• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

anyone using a FZ47? (1 Viewer)

I just got a Lumix fz47 and haven't decided if I like it or not. Is anyone else using one of these? Is there anything comparable that would be better for bird pictures?

What is it that leads you to be undecided whether you like it or not, and what type of bird pictures do you aspire to take please?
Answers to these questions will help people to help you.
Graham

Sorry if I wasn't clear. I'm not sure if I like the camera for a couple of reasons, the main one being that it doesn't use RAW format, and I am not sure how well it will end up handling in the field, since it seems a bit slow from the time I snap the picture and the time it registers the picture.

The types of pictures I take are mainly landscapes, city shots, and close-ups in my garden. I haven't had a digital camera that was equipped to take close-ups of the birds I see when I am hiking or on the lake by my cabin, or sometimes at my feeders. I am strictly an amateur who takes pictures for the enjoyment of myself and my birding friends.

I hope this is sufficient info. The camera came from Amazon and I have 30 days to decide if I will keep it or get something comparable. There's not much in the way of consumer opinions on the 'net on this model, probably because it is a newer model. So I am just looking for another FZ-47/48 owner to compare notes with.

I have used a superzoom for several years and did not find that it could save an image fast enough for RAW to be a viable option when taking images of birds. If you want to have raw and enough reach to do bird photos, then I would recommend you to look at micro4/3 or dSLR.

If you can live with a jpg output for bird photos, then a faster focusing superzoom (according to the notes by other people here in BF) would be the FZ150.

Hope this helps

Niels

....... There's not much in the way of consumer opinions on the 'net on this model, probably because it is a newer model. So I am just looking for another FZ-47/48 owner to compare notes with.

Have you checked dpreview? They have a forum section on Panasonic cameras. You can read there without being registered. But if you want to participate, you need to register just like here. A quick search showed much more on the FZ150 than on the FZ47. But here is an example that might be of interest: http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1033&message=40160353

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back