again and on a regular basis.

Otherwise, a Chiffchaff was singing by the waterworks, a Water Rail gave good views along the Burn and there were two Redwings, eight Snipe and five Teal.

Attachments

• Raven_Girdle Ness_230319a.jpg
    Raven_Girdle Ness_230319a.jpg
    35.2 KB · Views: 34
  • Raven_Girdle Ness_230319b.jpg
    Raven_Girdle Ness_230319b.jpg
    29.9 KB · Views: 24
  • Raven_Girdle Ness_230319c.jpg
    Raven_Girdle Ness_230319c.jpg
    27.2 KB · Views: 24
  • Reed Bunting_Girdle Ness_230319a.jpg
    Reed Bunting_Girdle Ness_230319a.jpg
    149.2 KB · Views: 25
It's always nice to spot a Raven, isn't it Andrew. I hope they do manage to get established beside you.

A quiet day today in rather blustery conditions. There was some significant progress Purple Sandpiper Totaliser-wise:

Boom! Not much else, although the male Goosander (one of three) was showing well in the harbour.

Attachments

• Goosander_Girdle Ness_240319a.jpg
    Goosander_Girdle Ness_240319a.jpg
    238.8 KB · Views: 27

Users who are viewing this thread

Back